finishing Star Ocean

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

MasterThief_Locke

finishing Star Ocean

Post by MasterThief_Locke »

:roll: umm. i was just wondering when star ocean will be complete thanx :lol:=]
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

The only replies that you will get here are from angry nerds who will make a pun on your name and will generally flame you.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Hey ChocolateThief_Locke, how's about you learn the dang japanese language and do it yourself?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

It's already a pretty good translation...
bringing Zsnes back
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

I wish Darkforce would just declare DeJap officially dead already on the main page, whether it is or isn't, just to stop these kinds of questions!
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Nightcrawler wrote:I wish Darkforce would just declare DeJap officially dead already on the main page, whether it is or isn't, just to stop these kinds of questions!
Yeah, I have to agree with you.

What is the matter, people do not appreciate the hard work they've done so far (since, at one point it looked like SO was never going to get translated) and always ask for Final versions? It's not like there are huge chunks of untranslated dialogue or anything.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

Hell, it's called the Final Version 1.0 (although supposedly one day there will be a 2.0 Final). I beat the game well before that version came out, and had no problems. *Concurs with Nightcrawler and Agozer*
Everything I say is a lie.
The Sage Of Time
Hazed

Post by The Sage Of Time »

I'm curious..
How complete "is" the SO translation? I mean, what is there missing from it exactly?
I've been meaning to try out SO for a long time, but I never was clear on this.
I do however, get the impression for all intents and purposes it's a "complete" translation. Is that right?
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

The Sage Of Time wrote:I'm curious..
How complete "is" the SO translation? I mean, what is there missing from it exactly?
I do however, get the impression for all intents and purposes it's a "complete" translation. Is that right?
The only thing I know of is that they wanted to do the voiceovers into English.
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

kevman wrote:
The Sage Of Time wrote:I'm curious..
The only thing I know of is that they wanted to do the voiceovers into English.
The Yes/No dialog boxes are untranslated as well the last time I checked.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

And, IIRC, Tomato said that the text that was made into the patch was not as polished as he would like it to be, so he wanted it to polish it some more.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

The Star Ocean translation is better than nothing. Just enjoy it as it is.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

Joe Camacho wrote:And, IIRC, Tomato said that the text that was made into the patch was not as polished as he would like it to be, so he wanted it to polish it some more.
Cidolfas was in charge of all the final polishing, though I do feel we kept too close to the original. But I'm still 100% OK with leaving it as it is. As far as I know, the only things that needed to be done were the Yes/No bubbles - which was kinda hard since that was graphics pack stuff, and possibly voices, which I was no longer in charge of but I know work had sorta picked back up on it maybe a year ago. And maybe fixing whatever bugs were found. And maybe some formatting. But other than that the actual translation itself is fine. It's not professional quality, but still plenty fun, right?
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Tomato wrote:
Joe Camacho wrote:And, IIRC, Tomato said that the text that was made into the patch was not as polished as he would like it to be, so he wanted it to polish it some more.
Cidolfas was in charge of all the final polishing, though I do feel we kept too close to the original. But I'm still 100% OK with leaving it as it is. As far as I know, the only things that needed to be done were the Yes/No bubbles - which was kinda hard since that was graphics pack stuff, and possibly voices, which I was no longer in charge of but I know work had sorta picked back up on it maybe a year ago. And maybe fixing whatever bugs were found. And maybe some formatting. But other than that the actual translation itself is fine. It's not professional quality, but still plenty fun, right?
Oh yes it is, it definitely is, sorry to bother you. :oops:

That's what I remember, the game is pretty good as it is.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Nightcrawler wrote:I wish Darkforce would just declare DeJap officially dead already on the main page, whether it is or isn't, just to stop these kinds of questions!
Speaking of the home page, someone needs to update the link to the Dejap forum on the Dejap site. It now takes you to the development forum, which explains why there have been a couple of Dejap related posts there.
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

Link's fixed. Thanks for the tip.

I actually have a PHP system made for people to record their voice clips and upload them. However, there's a recent bug discovered in the way Apache treats PHP scripts which makes it easy for a hacker to delete any file that PHP has access to. I need to find some kind of workaround that before I can put it up (for stuff besides the voice work, too).
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Cidolfas wrote:However, there's a recent bug discovered in the way Apache treats PHP scripts which makes it easy for a hacker to delete any file that PHP has access to. I need to find some kind of workaround that before I can put it up (for stuff besides the voice work, too).
Oy, that sounds bad. Where could I find more information about that?
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

WHAT?!?!?!

And not release the little project I'm doing for him?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Noxious Ninja wrote:
Cidolfas wrote:However, there's a recent bug discovered in the way Apache treats PHP scripts which makes it easy for a hacker to delete any file that PHP has access to. I need to find some kind of workaround that before I can put it up (for stuff besides the voice work, too).
Oy, that sounds bad. Where could I find more information about that?
Well, PHP can't create a file unless it has write permission to a directory.
Once PHP has write access to the directory...
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Cidolfas »

Exactly. -_- There's a large chunk of RPGClassics.com that relies on that as well. We need to find some way to protect against it or the entire kit and caboodle is useless.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Tomato wrote: It's not professional quality, but still plenty fun, right?
Nonsense. Compared to Breath of Fire 2, it's QUITE professional.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Nach wrote:
WHAT?!?!?!

What is this project?
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Stomping Nitrofish wrote:
Nach wrote:
WHAT?!?!?!

What is this project?
A project I and others here have been flamed multiple times for.

Post by Nightcrawler »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Tomato wrote: It's not professional quality, but still plenty fun, right?
Nonsense. Compared to Breath of Fire 2, it's QUITE professional.
A 12 year old's Mario Brothers hack with mario's penis is more professional than that steaming pile of crap translaion for Breath of Fire 2!
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Tomato wrote:
I haven't played through the Star Ocean patch, but I did play through Tales of Phantasia and thought a few too many liberties were taken there.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about sticking closer to the original.
TOP's script came out a little over the top as opposed to a professional script in my opinion, but of course TOP's script was done in an uncontrolled non corporate enviroment, so that's to be expected I guess.