fullscreen help

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

christian23

fullscreen help

Post by christian23 »

ok need some help here I looked through almost all the forums and can't find what I need; the problem is I cant get zsnes in fullscreen all I get is a black box around my screen I'm using a dell xps laptop with 1024x768 screen resolution, using windows xp with version 1.42 (win32) zsnes; I'v tried deleting zsnes and redownloading and just deleting my config files and yes I tried alt+enter and nothing works.I'v updated my directx, I'v also tried changing zsnes video settings to 640X480 dc full and that also did not work. So what I want to do is just get zsnes to play as a regular screen not widescreen I dont want blurry picture with a streched image. thanx in advance to whomever responds to this messege.
Last edited by christian23 on Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Try pressing ALT+ENTER. that might fix your problem with teh ZSNES.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Mexandrew
Taco Kid DX

Post by Mexandrew »

Agozer, he tried ALT+ENTER =P

Christian23: I have a problem like yours, except that I use a desktop computer, and I run ZSNES for DOS. I use 1024x768 as my main resolution, but when Zsnes changes the mode to 680x480, my monitor won't follow the change. I have to turn off and turn on the monitor again so I can see Zsnes.

Of course this is not your problem, but it may help you if you use Zsnes WIN with a windowed (not fullscreen) mode. That can fix the problem.
B R O K E N .
christian23

fullscreen

Post by christian23 »

I tried to change my video settings to 1024x768 dr full and nothing changed then restarted my computer but still didn't fix the problem.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Mexandrew wrote:Agozer, he tried ALT+ENTER =P
Oh yeah. :P

christian, what video card do you have and have you updated it's drivers?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
christian23

fullscreen

Post by christian23 »

I have ati mobility radeon 9700 but when I try to update it I get that I need a cd to update I tried looking on the dell website and can't find anything

edit1:
actually I found the disk I needed but my video card is already updated with the current software

edit2:
christian23 wrote:ok need some help here I looked through almost all the forums and can't find what I need; the problem is I cant get zsnes in fullscreen all I get is a black box around my screen I'm using a dell xps laptop with 1024x768 screen resolution, using windows xp with version 1.42 (win32) zsnes; I'v tried deleting zsnes and redownloading and just deleting my config files and yes I tried alt+enter and nothing works.I'v updated my directx, I'v also tried changing zsnes video settings to 640X480 dc full and that also did not work. So what I want to do is just get zsnes to play as a regular screen not widescreen I dont want blurry picture with a streched image. thanx in advance to whomever responds to this messege.
ok so I'v also chnaged my video settings in zsnes and restarted my computer and also made sure my video driver is updated and still get the same problem.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Use the EDIT feature, instead of triple-posting...
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Can you use other software that runs in a 16-bit fullscreen mode?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
christian23

fullscreen help

Post by christian23 »

sorry grinvader didn't mean to tripple post I'm new to this I'll use the edit feature from now on. and Creaothcean I'm not sure what other software you might mean but I do use dosbox on my comp and have no problems with that so I tried to use zsnes (dos version) and use it in dosbox that fixed the problem with fullscreen but I cant open any game files and the speed is really slow(frame skip setting =9) and would however prefer to use zsnes in windows xp.
Mexandrew
Taco Kid DX

Post by Mexandrew »

Here's a solution.

Don't use a fullscreen mode.
Edit the cfg file to select a windowed mode.

When Zsnes starts in windowed mode, select a fullscreen mode in the video menu
B R O K E N .
christian23

fullscreen help recap

Post by christian23 »

I cant get zsnes in fullscreen all I get is a black box around my screen I'm using a dell xps laptop with 1024x768 screen resolution, using windows xp with version 1.42 (win32) zsnes. I'v tried deleting zsnes and redownloading and just deleting my config files and yes I tried alt+enter and I'v tried to change the screen to windowed version under zsnes.cfg and then changed back to fullscreen from gui and nothing works. I'v updated my directx, and my videocard(ati mobility radeon 9700). I use dosbox on my comp and have no problems with that software, I also downloaded zsnes (dos version) and used it in dosbox that fixed the problem with fullscreen but I cant open any game files and the speed is really slow, my mouse curser was skipping and the screen was blurry (my frame skip setting is 9);I and would however prefer to use zsnes in windows xp.please help :(
Murdock
Rookie

Re: fullscreen

Post by Murdock »

christian23 wrote: actually I found the disk I needed but my video card is already updated with the current software
I am guessing that you meant you tried updating your video card drivers with one of the cds that came with your laptop. Try going to either http://support.ati.com or your laptop manufacturer's webpage and try downloading the latest driver there.
[quote="Clements"]People who [i]dye[/i] their hair blonde are usually the dumb ones, since they often care more about their outward appearance than their personality or intellect.[/quote]
creaothceann
Seen it all

Re: fullscreen help

Post by creaothceann »

christian23 wrote:I'm not sure what other software you might mean
Well, you could try the Abe's Oddysee demo. It's using 640x480x16, fullscreen. Maybe someone else knows another (smaller) program...
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
christian23

fullscreen help

Post by christian23 »

Is 1280x1024 the highest screen resolution you can have with zsnes?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

christian23 wrote:Is 1280x1024 the highest screen resolution you can have with zsnes?
I think so yes.
LobStar
Lurker

Post by LobStar »

Not sure if it applys to you, but LCDs, especially in laptops tend to only like 60hz refresh rates... I'm not sure if you are making ZSNES use 60hz or using kitchen sync or not but might be something to look into, sorry I can't offer much more....
... Ever take a look at the Earthbound ROM? I SWEAR THE PROGRAMMERS WERE ON CRACK WHEN THEY DID IT! JUST LOOK AT IT!
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Agozer wrote:
christian23 wrote:Is 1280x1024 the highest screen resolution you can have with zsnes?
I think so yes.
SDL port has 1600x1200.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

grinvader wrote:
Agozer wrote:
I think so yes.
SDL port has 1600x1200.
Well, my experiences do limit to the Windows port after all.

But yeah, now that you mentioned it, I do remember Nach saying some time ago that SDL has 1600x1200.