Dragon Quest I & II (J) Freeze/Hanging

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

ieremiou
Rookie

Dragon Quest I & II (J) Freeze/Hanging

Post by ieremiou »

I find this strange that nobody has posted or asked about this bug and it is still happening in ZSNES (CVS too (my builds)) but I can't cause it to happen in SNES9x.

From the English Readme v2.0 Translation to Dragon Quest 1 and 2 by RPGone.net
Sometimes if you have stereo sound enabled in ZSNES, and a frame skip or frame rate of 2 or higher, the game will get stuck on a note and freeze. This is an issue with the Japanese version also, so it's not our problem.
I've not tried it without stereo sound but it definately hangs a lot in ZSNES at random times. I have no idea if there is any clear cut way of reproducing the hang/freeze unless you play the game a few minutes. It almost always happens after battling several monsters or a few seconds after transfering from one screen to another.

EDIT: With Stereo Sound disabled it does not hang at all as far as I can tell. With it enabled it hangs quite frequently.

Essentially you know it happens when the sound hangs then fades out and then the game can no longer continue. Very very annoying.

NSRT Scan:

Code: Select all

NSRT v3.3 RC2 - Nach's SNES ROM Tools

---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
       File: Dragon Quest I & II (J).sfc
       Name: DRAGONQUEST 1_2        Company: Enix
     Header: SWC                       Bank: LoROM
Interleaved: No                        SRAM: 64 Kb
       Type: Normal + Batt              ROM: 12 Mb
  ROM Speed: 200ns (SlowROM)       Revision: 1.0
   Checksum: Good 0x2D8A              CRC32: 98BB6853
--------------------------Database--------------------------
   Name: Dragon Quest I & II
 Port 1: Gamepad                  Port 2: Gamepad
Anyways, good luck and I hope this is placed in the tracker for known bugs with ZSNES. If anybody can say it happens on the actual cartridge i'd like to hear about it.

Greets
~Paladinate~
Genre 1: RPG Genre 2: Turn Based
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Very strange, I will check into this. Does the entire emulator lock up or just the music stops playing?
tvtoon
Rookie

Post by tvtoon »

Huuum, its strange... I've already played this game with every Zsnes version (not the WIP 04/11) and never got such problem... Isn't there something you are missing ? :(
[url=http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/tvtoon/Avatares/th_tvlogo.png]GO LOGO, GO![/url]
<Renze> "IRC, where men are men, women are men, and 14 year old girls are FBI agents"
SmokedAlive

Post by SmokedAlive »

I have found this same problem. I am not sure if Dragon Quest(JP) is the Same as Breath of Fire (US) but when I play Breath of Fire 2, anywhere between 2-3 hours into the game it will freeze and at completely random times. I am not sure if this is the same problem as stated above but I was going to post a separate thread and I saw this. Can or has anyone noticed this problem aswell? Thanks
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

No, Dragon Quest and Breath of Fire aren't the same.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

SmokedAlive wrote:I have found this same problem. I am not sure if Dragon Quest(JP) is the Same as Breath of Fire (US) but when I play Breath of Fire 2, anywhere between 2-3 hours into the game it will freeze and at completely random times. I am not sure if this is the same problem as stated above but I was going to post a separate thread and I saw this. Can or has anyone noticed this problem aswell? Thanks
It's a known bug, IIRC, it's a timming issue and it's not that easy to solve.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
SmokedAlive

Post by SmokedAlive »

Thanks a lot for your quick response. Now I know why it was happening.