netplay woes in linux (solved, sorta)

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

lunpa
Rookie

netplay woes in linux (solved, sorta)

Post by lunpa »

First of all, trolls, keep your personal OS preferances to yourself. I'm looking for a solution to the problem, not someone's opinion.
Alright, with that said...

Code: Select all

lunpa [~] #zsnes

ZSNES v1.42 (c) 1997-2005, ZSNES Team

Be sure to check http://www.zsnes.com/ for the latest version.
Please report crashes to zsnes-devel@lists.sourceforge.net.

ZSNES is written by the ZSNES Team (See AUTHORS.TXT)
ZSNES comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software,
and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions;
please read 'LICENSE' thoroughly before doing so.

Use ZSNES -? for command line definitions.

MMX support found and enabled.

ZSNES could not find any joysticks.
Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
(segfaults when I press the 'internet' selection for 'netplay')

I know netplay is considered broken, but I've heard of alot of poeple who can get it to work atleast without segfaulting.

I have both fallowed the howto for proper router configuration, and yes, I have the loopback in the hosts setting on my comp.

Any advice for getting it to not segfault?

[edited] btw, I installed it via gentoo's portage, so I'm pretty sure I have the dependancies.
Last edited by lunpa on Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
I wanna learn how to play the accordian trumpet...
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

1) Tell Gentoo to fix their net related stuff.
2) Add localhost as 127.0.0.1 to your /etc/hosts file
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by lunpa »

Hey, I said I want to hopefully fix the prolem, not laugh about it ^^
pikaj00

Post by pikaj00 »

Nach wrote:1) Tell Gentoo to fix their net related stuff.
2) Add localhost as 127.0.0.1 to your /etc/hosts file
how about instead of placing the blame on someone else (or operating system vendors for that matter), you fix what YOU broke in the first place. there is nothing wrong the net portions of portage, otherwise lunpa and many others who proudly use gentoo would not be able to go online let alone post on these forums. your second suggestion is no better, as lunpa ALREADY STATED that he has loopback configured properly (and in another topic that you or someone else graciously deleted). you already admitted that netplay in linux is broken although it does work fine for most users in windows, what is taking you so long to fix it? i checked the CVS tree and the netplay portion hasnt been touched in 6-8 weeks from what i can see, yet other more minor things have been tinkered with almost daily. why not fix the existing problems instead of adding more? last i knew that is how GOOD coders get things done. no point being in denial nach, as all you are doing is making people such as myself lose faith in zsnes development as a whole. deleting people's accounts and their posts does not solve anything either, all it does is what i stated before, it makes people lose faith in this community and the coders who make it possible.
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

I reference to your "deleting accounts, threads and posts", the board was just restored using an old backup, so alot of stuff was lost. This is not the fault of Nach.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
lunpa
Rookie

Post by lunpa »

*hopes my account doesn't get deleted again*
seeing nachs history of being quite unhelpfull twards the linux folk ( http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... ght=#51044 ) there is merit to what pika says.
If I get deleted for asking a legitimate question and complaining about getting harrassed for it, it only verifies this.

Thankfully atleast snes9x works in the mean time.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

..you know, I love how you all flame people without having your facts straight. Nach uses Linux, holy shit.
And one more thing: I thought Nach was doing a good job with helping him out, his problem was resolved, jeez.
Last edited by adventure_of_link on Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
pikaj00

Post by pikaj00 »

Megabyte wrote:I reference to your "deleting accounts, threads and posts", the board was just restored using an old backup, so alot of stuff was lost. This is not the fault of Nach.
still doesnt explain everything else, as lunpa just pointed out. kinda makes me wonder why a restore was even required, last i knew the people who run these boards were "talented" programmers who would know how to fix forums without resorting to backups.
lunpa
Rookie

Post by lunpa »

Well, pardon me then.
So nach didn't remove us, and he doesn't hate linux.

