zsnes on linux!!!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

nenyo
Rookie

zsnes on linux!!!

Post by nenyo »

I have been looking for an easy way to run zsnes on linux. ive tried to use wine but that did not work. i couldn't figure out the install instructions in the src pkg so i gave up on it for a while. i then had the idea of looking for an rpm of zsnes for mandrake. instead i found a debian install pkg. inside was this (not compressed)

zsnes.tar.gz

Is this legit? if so why does Zsnes not make this the distributed file on the zsnes homepage? its a good file. it works just like the windows version. no need to install. its not an exe file so i dont need to run it through wine.
nenyo
Rookie

Post by nenyo »

well sry... i take that back about it working... ok it worked yesterday but not it doesn't. WHY DONT THE KEYS WORK???!?!?!?!? :evil:
Richard C.
Lurker

Post by Richard C. »

i dont mean to be rude, but how the hell can you not understand this, AND USE LINUX???
Latest ZSNES release: [url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com]ZSNES 11/12/06 WIP[/url]
Latest NSRT release: [url=http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/]NSRT 3.3 Final[/url]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

What he said.

皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
nenyo
Rookie

Post by nenyo »

ive only been using linux for a week or so. i just switched from windows
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

Why did you switch to Linux?
nenyo
Rookie

Post by nenyo »

windows was getting ANOYING. on my laptop windows freezes up a LOT and cashes all the time. i had to reinstall it a every 3 months just to get a minimal amount of perfomance. i only have 30 GB HDspace so with windows always filling it up with temp crap i filled up REALLY fast (thats about all that went fast). i switched to linux because i had heard great thilngs about it. when i did everything ran smoothly. i got good performance, speed, and its all pretty user-friendly as far as i'm concerned. FYI im running mandrake 10.1 (good newb linux) on an averatec 3150 laptop. 1.6 GHZ amd athlon-xp-m 256 mb ram 30 GB hard drive.

i do understand a lot and can figure out most problems. what i dont understand is why zsnes cant have a good working linux version that is a single executible file, even if it is just a version under wine that works.
Player1
Hazed

Post by Player1 »

don't blame Zsnes and learn how to use linux first.
andrewd18
Rookie

Post by andrewd18 »

Mandrake. ROFL. No wonder the install thing was tough on you.
http://nextgen.no-ip.org
nenyo
Rookie

Post by nenyo »

whats wrong with mdk??? everything is very easy to use, although there are quite a few glitches here and there
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

You just answered your own question...
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Zuzma

Post by Zuzma »

You had to reinstall windows xp every 3 months? I don't remeber exactly when I installed xp but I think it was a year or two ago. That's kind of weird that you'd get crashes and lockups all the time like that. Did you have a firewall, virus scanner, adware removal tools, proper web browers security settings, all the critical update patches and dangerious services disabled? As far as temp stuff goes you can erase most of that stuff on your own or get some kind of application to do it for you.

Edit: :D Oops you didn't say which windows it was. Still if I was going to use windows I'd use 2000 or XP. 9x and ME just don't cut it really. I remeber back when I was running windows 98 if I had too much stuff open and was trying to do alot of work the system would blue screen or just crap out.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

zuzma wrote:9x and ME just don't cut it really. I remeber back when I was running windows 98 if I had too much stuff open and was trying to do alot of work the system would blue screen or just crap out.
My Win98se install is 6 years old and running fine. I can let it run for a week or two without problems. Not that I do it, since I'm on linux most of the time now.
WinME.... MEH.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Zuzma

Post by Zuzma »

Well I ran some pretty intense stuff on it (photoshop, rendering applications, video encoding etc while multi-tasking which I probably shouldn't of been doing in the first place =P ). Plus it was off of my old shitty compaq. I'm talking an ati rage pro with a 400 Mhz PII /w 64MB of ram. I dunno maybe I was just unlucky with 98. Bleh and windows ME is 100x worse *shrudder*.
nenyo
Rookie

Post by nenyo »

ok... yes it was winxp. yes i had virus scanners (norton 2003 and avg) i had firewalls (winxp firewall, sygate, and a router) i did run everything i could on it however like photo and video apps. pretty much everything from Adobe that i could get my hands on. the problem is most likely that i was running it on a laptop with low memory low HD space and low cpu speed.
the fact remains linux is working wonderfully even with the glitches of mdk. i plan to switch to debian in the future but fow now this is a great newb distro.

im trying to install the linux version of zsnes but im running into some problems
http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 9111#39111
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

*sigh*

I didn't mean --prefix=~/bin *literally*. Try using ~, by itself, then replacing the ~ in --prefix=~/bin with the resulting /-delimited path.
nenyo
Rookie

Post by nenyo »

:shock: should have seen that i guess. well it still doesn't work i get the other error.

==================================================
checking build system type... configure: error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one
==================================================

any thoughts???
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

What CPU do you have?
nenyo
Rookie

Post by nenyo »

not sure exactly what you mean but i have a 1.6 GHZ AMD Athlon-XP-M mobile on an aveatec 3150
B;lly
Rookie

Post by B;lly »

Federa Core 3 worked flawlessly on my laptop, while Mandrake 10.1 had loads of problems. I would definitely recommend Fedora to any newb, and especially to newbs with high-bandwidth internet because the automatic updates are sweet! It will update all of the thousands of programs automatically for you... ie., if a new version of Firefox released tommorow, it would not be a long time before Fedora upgraded it.

/*Off subject
At the same time I'd have to recommend Windows Server 2003, which I get free from my school. I've actually been using it more than Linux. Again, I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't use it.
*/

The only "problem" I had when installing zsnes is that I had to download the latest SDL rpms, cuz 1.2.7 wouldn't work...
"Opinions are immunity to being told you're wrong
Paper, rock and scissors, they all have their pros and cons"
--Relient K
nenyo
Rookie

Post by nenyo »

ive heard about some problems with fedora as well. at least on my laptop its supposed to screw up when mounting usb stuff and not support acpi very well. also i heard that you have to update all the time. i might try it later but for now ill stick with mdk.
I'm still stuck btw with trying to install zsnes. (please try to speak in terms that a linux idiot would understand)