Crono Trigger- The Time Egg

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

paulguy
Zealot

Re: Crono Trigger- The Time Egg

Post by paulguy »

I wouldn't even say making a spiritual sequel although time travel does offer the possibility of having a huge variety of locales, but that doesn't require it to be a chrono series game. Just a game that takes some of the technical/artistic stuff that people like about Chrono Trigger and making a whole new game from that. Modern high def graphics would make it incredibly expensive as I imagine it cost a ton to make even back then.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote: Gil, FF may just be a brand but if a competent company like Monolith(or anyone that actually cares about making beautiful games) acquired it, I think they'd at least try to put some heart/soul back into the series unlike SE.
They is literally be doing nothing they can't do WITHOUT the brand except sell six million copies with no effort. And add ostriches with saddles.
The Final Fantasy name would do nothing but encourage whoever acquired it to get lazy.

It's the One Ring. Whomever wears it will be corrupted, and destroy all who stand against it.
And that's why it needs to die.

And with that analogy, this discussion has reached critical nerdosity.

EDIT2: Gil, quick ? about the Lunar games. I should play Silver Star and then Eternal Blue, right? I don't want to fuck up the chronological order of the story.
Silver Star is first, Eternal Blue is a thousand years later.
While Eternal Blue can be played and enjoyed without any prior knowledge of the series, there ARE Silver Star spoilers in Eternal Blue, and you will enjoy some scenes more if you've played Silver Star.

Though one of Eternal Blue's bigger dramatic moments is events that happened to the Silver Star cast AFTER the game ended. Silver Star Story is in the remarkably backwards position of spoiling the sequel in this case, due to how Alex's story was rewritten to include (a horribly distorted version of) the event in question.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:And add ostriches with saddles.
horsebirdz !
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

*horseclawz

kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Why is the first thing I noticed that that guy looks like he isn't wearing any pants?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

kode54 wrote:Why is the first thing I noticed that that guy looks like he isn't wearing any pants?
Maybe it's like Ocarina of Time, where adult Link has that white undersuit thingy on?

Other than that, yay, the pains of black and white drawings...

ALSO: How about HorseThunderClawz?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

adventure_of_link wrote:Other than that, yay, the pains of black and white drawings...
It even looks ambiguous in the animation since they're sort of skin coloured :|

here's conclusive evidence that she's actually wearing pants though
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Yep, looks like no pants.
Gil_Hamilton wrote:They is literally be doing nothing they can't do WITHOUT the brand except sell six million copies with no effort. And add ostriches with saddles.
The Final Fantasy name would do nothing but encourage whoever acquired it to get lazy.

It's the One Ring. Whomever wears it will be corrupted, and destroy all who stand against it.
And that's why it needs to die.

And with that analogy, this discussion has reached critical nerdosity.
Good point, but OG Square was able to run with it for quite a while without ruining the series. I think 8 was the first big crack due to the retarded decision of making you draw magic for eternity. Also the orphanage scene was pretty out there but that would've been more excusable if the gameplay had been more fun. 9, imo, was a return to form and it feels like old school FF; it's a damn good homage. 10 wasn't a bad game or anything but I felt kind of embarrassed playing it even by myself and it started the trend of "cinematic" hallway-cutscene linearity.(can't mention the MMOs since I've never played them) 12, while a lot of people love it, changed way too much shit and if you're gonna get rid of random encounters, do it CT style or action-based, not MMO-style imo. 13 is the only FF that has no redeeming qualities other than graphics in my mind. Direct sequels like 10-2 and the 13 sequels helped with its downfall a lot too. FF4TAY is an abomination; 4 ended flawlessly.

I only want to see FF die if another company makes an old-school RPG that's superior to old FF(or equal to something like FF6) that has the same charm/feel. I haven't played Lost Odyssey so I can't comment on that, but as you know I do want some remakes before SE goes under or stops making console games. Realistically they'll probably make a million mobile turds similar to ATB before they even consider remaking more classics, but they did good remaking FF4. Remakes of similar quality to FF4DS or the DS/PS2 DQ remakes designed for HD hardware would be awesome. No need for voice acting either although 4DS has some; the music alone set the tone very well.
paulguy wrote:I wouldn't even say making a spiritual sequel although time travel does offer the possibility of having a huge variety of locales, but that doesn't require it to be a chrono series game. Just a game that takes some of the technical/artistic stuff that people like about Chrono Trigger and making a whole new game from that. Modern high def graphics would make it incredibly expensive as I imagine it cost a ton to make even back then.
That's basically what I meant by spiritual sequel, and preferably made by a company other than SE unless it's a CT remake instead. I'm not sure about CT's budget but it was really impressive for a SNES game back then, and the sprite work is fantastic. Games like that don't seem to be as popular now(at least in the west), but if a game as good/better or even just almost as good as CT came out I bet people would get into the genre again. JRPGs need another game that blows up like FF7 did but I have no idea how that could happen today considering the money required to make an RPG that would literally blow peoples' minds.

The jump from 16 to 32-bit consoles really allowed companies to blow people away with graphics, and FF7 got a lot of non RPG fans into the genre because of the graphics in a lot of cases.

EDIT: spelling/grammar
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

WHAT IF... NAUSICAA WAS A GIRL

¬_¬
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

*NAUSICAÄ
no excuse to be that sloppy on a euro keyboard!! >:U
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Johan_H wrote:*NAUSICAÄ
no excuse to be that sloppy on a euro keyboard!! >:U
I think the frenchies get a pass on this one. Maybe.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

nah i can totally type Ä but fuck that
皆黙って俺について来い!!