So is it just custom to do what nach does when people ask legitimate quesions? I'm only complaining about what I've seen, I don't realy believe in the 'anti-linux' conspiricy.
pikaj00

Post by pikaj00 »

And one more thing: I thought Nach was doing a good job with helping him out, his problem was resolved, jeez.
um, if the problem was resolved then why does lunpa have to resort to an alternative emulator instead of the emulator he asked for support with?
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

If I'm not mistaken, Nach doesn't even know netplay. That would be Pagefault and Grinvader. Correct me if I'm wrong.
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<TheXPhial> black holes
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
pikaj00

Post by pikaj00 »

Megabyte wrote:If I'm not mistaken, Nach doesn't even know netplay. That would be Pagefault and Grinvader. Correct me if I'm wrong.
if he doesnt know netplay then why is he attempting to troubleshoot something that he essentially doesnt know how to fix?
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

I had a poor choice of words there. What I meant was he doesn't work on Netplay, not that he knows nothing about it.
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<TheXPhial> black holes
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
lunpa
Rookie

Post by lunpa »

pikaj00 wrote:
Megabyte wrote:I reference to your "deleting accounts, threads and posts", the board was just restored using an old backup, so alot of stuff was lost. This is not the fault of Nach.
still doesnt explain everything else, as lunpa just pointed out. kinda makes me wonder why a restore was even required, last i knew the people who run these boards were "talented" programmers who would know how to fix forums without resorting to backups.
Pika, he was refering to the other guy who I used as an example earlier. He resolved it on his own, nach gave him a mix of bs answers mixed with a few legitimate ones (or where they even that?).

---
Also, I might add that I don't realy care about the staff politics on this board. I mean, look at me, I'm a "new user".

I'm posting for two reasons right now:
a) because I can't get netplay to work, had asked arround for sugestions before former resset, got some answers, had included relivant output and things I have taken care of that _could_ be related to the problem but aren't in this case. AND before all that, I took the time to search the forums for similar posts so that I might solve the problem on my own without waisting anyone's time. I'm realy stumped on the issue of netplay, and I'd apreciate actual help with it.
b) I don't think that I've done anything that would merit nach being an ass to me untill after pika brought up what I had otherwise been waiting to see if it was realy true or not. Seeing that some/most of it isn't (though nach isn't the nicest guy there is still), I'm sorry if I jumped the gun and rushed to conclusions, I would very much like to get back to reason A.
Last edited by lunpa on Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mexandrew
Taco Kid DX

Post by Mexandrew »

First of all:
The netplay is broken on this version because of other updates done. Why did it broke? ASM porting to C. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Second: Nach and pagefault are the main developers. Do you think that they would ignroe a part of the code?
B R O K E N .
lunpa
Rookie

Post by lunpa »

Yes, but correct me if I'm wrong, but it is still functional to some degree. In the thread I was on before the resset, pika and myself where the first of alot of people to submit a system configuration that WASN'T in any way semi-workable.

All I want is to know if I can get it to run semi-workable in linux, or if it is utterly borked in it.

From what I can gather from nach's bullshitting me, I suspect it is semi-workable and I'm just missing something minor. And I'd like to know what that is, if anything.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Yes, I feel I must confess to all my shortcomings.

I always laugh about other people's problems.
I always place the blame on others.
I never fix anything I broke.
I personally have seen to it that ZSNES Netplay on Linux has never worked since the first Linux release of Linux.
I am not stating a solution that others have told me worked for them in Gentoo but rather bash Gentoo because I think it is the most evil thing known to man, and I flat out refuse to talk to anyone in real time who uses Gentoo.
I am inhuman and read everything perfectly despite it being late at night and being tired.
I have openly admitted that netplay in Linux is broken and have never played anywhere near 150 games in ZSNES Linux Netplay from versions 1.40 to 1.42.
I am purposely taking my time with my paid job to work on ZSNES and have not even discussed fixing netplay with anyone else ever.
I have not touched any netplay related code in the past 6 weeks despite it being spread out in 10 to 15 files.
ZSNES has not had anything major done to it recenly by me or anyone else, nor have I seen to it that core SNES emulation bugs be fixed any time recently.
I am a very bad coder, as I have never once released a 10,000+ line program that has been virtually bug free.
I have seen to it that ZSNES development in the past two years have been at an all time low, with no measurable progress what so ever.
I personally delete people and their posts on a daily basis.
I give sarcastic 100% unhelpful answers to people who ask detailed questions.
I despise Linux folk and am out to get them.
I see to it that the board goes nuts on a regular basis, and I have full control of the hardware and make sure it never goes bad.
I despise Snes9x and have never commited any code to it.
I never give advise based on past experience.

