AoL's shameless Samsung Galaxy S4 plug

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

AoL's shameless Samsung Galaxy S4 plug

Post by adventure_of_link »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/pers ... v/1987799/

While I'm super pumped for this phone, if Google or even Samsung doesn't address the epic failures of Android 4.2.x, this'll be one ugly release... :| unless there'll be a way to put even vanilla or custom firmware 4.1.2 or something on it instead.

And it'll be out in Q2 of this year. Just in time for my double-annual upgrade. :D
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 announced today.

Post by snkcube »

Those bugs in that link seem to mostly affect the Nexus devices, so the S4 probably won't have the issues. The hacking community for Android devices is quite popular, so you'll definitely see popular ROMs like CM on the S4.

Anyway, I have to wait another year before my contract is up. By that time, Samsung will announce the S5. Haha.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

epic failures? haven't seen any of them on my n7. were they already resolved in 4.2.1 or 4.2.2?
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

Yeah that list is pretty old, and most have been addressed in 4.2.1 and 4.2.2. Also, those are the bugs in AOSP, and any phone maker (or even custom rom builder) will clear those bugs up in their builds. Samsung's TouchWiz is a major customization and wouldn't stand for such major bugs.
~Bent
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

odditude wrote:epic failures? haven't seen any of them on my n7. were they already resolved in 4.2.1 or 4.2.2?
I know the intermittent slow charge is present even on 4.1.2, though for the most part it charges fine.

and 4.2.2 wouldn't sync my PS3 controller via sixaxis. I LOVE that thing.
snkcube wrote:Those bugs in that link seem to mostly affect the Nexus devices, so the S4 probably won't have the issues. The hacking community for Android devices is quite popular, so you'll definitely see popular ROMs like CM on the S4.
Awesome. Can't wait to get back into the CM fray.. Besides, I've heard that most of the new gimmicks loaded onto the S4 are ho-hum at best right now.
snkcube wrote:Anyway, I have to wait another year before my contract is up. By that time, Samsung will announce the S5. Haha.
yeah really... on the other hand as far as I know it went from S2, then S3, then Note 2, now S4.
Bent wrote:Yeah that list is pretty old, and most have been addressed in 4.2.1 and 4.2.2. Also, those are the bugs in AOSP, and any phone maker (or even custom rom builder) will clear those bugs up in their builds. Samsung's TouchWiz is a major customization and wouldn't stand for such major bugs.
Interesting... then perhaps I'll have to find the latest CM for the Nexus 7 based off 4.2.2 and give it a go. I've been DYING to dual boot it with Ubuntu anyway. Also I'd have to find the latest stock firmware for the N7 and give that a go first to be sure I'm not hallucenating or whatever.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
odditude

Post by odditude »

adventure_of_link wrote:
odditude wrote:epic failures? haven't seen any of them on my n7. were they already resolved in 4.2.1 or 4.2.2?
I know the intermittent slow charge is present even on 4.1.2, though for the most part it charges fine.

and 4.2.2 wouldn't sync my PS3 controller via sixaxis. I LOVE that thing.
never had that problem. latency sucks, though, so i just use a usb otg cable unless twitch timing doesn't matter.

i wish htc still made stock phones. loved my g1, love my g2, wish there had been a g3. while i don't really need a hw keyboard, it's awesome for emulated rpgs or tetris dx. limited key rollover makes contra even more hilarious than on a gpp.

although my dream phone would be a modern gsm xperia play, as built by htc, running stock android. too bad that'll never happen.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Dammit, this thread title always makes me check it for bots. Fixing.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: AoL's shameless Samsung Galaxy S4 plug

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Wait, there's a new pocket computer coming out? And it offers incremental technological improvements over the old one? WILD!
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
odditude

Post by odditude »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Wait, there's a new pocket computer coming out?
and all teh hertzes have moar gigas!!1!one!
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

odditude wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Wait, there's a new pocket computer coming out?
and all teh hertzes have moar gigas!!1!one!
Quadrupled even!!!!

