Translation Release #50 - Cave Story

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

AND ALL THE ROCKETS YOU HAVE FOR THE BIG ROBOTIC BLOCK!!!!

Seriously.

Spur is indeed your best option for the Sacred Grounds. If you have a Life Pot and are able to keep it with Ballos last for, you can you insanely shoot lv.2 beams while standing near the top of him.

Is it even possible to beat Ballos under 5 minutes without hacking?
_-|-_
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

I got 5 minutes and 0.5 seconds on my best no-hack Sacred Grounds run. There are videos of people getting times of less than three minutes, with insane skill. (They probably don't use the Gravis Gamepad Pro, like the one I'm stuck with.)

Oh, I got 2 minutes and 58 seconds on my best hacked run (232 health, infinite super missiles), if you're curious.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Damnit! I broke my gamepad when I whas figting Ballos! It was his last form and the directoinal buttons just went 'crs-napp!' on me! Gaaah!
Now I have to use my brother's gamepad.

Is Ballos extremly hard to defeat if you don't have the Spur? I don't feel the blade makes enough damage on his last form.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

If you kept some missiles for ballos, use them against his last form. There's a safe spot, at that.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

I would imagine that Blade Lv. 2 and Machine Gun would both own Ballos Final.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Actually, Lv.3 Blade 0wned a lot more than Lv.2. Probably beacause he has such a big target area, + it slaughters angels in the meantime.
But you should absolutely use Lv.2 on his secound form.
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

The Super Missiles can wipe out Ballos's last form in three to five seconds if you just stand in his eye and mash the Attack button. How fast can Blade Lv. 3 do the job? The Machine Gun?

Also, don't use Missiles on the Heavy Press (Giant robot block) if you have the Nemesis. Just stand directly beneath the weak point and fire upwards as quickly as you can, so Curly fires up into it at the same time. It's not as quick as using the Missiles, but you'll need as many as you can carry for Ballos's second and third forms (both of which will take a LOT LONGER without missiles than the Heavy Press will).
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

You people use gamepads? Pfft, tahts for wusses ;P

Real machos like me use ye ol' keyboard.

Well, only because we real machos don't have the money for a gamepad, which would be quite fine for fighting games.
_-|-_
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

MisterJones wrote: Real machos like me use ye ol' keyboard.

Well, only because we real machos don't have the money for a gamepad
You know what would be really macho?

Stealing one!
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

Johan_Hanberg wrote:
MisterJones wrote: Real machos like me use ye ol' keyboard.

Well, only because we real machos don't have the money for a gamepad
You know what would be really macho?

Stealing one!
So this is why Grand Theft Auto is so popular?
bungiefan

Post by bungiefan »

Metatron wrote:OK, I need to know. Did I miss out on some secret by trading in my Polar Star for the Machine Gun from Curly Brace?

I mean, after I did it it hit me that the hermit was sleeping. Maybe if he woke up...
You miss out on the Whimsical Star defensive item at the end of the game, and the option of trading in the Polar Star for the Snake or Spur gun. There are a total of 9 guns in the game, but you can only possess a maximum of 5 at once.

Also, who here found the hidden item "Curly's Panties" or is it "Curly's Underwear"?

EDIT: I guess so. That teaches me to post in a topic after not being on a board in months, and only reading the first few pages...
Metatron wrote:The kitten badge is the Alien Medal. You have to defeat the big fish boss in a certain way that I never figured out in order to get it.
Beat the boss without taking a single hit to get the Alien Badge.
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

bungiefan wrote:
Metatron wrote:The kitten badge is the Alien Medal. You have to defeat the big fish boss in a certain way that I never figured out in order to get it.
Beat the boss without taking a single hit to get the Alien Badge.
If for some reason you forget this objective, bring up the map during the battle.
nailbiter
Rookie

Post by nailbiter »

Damn, I should have played this game sooner, a lot sooner.
Anyways I have played through twice now and the second time I made it to the Sacred Grounds. The Sacred Grounds is HARD but fun at the same time. I havent had a rush like this just playing a game in a long time.

