Save Files Location

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

spanner_pig

Save Files Location

Post by spanner_pig »

The other day I was playing Earthbound on Zsnes. For those who have played, there is a screen after you've saved which says 'power off or reset', which requires an action of either of those; a screen of which you cannot get off. Stupidly, I saved state there and then. When I logged back in, I was on that screen and I couldn't get off, never mind which button I pressed. I'm so far in the game, I do not want to start again.
So I was wondering, where does Zsnes save the save files? I was wondering that if I go into the designated folder on my windows pc I may be able to trace a save file before the impossible one to load and do that one. But I can't find where it goes. Is it in the actual Zsnes software, if so, how to I get onto it? Or is it accessible by my computer, if so, what are the steps to get into that on windows 7? Thank you for your help. :)
A single rose, my entire garden; a single friend, my entire world.
fabian
Rookie

Re: Save Files Location

Post by fabian »

On my system, the save state is saved in the same directory as the ROM with a .zst file extension.
spanner_pig

Post by spanner_pig »

fabian wrote:On my system, the save state is saved in the same directory as the ROM with a .zst file extension.
I apologise, but I don't know what that means, how do I access that? All this jargon has me confused :( I would be grateful if you cold tell me:)
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

spanner_pig wrote:The other day I was playing Earthbound on Zsnes. For those who have played, there is a screen after you've saved which says 'power off or reset', which requires an action of either of those; a screen of which you cannot get off. Stupidly, I saved state there and then. When I logged back in, I was on that screen and I couldn't get off, never mind which button I pressed. I'm so far in the game, I do not want to start again.
So I was wondering, where does Zsnes save the save files? I was wondering that if I go into the designated folder on my windows pc I may be able to trace a save file before the impossible one to load and do that one. But I can't find where it goes. Is it in the actual Zsnes software, if so, how to I get onto it? Or is it accessible by my computer, if so, what are the steps to get into that on windows 7? Thank you for your help. :)
Ok, basically, unless you've also made an in game save before you save stated on that screen, then you have lost all your gameplay and can't get it back.

Zsnes by default saves the save state file in the same place where your ROM(the game itself) is located. These files are saved with the same name as the game but with a .zst file extension(So if your game is called earthbound.srm then the save state file would be earthbound.zst).

Here is the thing, every time you use a save state, you aren't creating a new file, you are overwriting the same file(unless you are saving to different save state slots). So locating the zst file isn't going to help you at all.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

On the upside, we know for a fact he's actually saved in-game this time, since he's stuck in the "save&quit" screen.

Load the game. DON'T load your save state(either by pressing F4 or by going through ZSNES' menu).

DO press start on the title screen and use the load menu IN THE GAME.

If ZSNES is set to auto-load states, then load the game, then hit reset in the menu. I think that will do it for you.

As far as "jargon" goes...
ROM = ROM image = the game you downloaded.
Save state = the save created with the emulator's "save state" command, as opposed to the save created by the game itself.

Directories and file extensions are basic computing concepts. If you literally do not know how to use your computer, there's not a lot we can do to help.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
spanner_pig

Post by spanner_pig »

This is ridiculous. I had to start again seeing as I was stuck in that one. Then I saved state on another save, next time I turned on the computer, it had gone and it said 'unable to load state 0.' so I tried Snes 9x. That installed on my computer but won't load Earthbound. I guess I'm destined to not play this game :(
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Well, you aren't missing much. Earthbound is a terrible game.

But why are you using state saves instead of in-game saves anyways? Especially after being bit in the ass by them once already?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Earthbound is a terrible game.
hahahahahaha

hahahaha
haha
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Earthbound is a terrible game.
hahahahahaha

hahahaha
haha
He's crying on the inside, folks.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Paula fainted.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

but seriously, i trully want to know what the game-dev smoking when they made that earthbound game. It must be something 'good'.