Translation Release #50 - Cave Story

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

After you find the dragon and climb up the outer wall.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Holy shit this game is fucking awesome. Usually I do all kinds of stupid stuff in these games to get a non-standard ending, and hey it didn't work as much as I thought it would.

2 playthroughs so far:
#1-
got machinegun+turbo, super launcher, fireball, blade, bubbler
50 HP, 30 Missiles max
killed Booster and let Curly drown Mwahahaha
beat the doctor with the mimiga mask on (who cares about talking to humans)
when you don't have the Spur, just machinegun Misery, the 2 forms of the doctor, then blade Sue and Misery to death before inflicting serious rocket prejudice. You don't even need the life up thingy.
zomg died once (1 'hidden' spike pit - machinegun helps a lot avoiding those later)
Aside from the mimiga (booster-less) final stage, a pretty classic first game.

#2 -
got spur+whimsical star, super launcher, fireball, bubbler, nemesis (aka 'scrap-useless when you have the spur')
50 HP, 30 missiles
let Booster alive and saved Curly from drowning - dried her up, took her with me, didn't fix her memory (fscking badge and lack of clue, 'bzzzzt' fucker)
got booster 2.0, stopwatch, hidden stage (troll badge weee)
died a freaking lot of times but only in the labyrinth - lack of machinegun + no booster v0.8 -> no flying over enemies
'normal' ending here too

How many endings are there ? Is the 'running away cowardly with Kazuma' an ending ?

Currently started #3, up to egg corridor #1 -> goal is 'do weird shit (like, replying YES to Curly when you've defeated her) + get the snake this time to see if it's worth getting the nemesis'

Instead of hacking the Profile.dats, you could have looked at the picture data, it's not compressed/encrypted. Get a decent image viewer that can load .PBMs and you're set.

I still miss the fang + shroom (will probably find how to get it this time around) + panties + kitten badge + lipstick + heart badge.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

The kitten badge is the Alien Medal. You have to defeat the big fish boss in a certain way that I never figured out in order to get it.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

There are three endings, including the wimps ending. Things I've heard make me think there might be a fourth ending, but I've never found it if there is.

I've found everything in the game except the beast fang and the panties. I've heard other people talk about finding the panties, but never anyone else talk about the beast fang, so that might not be in the game.
Zuzma

Post by Zuzma »

I'll give you a hint. The panties are near where you first meet curly.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

...Don't tell me it has something to do with fish dude.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Cyan wrote:I'll give you a hint. The panties are near where you first meet curly.
In the sand zone?
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

grinvader wrote:Instead of hacking the Profile.dats, you could have looked at the picture data, it's not compressed/encrypted. Get a decent image viewer that can load .PBMs and you're set.
They're actually BMPs with an incorrect extension.
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

Metatron wrote:...Don't tell me it has something to do with fish dude.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That would be hilarious, considering how the fish guy's been driving you up the wall this whole time...

Anyway, the item's description says it's found on the wall, I thought? Maybe we should go back to that house at odd times and search around...

(Grinvader, answering "Yes" to Curly's question just stops you from proceeding 'til you say "No." You can't kill the Mimigas, unfortunately.)
Stifu
Regular

Post by Stifu »

grinvader wrote:Currently started #3, up to egg corridor #1 -> goal is 'do weird shit (like, replying YES to Curly when you've defeated her)
lol, I did stuff like that the first time I played the game, it was just natural to me...

But yeah, great game, I'm going to start a new game... It would be cool if the game supported more than one save at once though.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Stifu wrote:It would be cool if the game supported more than one save at once though.
Just rename your Profile.dat to anything with a more explicit filename, like Profile_machinegun_savedcurly.dat

So there are 4 'endings'...
- wimp one (no staff roll)
- normal one (staff roll)
- special one "why only 50 HP ? why ?" in less/more than 5 minutes
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Zuzma

Post by Zuzma »

Noxious Ninja wrote:In the sand zone?
Yup. Also if you don't care for hints I'll just alter my post and give you the answer.
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

Cyan wrote:
Noxious Ninja wrote:In the sand zone?
Yup. Also if you don't care for hints I'll just alter my post and give you the answer.
No, no, then it would be too easy. Is there a specific time frame where the... uh, item is available? Is there some silly sidequest or do we just go to the designated spot and grab the item?
Zuzma

Post by Zuzma »

Damnit! It should have said near where you first fight curly. I don't think there's a specific time frame either and no quest.

