Unresponsive keyboard and gamepad

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Kvaal
Rookie

Unresponsive keyboard and gamepad

Post by Kvaal »

Ive recently been having problems getting Zsnes to work. It starts up and runs just fine, but when changing resolutions it prompts you to "press any key" But nothing happens when I do. It dosent freeze up, its still running fine, just not responding. The same thing happens when calibrating the gamepad, when it says "press key for up" it stops responding againg, but apparently still running fine (alt+F4 closes it).

Im not 100% sure if this is a hardware or software problem, but both Keyboard and gamepad work fine in other emulators.

It started happening after deleting Zsnes then putting a newer version in a new folder. Ive tried running it from different drives, running different versions and tried different controllers, but nothing seems to fix it.

I really need to get it back up and running, so any help is appriciated.
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

What Operating system do you run?
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
Kvaal
Rookie

Post by Kvaal »

Win XP Home
mike435
Rookie

Post by mike435 »

Well I had the same problem until i switched to windows xp so I dont know :?
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Do you have the latest drivers for your video card?
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Try deleting all the .cfg and .dat files in the folder you have ZSNES in...
It started happening after deleting Zsnes then putting a newer version in a new folder. Ive tried running it from different drives, running different versions and tried different controllers, but nothing seems to fix it.
You need to do the above because of the different ZSNES versions...
Mexandrew
Taco Kid DX

Post by Mexandrew »

I have a problem like that, but only happens with the DOS version.
B R O K E N .
Kvaal
Rookie

Post by Kvaal »

snkcube wrote:Do you have the latest drivers for your video card?
yup, and I havent changed them after reinstalling ZSNES
Deathlike2 wrote:Try deleting all the .cfg and .dat files in the folder you have ZSNES in...

You need to do the above because of the different ZSNES versions...
Well, I already deleted the old version before installing the new one, are the config files placed anywhere else than the extracted folder?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

The config files for ZSnes are automatically generated when you run ZSnes for the first time. They are in the same folder ZSnes is in. They are:
zsnesw.cfg
zsnesgui.cfg
When doing an over-written install of ZSnes (ie: putting it in the folder where ZSnes is), you would erase those two files, then run ZSnes and get new configs.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Kvaal
Rookie

Post by Kvaal »

I actually got it working for a few secounds just now. By deleting it again then put the extracted folder in the emulator folder without changing its name, the "ZSNES140" folder that is. But then I put the games in and such, and it stopped working. Not exactly sure what I did that broke it again, but trying the same method again dosent seem to work.

sigh
AspiringSquire
Born to Rule... Impatiently

Post by AspiringSquire »

Have you tried putting the games in their own directory rather than in the ZSNES directory? Perhaps you have too many ROMs in one directory...

If your default folder for extracting is "ZSNES140", then you must have the DOS version of ZSNES. The Windows port of ZSNES will always have a "W" in the filename of the .zip file. Go get "zsnesw142.zip" from www.ipherswipsite.com or any of the various other download sites. You can also try the current WIP for ZSNES at ipher's site.
[url=http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3298][color=brown]My [u]NES palette[/u][/color][/url] - better colors with any emulator.

"the more you know, and the more you can do... the more you are."
- [url=http://www.danielbohman.com][color=brown][u]daniel bohman[/u][/color][/url]
Kvaal
Rookie

Post by Kvaal »

AspiringSquire wrote:Have you tried putting the games in their own directory rather than in the ZSNES directory? Perhaps you have too many ROMs in one directory...

If your default folder for extracting is "ZSNES140", then you must have the DOS version of ZSNES. The Windows port of ZSNES will always have a "W" in the filename of the .zip file. Go get "zsnesw142.zip" from www.ipherswipsite.com or any of the various other download sites. You can also try the current WIP for ZSNES at ipher's site.
I read wrong, it is the windows version. But I downloaded the newest version now and it works in its extracted folder, so im just going to keep it there so I dont screw this up again.

Thanks for the help all.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

That's what we're here for, dude.
Glad to help. :)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Kvaal
Rookie

Post by Kvaal »

That didnt last long. Its back again and im getting pretty tired of it. Anybody else know anything that might help?
Vision

Post by Vision »

the same thing happened to me with my sisters computer but i could never figure out how to fix it.
Kvaal
Rookie

Post by Kvaal »

bump :(
Richard C.
Lurker

Post by Richard C. »

you ARE using the version from the link in my signature, right?
Latest ZSNES release: [url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com]ZSNES 11/12/06 WIP[/url]
Latest NSRT release: [url=http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/]NSRT 3.3 Final[/url]
Kvaal
Rookie

Post by Kvaal »

Richard C. wrote:you ARE using the version from the link in my signature, right?
I am now atleast, but that has the same problem
Kvaal
Rookie

Post by Kvaal »

After updating windows, graphics card and installing the latest zsnes release, Im atleast able to change graphics without any problems. But reassigning keys is still not possible. When I mouse click on say "up" to assign the up key, its like the mouse just doubleclicks and asignes the mouse button to anything I press. The interval between single and double clicking isnt messed up anywhere else at least, if thats the problem.
Any more help would be greatly appriciated.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Kvaal wrote:But reassigning keys is still not possible. When I mouse click on say "up" to assign the up key, its like the mouse just doubleclicks and asignes the mouse button to anything I press. The interval between single and double clicking isnt messed up anywhere else at least, if thats the problem.
That's strange, did you tried selecting keyboard/Joystick from the first window and pressing "Set" before attempting to change keys?
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Kvaal
Rookie

Post by Kvaal »

Joe Camacho wrote:
Kvaal wrote:But reassigning keys is still not possible. When I mouse click on say "up" to assign the up key, its like the mouse just doubleclicks and asignes the mouse button to anything I press. The interval between single and double clicking isnt messed up anywhere else at least, if thats the problem.
That's strange, did you tried selecting keyboard/Joystick from the first window and pressing "Set" before attempting to change keys?
Yeah, whem I choose "set" the gamepad dosent respond at all. (it works on everything else)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Sorta OT (and I know I'm gonna get told to update my ZSnes :oops:): Using ELX Linux and ZSnes v1.4 RC1, my gamepads won't respond, however the device managet finds my controllers just fine...
NSRT here.
smapdi

Post by smapdi »

i'm having the exact same problem as the original poster. can load games just fine, but can't change controls or video settings. just out of curiosity, i also tried running the windows versions of 1.41 and 1.20, both to the same effect. each time i tried a different version i made sure to delete both the .cfg and .dat files, as well as everything else in the folder.

one thing i noticed happening was that zsnes was maxing out my cpu whenever it ran. i have an Athlon XP 1.8GHz in this system, and from my understanding that should be more than enough for zsnes.