Translation Release #50 - Cave Story

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Metatron wrote:You acquire the Clay Figure Medal by clearing the Hidden Cave, the boss drops it all the time I think.
Yeah, I don't know why I had that marked with ???.
The Little Man is that little guy in the Graveyard, talk to his wife in the Outer Wall first.
I've never seen either of them. Where is she in the Outer Wall?
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

You know that door underneath Kazuma in the Outer Wall? Use the Booster to get there. There's the Little family. Talk to the wife and child.

Now go to the Mimiga Village Graveyard. Clear all enemies. He's hard to see, but you'll see a tiny man walking around. Talk to him to acquire him. Take him back to his wife.

You can then talk to him again to trade the Blade for the Nemesis Gun.
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

Metatron wrote:You know that door underneath Kazuma in the Outer Wall? Use the Booster to get there. There's the Little family. Talk to the wife and child.

Now go to the Mimiga Village Graveyard. Clear all enemies. He's hard to see, but you'll see a tiny man walking around. Talk to him to acquire him. Take him back to his wife.

You can then talk to him again to trade the Blade for the Nemesis Gun.
Pretty much. You jump off the right edge of the Outer Wall and use the Machine Gun or Booster to steer yourself into a tiny opening directly beneath the main platform. Watch out, there's a gap in the floor a little bit into the opening.

If you want the Blade back you can talk to him again. You can swap the two as many times as you like.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

What the... there's a Mac version. No fair. Where's the open-source Linux version?
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Well, the heart container and chest collected states aren't in their own tidy blocks. They're mixed in with the script state flags, so figuring out which flag controls which item is somewhat tough.

I've deciphered some of the scipt states, and I could conceiveably map out every event in the entire game, but it would be an awful lot of work.

Zuzma: I haven't spent any time on save slots yet. That's the next thing I'll look at.
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

Weird things happen when you do things you're not supposed to be able to. If you hack it so your max health is far above its normal level, the max health will reset "back" to 232 shortly after collecting each Health Container.

Now, a completely HONEST trick without hacking. (I did hack the savefile during this runthrough. Heh. But this has nothing to do with that.)

After defeating The Doctor twice, speak to Chaco a few times. She will admire your strength and compare you to the mimiga hero Arthur. Several of the mimigas in the room will blush and hearts will appear over their heads.

You're probably wondering where I'm going with this. The thing is, they're the same hearts that restore your health. GRAB THEM.

(When I did it I was still wearing the Mimiga mask. This might have some impact on wether the trick works.)

...For some amusement, speak to the mimiga NEXT TO Chaco while you're still fighting.

"You have some interesting priorities."
Zuzma

Post by Zuzma »

Noxious Ninja wrote:Zuzma: I haven't spent any time on save slots yet. That's the next thing I'll look at.
Ah that's okay. I just was wondering about those values I was playing around with. I know they work I just don't know why or how they work. Don't break your back over finding the maps again either since I already have a complete list. It could probably use an overhaul though since I'm a lazy slob. Mostly with some of the descriptions and general layout. =P
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

I submitted the news to Whirlpool(others too I'm sure) but they haven't updated since january 21. I wonder what's up.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

Laziness :p
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

The game must have a wierd design in its sound engine...

This machine, my barebone home machine, plays it just fine, but only if you use the low res and 256 color mode. Its a K6-2+ 500 with a 4meg S3 Virge gfx card...

So I tried it on my Mom's machine, a Pentium 200 MMX with a Riva TNT. It plays it fine at any res and color depth. I filled the screen with explosions and sprites and that 200Mhz machine didn't care... BUT, half of the sound channels for the music are missing! WTF?

Its running an older Directx. Could that be the problem?
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
MorteTheSkull
Hazed

Post by MorteTheSkull »

Alright, I'm gonna sound real stupid, but how do I get this game to work? You say it's like, compressed in some weird format or something? Unless I missed something in the readme, I think it just says how to apply the patch. Sorry if this is a stupid question...
"Did you see the way that female zombie was looking at me?"
"You're imagining things, Morte."
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

LZH? It's similar to .zip in nature. Just extract it with winzip.
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

LHZ is hot in Japan. :wink:
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Why IS LZH used anyway? Is it better than other compression formats or what?
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Agozer wrote:LHZ is big in Japan. :wink:
Fixed.
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

Metatron wrote:Why IS LZH used anyway? Is it better than other compression formats or what?
From what I can tell, it's the Japanese equivalent to ZIP, it's just popular.
Everything I say is a lie.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Kieran wrote:
Fixed.
Eh, whatever.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Agozer wrote:
Kieran wrote:
Fixed.
Eh, whatever.
Sorry, I was not correcting grammar, it's just a Tom Waits song. Never mind.

Back on topic: Cave Story has finally appeared at the Whirlpool.
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

Hey! I was about to post how you save Curly... But I take it you leave her after you drain her? Or do you take her with you and let her float off at the end of the boss fight? I'm a little confused.

God, this game kicks ass. We should make an FAQ for it. Its complex enough for it.

Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Take her with you. She reappears in the bottom right corner of the Plantation. Along with her panties, but I have NO idea how to get those.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

I spent an hour trying to do it, and I couldn't find them, either.

I need to tidy up my hacking guide a bit and post it over at AGTP.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

The robot in the Power Room wants some stuff to make a bomb. I have Charcoal and Jellyfish Juice, but where do I get the Gum Base?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

creaothceann wrote:The robot in the Power Room wants some stuff to make a bomb. I have Charcoal and Jellyfish Juice, but where do I get the Gum Base?
Talk to kazuma in the shelter through the crack and you will recieve the 'Gum Key'. Then go right to the fans and jump to the building in the top right corner of the room.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Thanks. :wink:
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

Metatron wrote:Take her with you. She reappears in the bottom right corner of the Plantation. Along with her panties, but I have NO idea how to get those.
Plantation? When do you hit that?