FreeBSD sound problem (with easy workaround)

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

tlp

FreeBSD sound problem (with easy workaround)

Post by tlp »

Hello all,

I built ZSNES from CVS tonight (Tuesday 17 May 2005) to see if a bug causing ZSNES 1.42 to crash on start on some FreeBSD workstations was fixed before I set out to fix it myself. Sure enough, problem solved.

Anyway, I've noticed this very weird sound issue. When ZSNES is initially started and there is no existing ~/.zsnes/ directory, the sound is very, very poor in quality. I don't know exactly how to describe it, other than by saying its distorted.

However, if you either

1) Restart ZSNES
or
2) Cycle through the sampling rates one by one,

the sound issue will go away and its back to being crystal clear. The only way to get the issue to come back is to remove ~/.zsnes/ (as far as I know so far).

I've ran the diff command on the config created by ZSNES initially without modifying any settings against the one that exists after you restart ZSNES (to see if a change to the config might explain whats going on).

This was not the case. Basically, I've found this:

As long as a config file exists when you start ZSNES, there is no problem with sound.

Weird bug, huh? Anyway, I hope this information helped. I'm also running FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE with an SB Live! 5.1 card using the emu10k1 driver.

Thanks,

I really appreciate the work you guys put into this project.