Top #10 ZSNES questions

The official forum for ZSNES documentation. Discuss future changes, mistakes, etc...
You can also join us on IRC at irc.freenode.net in #zsnes-docs.

Moderators: ZSNES Mods, ZSNES Doc Team

krille
Rookie

Post by krille »

Agozer wrote:
IceFox wrote:Perhaps a FAQ explaining that retexturing SNES games into hi-res isn't feasible, let alone possible.
That would actually be a good thing to do methinks. Leave no room for second guesses.
That would indeed be an interesting read.

This leads us on to Hi-Res Mode7, it seems that retexturing is indeed possible here, no? Why is it limited to twice the resolution? And only for vertical pixels? (Is it some form of "twisted" ray casting going on thus limiting the horizontal resolution, but still why is the vertical resolution limited?)

As for the FAQ, I'd find it interesting what Sound Settings are the best to use. Even though logic says the higher the sampling rate the better the quality, to my knowledge 32kHz is still recommended over 48kHz due to the original SNES being 32kHz (as long as the sound card doesn't crack/pop).

Not really an issue anymore (now with USB keyboards and all), but I remember having to abort playing Chrono Trigger, back when I was still a kid, and got completely stuck at the A+L+R part. I couldn't for the love of me figure this one out.
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

Nice. Digging up a thread from January 2007. Drunk forum surfing anyone?
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

krille wrote:This leads us on to Hi-Res Mode7, it seems that retexturing is indeed possible here?
No.
krille wrote:Why is it limited to twice the resolution? And only for vertical pixels? (Is it some form of "twisted" ray casting going on thus limiting the horizontal resolution, but still why is the vertical resolution limited?)
There's a formula to determine what pixel in the Mode7 bitmap to use for a given screen pixel, and I'd say the resolution is not limited.

ZSNES restricts the resolution because having different numbers of pixels per line would be slower or harder to code. Or something like that. The devs probably supported that filter only because it was easy to add to the existing rendering code.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list