and grin, sorry about that.. :/

and now to get this somewhat back on track:
odditude wrote:never had that problem. latency sucks, though, so i just use a usb otg cable unless twitch timing doesn't matter.

i wish htc still made stock phones. loved my g1, love my g2, wish there had been a g3. while i don't really need a hw keyboard, it's awesome for emulated rpgs or tetris dx. limited key rollover makes contra even more hilarious than on a gpp.

although my dream phone would be a modern gsm xperia play, as built by htc, running stock android. too bad that'll never happen.
USB OTG eh... seems interesting. looks like I'll have to pick one of these puppies up. Does it make sixaxis work on _any_ device, even most modern HTC devices (and the few Samsungs that had problems with BT over sixaxis)? Same goes for regular USB game controllers too. (hey even if sixaxis doesn't work, that's OK -- I should be able to find my PSX -> USB conversion, somewhere... and get a new-ish PS2 controller and have it that way. :D)

and too bad that HTC, like pretty much every other named company, has to add their own bullcrap ontop of Android anymore (Touch Wiz, Sense, motoblur IIRC, etc) :(

And yes. there needs to be a more "modernized" Xperia play. it seems like they made one around 2011 or so, then fizzled into nothingness.
NSRT here.
odditude

Post by odditude »

adventure_of_link wrote:Does it make sixaxis work on _any_ device
no. the device has to explicitly support USB OTG (i.e. USB port can function both in host and device mode).
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

To bring this back to light, it comes to T-mobile on the 24th and Sprint three days later. No word on the other major carriers ATM.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/17/ ... -next-week

FWIW, unless you're a newbie to Sprint, go somewhere else. Seriously. everywhere else is charging ~$200 for the 16GB one, but Sprint feels the need to charge $50 more, as well as tack on a $38 or whatever new activation fee. Not to mention newbies get a $100 discount, existing customers aren't gonna get jack shit.
NSRT here.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I'm happy enough with my Google Nexus 4, which I didn't have to buy under contract, with the web / new activations only $30/m 100 minute, unlimited texts and data (5GB at 4G speeds) plan from T-Mobile.
odditude

Post by odditude »

ditto. love my n4 - although the latest cm10.1 M release seems to have a battery-draining bug (i'm seeing heavy usage by System that wasn't there in the previous M).
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I'll probably get this next upgrade if the screen is any good. OLED screens have potential (vita has a nice screen) but a lot of phones with OLED screens look kind of bad, like note 2 and the old droid incredible.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

odditude wrote:ditto. love my n4 - although the latest cm10.1 M release seems to have a battery-draining bug (i'm seeing heavy usage by System that wasn't there in the previous M).
I believe they have a memory leak as well. At least that's how it appeared to me when I was using the last monthly on my Galaxy Nexus.

AOKP just pushed out their first 4.2 milestone. No major complaints yet.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Ah, I haven't tried any custom ROMs yet, just using vanilla 4.2.2.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

kode54 wrote:Ah, I haven't tried any custom ROMs yet, just using vanilla 4.2.2.
Nothing wrong with that. Apps have come a long way in bringing great functionality without requiring root. I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus. When it became apparent my Nexus wasn't really a Nexus, I took matters into my own hands. The only apps I use that require root are AdAway and SoftkeyZ. My other root apps exist because I'm rooted, if I'm making sense.

I am excited to see what Google announces at I/O, and what the next Nexus phone will be like. The HTC One was very tempting, but I absolutely can not stand the button layout.

I'm also jealous of your phone plan. I'll be switching to T-Mobile when my contract is up.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

I'll say this Sweener, you'll like T-mobile. The 4G is awesome, and will be even moreso when (and if? :?) LTE comes out in your area.

Also I've had my S4 for over a week now, and it's been awesome.
NSRT here.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Speaking of T-Mobile, is it easy to swap SIM cards to different HSPA or LTE phones?