BTW I haven't actually beaten the Sacred Grounds yet.
The board is cursed, and so am I.
[quote="kilivipin"]I clean my blocked up toilet with a magic boner, too.[/quote]
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

nailbiter wrote:Damn, I should have played this game sooner, a lot sooner.
Anyways I have played through twice now and the second time I made it to the Sacred Grounds. The Sacred Grounds is HARD but fun at the same time. I havent had a rush like this just playing a game in a long time.

BTW I haven't actually beaten the Sacred Grounds yet.
Be careful with your gamepad. I speak from experience. :(
nailbiter
Rookie

Post by nailbiter »

Johan_Hanberg wrote:Be careful with your gamepad. I speak from experience. :(
I wish I had a gamepad.
Unless you count that cheap 2$ (not kidding) one I have, but it only cost 2$ for a reason.
The board is cursed, and so am I.
[quote="kilivipin"]I clean my blocked up toilet with a magic boner, too.[/quote]
Amadalus
Rookie

Post by Amadalus »

Well, I just started this afternoon and I must say that the flareball KICKS ASS
"HA! What IS this? Sacred Tome!? More like...Sucky...Dumb...Thing!" - Lord Zetta
Quetzocotl

Post by Quetzocotl »

A keyboard works fine with me, I've beaten the sacred grounds plenty of times, although I'm probably promoting carpal tunnel syndrome.

Well anyway, I never get missiles. I always skip the missile lanucher for a multitude of reasons.
1- You have less weapons to switch through in a jiffy
2- You get more exp. and health pickups.
3- You can entirely skip the baby dragons boss in the egg corridor (You can anyway, but you won't get the extra missile pickup)
4- The blade and *snake manage to destroy heavy press and Ballos only slightly slower, without having to worry about conserving ammo or any of that nonsense

* The snake is my favorite weapon by far. The snake-like movement makes it easier to hit your enemy. It's also great for going through the third floor of hell alot faster than you normally would be able to because of it's ability to go through walls, and it does pretty good damage. I love it. Not good for Ballos though, because it goes through walls, but not through a select few objects, such as ballos's body, and its wave motion makes it more likely to hit his body instead of his eye, but thats where the blade comes in.

Anyway, onto some secrets that I discovered that weren't mentioned yet-
Spoiler Alert

-If you are a fan of the missile launcher, skip the missile lancher extra ammo pickups in grasstown and come back when you have the super launcher, that way you get even more max missiles for the sacred grounds.

-No one really mentioned how to get Chaco's Lipstick. To get it, examine the fireplace in her house in Grasstown before the jellyfish appear. She will tell you that you need jellyfish juice to put it out. Instead of leaving, sleep in the bed while she is standing next to you. When you wake up she will be asleep in the bed and you will have the lipstick.

-The secret behind getting the Alien Badge in the waterway is not getting hit at all when fighting the big fish.

-If you use the life pot that Jenka gives you in the sand zone, the puppy near the entrance to the final cave will give you another one.

-Theres a stash of exp, launcher ammo and health if you fly up from outside of the entrance to where Misery is.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Hmm, you bumped an old topic out of the grave....
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Yeah, but it's useful and relevant.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Still, I think it's worthy of a mention that Aeon Genesis has released a number of patches for Cave Story.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

It also has nearly 200 replies.

To this day I still find it slightly amazing that Cave Story's the most popular of my releases. Not that it's not a great game at all, but...
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

I think it's because of two reasons, first being that it's a fairly new game compared to most you translate, it's had a lot of recent news items on all kinds of gamessites. And second the fact that it's freeware, so people can just download it right there, they don't have to go out of their way to find it.

Or so I would think.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Carnivol
Rookie

Post by Carnivol »

Yeah, you should be proud of it!

Seriously, that little game has pretty much gotten attention in every gaming/computer magazine I browse through every now and then, during the irpast couple of issues
~empty zig space for rent~
Quetzocotl

Post by Quetzocotl »

I found this game about a month ago, and I haven't been able to stop playing it since. I've atleast played it through 5 or 6 times, and I'm about to go through again to find out whats so special about using the map system when fighting the fish boss (shh, don't tell me), that is if there is something special..

EDIT- I've also decided to turn this run into my 3 hp run (aka no health capsule pickups), lets see how far i get, heh