Joystick making samus aim diagonally in super metroid

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

zoider10

Joystick making samus aim diagonally in super metroid

Post by zoider10 »

Ok so unless my memory is really bad, i dont recall it being possible to have samus aim diagonally in super metroid with anything other then L and R (Unless you changed in-game controller config) and right now if i push the joystick right/left+up and right/left+down she'll aim that way as if L or R was pushed and its starting to get annoying trying to shoot somethin and end up shooting diagonally. I'v looked through every setting this emulator has in an attempt to fix this, i even tried the D-pad which does the same thing. Anyone know how or why the joystick is making her push L and R. Heck i dont even have aim down bound.

Im using a wired microsoft xbox 360 controller and im far from a noob to emulators. Iv recently been using another SNES emulator but the graphics for super metroid were buggy, so i switched to zsnes which fixed the graphics but now i have the problem the samus aiming diagonally with the slightest movement of the joystick. Please help, took me 4 trys to do the mockball which i can normally do no problem...
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Joystick making samus aim diagonally in super metroid

Post by paulguy »

As far as I remember super metroid always let you do that, and doubtful a bug in any emulator would make that change anyway. Different emulators might be a bit better behaved with it comes to axes, though. However, I'd look in the configuration files since I believe there are some settings related to axes that might help you. Otherwise, just use the d-pad.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Samus aims diagonally when you hold a diagonal direction. The problem is that she also moves when you do so. The L/R button feature comes in to handle the cases where you want to aim but not move.
As a sidenote, holding both L and R make you aim upwards. No shortcut for aiming downwards, but you don't have to hold the direction, just tap down once while in the air.

To cover your issue, increase your deadzone, else you'll have to hit a perfect 0 on the Y axis to aim horizontally while moving.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

And I'm morbidly curious what emu you were using before that was exhibiting glitchy graphics. You find an old copy of NLKSNES or something?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

zsnes 1.36 or 1.42 I think had some weird thing but nothing major. Just that one bottom-most scanline on the status bar that scrolls, but that's all I remember. You still see the occasional let's play with that particular bug.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Somehow this makes me laugh, it's as if someone made a thread saying "the B button makes Mario run, how do I fix this?"
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
joemoe

Post by joemoe »

Old thread and I am not sure if I am having the same issue as maybe the OP was not clear to what they meant.

My issue has to do with the way Samus runs diagonally however I have found out that this issue happens in all games tested so far. When I hold right + up on the d-pad the character runs right and aims diagonally upwards. This is the expected behavior. However, when I transition from right + up to just up then Samus keeps running right and aiming diagonally. This is not whats supposed to happen. Same effect when aiming down and running.

So I tested another game to see there was something wrong with the rom. I tested actraiser and during the cloud scene when I am moving the cloud around surely enough holding right + up and then transitioning to just up acts as if you are still holding right.

So I thought it could be my controller setup. Maybe I have sticky keys. I am using a PS3 controller on a zsnes 1.51 install on Fedora 19. I am using xboxdrv to emulate the PS3 controller (its awesome by the way highly recommend it). I test out the controller button presses and there is no sign of the controller sending improper inputs. Holding up and right shows values of 255 and 255 (depending on how hard I am pressing the buttons) and then transitioning to just up I get values only for the up at 255 and 0 on the right dpad. So the xboxdrv past the test and is working fine.

It appears as thought the zsnes is not deactivating the right dpad functionality after releasing right but not up (or down). This happens for all directions though. Up + Right, Up + Left, Down + Right, Down + Left.

I did another test but this time with the keyboard as the controls. Sure enough the keyboard has no issues. There is no diagonal issues going on. When I hold Up + Right and then release Right Samus looks straight up. This is the expected behavior of the game. So the keyboard keys work just fine. However the Gamepad does not.

So maybe the ZSNES has issues with the way the gamepad was emulated so I tried a logitech gamepad controller. Sure enough this thing has the same results as the PS3 controller.

So as far as I can tell there is an issue with how the ZSNES is emulating the gamepads on linux. At least on Fedora 19 64 bit installation.

I played this on the Ubuntu 13.10 32 bit installation and it did not have these problems. However, the zsnes was freezing after 35 minutes of being open but thats another issue for another thread.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

ZSNES has nothing to do with input capture. Blame SDL/directinput8 (depending port), those are what's telling it that → is still held when you think it isn't.

Which means you need a larger deadzone, or a better pad.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Try --dpad-as-button to xboxdrv.
joemoe

Post by joemoe »

Which means you need a larger deadzone, or a better pad
The DPad works fine. This happens with all gamepads. The dpad only acts like that when I am holding Up + (any direction). If I hold Up on its own its fine. The issue only triggers when I go Up + (any direction) and stops when I release all directions.

Is there a way to configure the SDL or is it just going to be like that until an update?
Try --dpad-as-button to xboxdrv.
Thanks paulguy, This actually worked for me.