(DON'T DELETE!!) ZSNES HTML Help Topic

The official forum for ZSNES documentation. Discuss future changes, mistakes, etc...
You can also join us on IRC at irc.freenode.net in #zsnes-docs.

Moderators: ZSNES Mods, ZSNES Doc Team

AspiringSquire
Born to Rule... Impatiently

Post by AspiringSquire »

I'd still like to hear opinions concerning text-wrapping vs limiting the number of characters per line... It would probably look better to insert line breaks. Though most, if not all, text viewers would wrap around when displaying the text, right? ... Should it be done? If it is to be done, what width should be used as the standard? 80? 78? Does anyone know what the lowest value is that is ever used as a standard for line width (for best possible compatibility)?
[url=http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3298][color=brown]My [u]NES palette[/u][/color][/url] - better colors with any emulator.

"the more you know, and the more you can do... the more you are."
- [url=http://www.danielbohman.com][color=brown][u]daniel bohman[/u][/color][/url]
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

72 chars is pretty much the most compatible width you can find, although 80 chars is fine, since I haven't heard of anyone who uses 72-char width terminals.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

I found a link that *might* be helpful in solving the style.css problem with IE:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171943

Maybe one of you 1337 HTML coders can take a look at this. :P
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

This just popped into my head:

It would be a good thing to add a "Back to Top" link at the end of each help section, so the user would have to manually scroll the page back up.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Or they can use the "Home" key. :)

But if you want...
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Also, now that have just scrolled through the entire help file, there should a section detailing how to use the Nintendo Super System.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Still no progress on IE compatible docs....? Without IE compatibility the help file will not look right.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

I've been REALLY busy this week. I should get a chance to look at the problem tomorrow.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Agozer wrote:Also, now that have just scrolled through the entire help file, there should a section detailing how to use the Nintendo Super System.
All I know about this is that some games have no good dumps AFAIK, and I think that the game files have to be named in a certain way.
tvtoon
Rookie

Post by tvtoon »

About HTML in plain DOS, there is a browser called Arachne, which really runs HTML docs very good... Now, if i could recall some site to download -_-...
[url=http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/tvtoon/Avatares/th_tvlogo.png]GO LOGO, GO![/url]
<Renze> "IRC, where men are men, women are men, and 14 year old girls are FBI agents"
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

xxcunix wrote:About HTML in plain DOS, there is a browser called Arachne, which really runs HTML docs very good... Now, if i could recall some site to download -_-...
But would the average user really download that just to browse HTML files in plain DOS?
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Agozer wrote:
xxcunix wrote:About HTML in plain DOS, there is a browser called Arachne, which really runs HTML docs very good... Now, if i could recall some site to download -_-...
But would the average user really download that just to browse HTML files in plain DOS?
Might be worth mentioning.

A link to Google with the keywords "arachne browser" should suffice.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Or we could, you know, just post the real link.

http://browser.arachne.cz/

It sounds like it doesn't support CSS, though.

"It supports subset of HTML/4.0 specification, including tables, frames, imagemaps, forms, and includes built-in HTTP, FTP, POP3, SMTP and other internet protocols."
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

I've updated the HTML file, no thanks to yous guyz ( :lol: j/k)

Please see post #1 in the thread for full details. Feedback would be nice! :wink:
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Clements wrote:I've updated the HTML file, no thanks to yous guyz ( :lol: j/k)

Please see post #1 in the thread for full details. Feedback would be nice! :wink:
Very nice! :) A couple of comments though:

- In the Navigation, it should be just "Default Keys", not "ZSNES Default Keys".
- When I click "The Debugger" and "Contact Information", the section does not appear in the right spot on the screen (when compared to the others).
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Thanks, I fix those and edit this post when I've finished uploading the new files. I was bound to miss some stuff! :lol:

The Contact Info one is not a bug BTW, it's at the end of the page, and the Debugger problem is also not a fault of the Help file since it occurs in a web browser. Probably the <a id="debugger"></a> is in the wrong place, or the code immediately before it is not separated from it or something with a </> causing it to jump too early by one line.

Edit: Uploaded, same links as before.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

I've just uploaded a new wip of the latest cvs (same filename), it (hopefully) fixes that issue. I have also made another small change to the GUI page, so you can make a new CHM if you want.

BTW, can you use CVS? It's the best way to get the latest version of the docs.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

IceFox wrote:I've just uploaded a new wip of the latest cvs (same filename), it (hopefully) fixes that issue. I have also made another small change to the GUI page, so you can make a new CHM if you want.

BTW, can you use CVS? It's the best way to get the latest version of the docs.
I'll update with the new stuff. I could use CVS if you want, or update only when you put a WIP up, I don't mind.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

BTW, do you think you can fix style.css for IE-browser viewing as well? I would be eternally grateful if you could. :P
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

IceFox wrote:BTW, do you think you can fix style.css for IE-browser viewing as well? I would be eternally grateful if you could. :P
Heh, I wish I could. Changing the margin size to 5 in the navigation in style.css sort of fixes IE, but not completely I think.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

I have another idea:

Maybe the filename for the chm should be "ZSNES Documentation.chm", and the titlebar in the chm should say "ZSNES Documentation - v1.43" to match with the HTML pages a bit. :)
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

Clements wrote:
IceFox wrote:BTW, do you think you can fix style.css for IE-browser viewing as well? I would be eternally grateful if you could. :P
Heh, I wish I could. Changing the margin size to 5 in the navigation in style.css sort of fixes IE, but not completely I think.
nothing wrong with having two style sheets.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

IceFox wrote:I have another idea:

Maybe the filename for the chm should be "ZSNES Documentation.chm", and the titlebar in the chm should say "ZSNES Documentation - v1.43" to match with the HTML pages a bit. :)
Done.

New help file+source now using April 11th, 04:56 GMT+1 CVS.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Clements wrote:
IceFox wrote:I have another idea:

Done.

New help file+source now using April 11th, 04:56 GMT+1 CVS.
Thanks, but the link to the CHM is broken. :( The link to the source works, though.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Forgot to put in the underscore. Works now.