Edit: I found out something kind of interesting about the game. Dwedit from The whirlpool message board figured out that there was savestates built into the game.

Quote from Dwedit: "Go to the only menu resource and duplicate the Debug Save item. It will only hide the first one when the game is played. Run the game in windowed mode to get the menu. Use "profile.dat" as the name of your savegame (backup the original!). "

That's all done with a resource hacker by the way. I wonder if there's just a command line switch for it.
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

Hmm! Found 'em!

Another hint: the map system isn't as useless as it first appears...
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

Gigafreak wrote:Hmm! Found 'em!

Another hint: the map system isn't as useless as it first appears...
Haha, found it. That hint made it obvious.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Yeah, I found it too. Thanks for the hint. :D
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

Seriously. Try using the map during the fight against the giant fish. The map is, apparently, a secret-items locater.
Stifu
Regular

Post by Stifu »

I found something new (I think) about how to really save Curly...
Anyone managed to do it so far ?

Short summary:
-Get rope before boss
-Tie rope to Curly
-Put Curly in bed in that little room...

Once you've put her in the bed, you need to check the books on the left of that little room, that'll teach you how to drain the water from Curly's body !
After you've done that, just talk to Curly, and here you go... She'll wake up, talk to you a bit, then fall asleep again... Then you can take her on your back.
She'll still disappear after the boss fight though, but maybe she's somewhere to be found afterward this time... Unless you need to do another thing before fighting the boss... Or maybe you should actually leave her in the bed after having drained the water from her body...
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

You are on the right track Stifu. You take her with you and after she washes away in that fish fight, you'll encounter her again later.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

The mushroom was the worst part of the whole 'save curly' quest. On a side note, the secret cave is absolutely awesome. I've oozed out so much adrenaline, I think I'm gonna put it in a bottle and sell it to drug dealers.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

grinvader wrote:The mushroom was the worst part of the whole 'save curly' quest. On a side note, the secret cave is absolutely awesome. I've oozed out so much adrenaline, I think I'm gonna put it in a bottle and sell it to drug dealers.
When I first got there, I thought "Wow, Grinvader would love this game".

Let me know when you manage to make it through without being hit.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Noxious Ninja wrote:When I first got there, I thought "Wow, Grinvader would love this game".

Let me know when you manage to make it through without being hit.
The boss is a real bitch. Can't even finish it without the life jar, and that's when everything went fine (lots of hearts on the way). Die fucking angels die mwahahaha feel my blade you wenches.

I'm thinking about getting the machinegun and nemesis, then try it again. I'd have some use for infinite flying.
Unless the Spur is a required item to unlock the cave...

I still have some weird shit to try. Find the lipstick, panties, fang... Get a full game, in a way.
Poor King. I'm not even talking to him even once anymore.

Also, I have to try a really stupid one with the Polar Star and the hermit. What happens if you never use it (much) ?
Never grab xp with it on, break the ~2 blocks, escape the critters, then refuse to fight Balrog, clear the Egg corridor with missiles only, Igor too (ouch, hard one...), get the fireball, then immediately back to grab the bubbler and keep at it for the rest of the game... Ouch, I expect trouble in the Sand area there.
I pretty much got everything post-blade ok now. The blade owns so much and yet it's still fun.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

The developer should be given a link to this thread. He might appreciate it.
Stifu
Regular

Post by Stifu »

The blue mushroom is that secret boss you guys were talking about ?
I beat him rather easily, no need for a second try, I didn't have to use my heart jar either... Maybe I was lucky. *shrugs*

By the way, anyone know what happens to that Mimiga with glasses, the so-called "number 2" of the village ? "Jack", is it ?
The last time I could see him was in jail, along with Sue and that other guy... But then he disappears with Sue and I don't remember seeing him again anywhere.