Now that that's out of the way, may be the case you have a different problem than the usual one. Run configure with debug = yes, make clean, make then run zsnesd in gdb and post a back trace of the crash.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by lunpa »

*emerging gdb now*

Now that that's out of the way, may be the case you have a different problem than the usual one. Run configure with debug = yes, make clean, make then run zsnesd in gdb and post a back trace of the crash.
Realy, had that had been said earlier, this would have been easier.
Maby my problem is "the usual one". I hadn't found much in my forum searches on this, so I wouldn't know what "the usual one" is. I'm pretty sure its not a malconfigured /etc/hosts and gentoo not being able to use the internet.

I'm giving you the benifit of the doubt that those last 3 lines are realy intended to be helpfull in pointing me in the direction of a netplay plauged by the normal 1.4x netplay problems rather than segfaults. And not making me look like a bigger fool than I already have done on my own. I have that down to an art ;)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

lunpa wrote: Realy, had that had been said earlier, this would have been easier.
It has been said earlier:
http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1846

In other threads too I believe, but I'm too lazy to search.
lunpa wrote: Maby my problem is "the usual one". I hadn't found much in my forum searches on this, so I wouldn't know what "the usual one" is. I'm pretty sure its not a malconfigured /etc/hosts and gentoo not being able to use the internet.
I'm not saying Gentoo can't use the net, I just know from the 20 or so people I heard this problem from, most of them use Gentoo.
lunpa wrote: I'm giving you the benifit of the doubt that those last 3 lines are realy intended to be helpfull in pointing me in the direction of a netplay plauged by the normal 1.4x netplay problems rather than segfaults. And not making me look like a bigger fool than I already have done on my own. I have that down to an art ;)
Oh, in this thread you certainly don't look like the biggest fool.

Post by lunpa »

is this what you needed?

(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x080dc78a in ?? ()
#1  0x085af2c0 in optind ()
#2  0x000000ff in ?? ()
#3  0x000000aa in ?? ()
#4  0x081255b5 in ?? ()
#5  0x080e587e in ?? ()
#6  0x081230e0 in ?? ()
#7  0x080daa1d in ?? ()
#8  0x00000001 in ?? ()
#9  0xbffff3a4 in ?? ()
#10 0x082f46fc in _IO_stdin_used ()
#11 0xb7c76753 in __guard_setup () from /lib/libc.so.6
Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)
Thats pretty cryptic o.o
*wild stab in the dark* would this libc be at fault?

-------------
*edit*
from the link you provided, I guess it is 'the usual'.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

That is what I needed...
Just to make sure you ran that on a debug copy of ZSNES right? If it is, there's a lot more unknowns than usual. If that wasn't the debug build, try again with a debug build.

Regardless, you can try the commenting out solution suggested in the other thread and let me know if that helps.

Post by lunpa »

Yeah, its a debug version. Only I re-emerged with the "debug" useflag wich is essentialy the same thing...

+ debug  : Tells configure and the makefiles to build for debugging. Effects vary across packages, but generally it will at least add -g to CFLAGS. Remember to set FEATURES=nostrip too
I will try the fix, and will post the results.
Last edited by lunpa on Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
lunpa
Rookie

Post by lunpa »

omg O_o no segfault! now to see if I can get a game to work.
I will make a shellscript for modifying the portage tree to use my version so that other gentoo-ers might use it!
lunpa
Rookie

Post by lunpa »

I got netplay to work! I connected to myself via loopback (two instances of zsnes) and loaded up seiken densetsu 3 with no problems!
lunpa
Rookie

Post by lunpa »

I made a little installer of the sorts so that gentoo users can emerge zsnes with the commenting out hack I used.

Here is the url, though I havn't tested it out myself yet, however.
http://scribblecafe.org/tmp/zsnes_gentoo_hack.tar.gz

Nach... thank you so much for the help! :)