Emulation of super gameboy

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

beejayzed

Emulation of super gameboy

Post by beejayzed »

I've been interested in getting the super gameboy attachment for the snes working.
I downloaded the rom, but it showed the picture of the gameboy.. and nothing happened.

Is it possible to get this working properly?
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

It's quite possible to get it working in an SNES.

As for ZSNES, don't count on it for a long while.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by beejayzed »

alrighty then.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Just a note... if you want to play your Super GB Games on your computer, you'll need to find a Gameboy Emulator that has such a feature. My recommendation would be BGB, search Yahoo! for it, it should be in the top 10.
PS: Doc Team: You may want to put this in the FAQ's, if you haven't done so.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Visualboy Advance will do it as well. No point getting ZSNES to do it.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

There is not a single gameboy emulator out there to my knowledge that fully supports the SGB well.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by SquareHead »

Didnt NO$GMB come close? Oh wait, never mind I think I know what you guys mean. Some of the emulators can emulate some SGB features in the GB carts (mostly borders and color palletes), but not the actual SGB itself, including all the stuff it did?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

SquareHead wrote:Didnt NO$GMB come close? Oh wait, never mind I think I know what you guys mean. Some of the emulators can emulate some SGB features in the GB carts (mostly borders and color palletes), but not the actual SGB itself, including all the stuff it did?
At least to me, No$gmb does SGB quite well... Or is it only the borders and colors?
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

No$GMB didn't support the mouse or multitap. Didn't support shading. Didn't support the SNES extras in some games.

Post by Clements »

I guess that the GB emulators do indeed cheat to get the borders+colours, since on a real SGB (which I in fact own) you can change the borders to built-in ones and even design your own a pit like MSPaint, and edit the colour palettes and all sorts.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Nach wrote:No$GMB didn't support the mouse or multitap. Didn't support shading. Didn't support the SNES extras in some games.
What games supported multitap or was it just the SGB?
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

SquareHead wrote:
Nach wrote:No$GMB didn't support the mouse or multitap. Didn't support shading. Didn't support the SNES extras in some games.
What games supported multitap or was it just the SGB?
I know Wario Blast did. There may be others, but that was the only one I had.
~Bent
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

adventure_of_link wrote:PS: Doc Team: You may want to put this in the FAQ's, if you haven't done so.
Done. :)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Thank you, IceFox. :)
PS: I hope ya didn't put the BGB homepage link in the FAQ, last I checked, it's got a commercial ROM site link on the homepage.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

adventure_of_link wrote:Thank you, IceFox. :)
PS: I hope ya didn't put the BGB homepage link in the FAQ, last I checked, it's got a commercial ROM site link on the homepage.
Hmm, I'm afraid I did. :?

But technically, we're not linking directly to the ROM site. And plus, we can't be responsible for the content on third-party websites, can we? Furthermore, the site doesn't give any indication that ROMs are available in the link anyway.

So would it be safe to keep the link, or is there a general agreement that it should be removed?
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

I say keep it. I had no idea there was a ROM site there until a_o_l mentioned it.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
AspiringSquire
Born to Rule... Impatiently

Post by AspiringSquire »

IceFox wrote:So would it be safe to keep the link, or is there a general agreement that it should be removed?
Personally, I agree with your already-stated position on this.
IceFox wrote:Furthermore, the site doesn't give any indication that ROMs are available in the link anyway.
I've visited the BGB homepage many times, and I never noticed a possibly "tainted" site.
[url=http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3298][color=brown]My [u]NES palette[/u][/color][/url] - better colors with any emulator.

"the more you know, and the more you can do... the more you are."
- [url=http://www.danielbohman.com][color=brown][u]daniel bohman[/u][/color][/url]
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

The last few times SGB emulation was brought up in #zsnes on freenode, pagefault said he'd leave if ZSNES got working SGB support.
Hexlord
Hazed

Post by Hexlord »

Aerdan wrote:The last few times SGB emulation was brought up in #zsnes on freenode, pagefault said he'd leave if ZSNES got working SGB support.
Really? Oh well, that sucks...
[i]I will cross the chasm[/i]
Richard C.
Lurker

Post by Richard C. »

Hexlord wrote:
Aerdan wrote:The last few times SGB emulation was brought up in #zsnes on freenode, pagefault said he'd leave if ZSNES got working SGB support.
Really? Oh well, that sucks...
i think that was more or less of an exaggeration, but i completely agree with the devs that Super GameBoy emulation should not be supported in ZSNES. The Super BameBoy is just a gameboy, missing a few parts, repackaged in a tall snes cartridge. yes, there are some differences between it and the gameboy, as well as additions, but it is not part of the snes and should not be included in an snes emulator.
Latest ZSNES release: [url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com]ZSNES 11/12/06 WIP[/url]
Latest NSRT release: [url=http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/]NSRT 3.3 Final[/url]
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Richard C. wrote: i think that was more or less of an exaggeration, but i completely agree with the devs that Super GameBoy emulation should not be supported in ZSNES.
You're not agreeing with all the devs on that one.
Richard C. wrote: The Super BameBoy is just a gameboy, missing a few parts, repackaged in a tall snes cartridge.
Hardware wise perhaps, capability wise, no.
Richard C. wrote: yes, there are some differences between it and the gameboy, as well as additions, but it is not part of the snes and should not be included in an snes emulator.
The Multitap and SNES code is not something an SNES emulator should be doing?

There is a link to freeware ROMs on the site, but as long as it's got a commercial site on there as well, I'd remove it, but, eh, whatever, I guess...
NSRT here.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Nach wrote:
Richard C. wrote: i think that was more or less of an exaggeration, but i completely agree with the devs that Super GameBoy emulation should not be supported in ZSNES.
You're not agreeing with all the devs on that one.
Richard C. wrote: The Super BameBoy is just a gameboy, missing a few parts, repackaged in a tall snes cartridge.
Hardware wise perhaps, capability wise, no.
True, but how many games really took advantage of them? Not many. But I suppose if just ONE game did, it's something worth considering.
Richard C. wrote: yes, there are some differences between it and the gameboy, as well as additions, but it is not part of the snes and should not be included in an snes emulator.
I totally agree with Nach's logic here. If you say Super Gameboy shouldn't be emulated because it's a peripheral, you are therefore stating that multi-tap, super scope, mouse, game genie codes, etc.. should be struck down and not done.

Yes, the Super Gameboy is a different type of peripheral, which is essentially another video game system, but it's a peripheral nonetheless and the logic you used doesn't work.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Nightcrawler wrote: True, but how many games really took advantage of them? Not many. But I suppose if just ONE game did, it's something worth considering.
Quite a few games had special SNES features in them. Not to mention every game has special SGB abilities which are out of the scope for a DMG emulator, and no DMG emulator emulates.

Just to name a few games that pushed the limit in some way or another:
Wario Blast
Space Invaders
Bomberman 3

Post by Richard C. »

Nach wrote:
using that logic, the super gameboy SHOULD be emulated. even though its not part of the console, it IS for the snes and should be emulated.
Latest ZSNES release: [url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com]ZSNES 11/12/06 WIP[/url]
Latest NSRT release: [url=http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/]NSRT 3.3 Final[/url]