Chrono Trigger retrans?

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Locked
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer
Posts: 6747
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:47 am

Post by Deathlike2 »

Panzer88 wrote:OMG it's like teh SKAI RENDERZ!!!!

just thought I'd preempt everyone else.

Hey, I think as long as they aren't making claims contrary to their work then it's all good.

I'll be the first to say congrats on finishing your project. I know you guys over their at the compendium have a passion for the chrono games.


The thing is, the screenshot I saw @ www.romhacking.net was awful. I thought I was reading something that resembled a script written by someone that did not have English as their first language. AWFUL BY FAR.

Note: I am only taking of the text in the screenshot, and not the entire translation. I have not seen the entire translation, nor I'm interested to seeing it since the script differences between the original and Japanese versions of the game AFAIK are minor.
Continuing FF4 Research...
snkcube
Hero of Time
Posts: 2646
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:49 am
Location: In front of the monitor
Contact:

Post by snkcube »

Oh wow, changing the lightning/shadow icons to sky/dark icons. BIG WHOOP.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Image
Kajuru
Regular
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:43 pm
Location: localhost

Post by Kajuru »

They claim they don't want to disrespect Ted's work, and add accuracy, yet, BoltSword became ThndrSword...
meanwhile, dozens of great games remain untranslated.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer
Posts: 6747
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:47 am

Post by Deathlike2 »

Kajuru wrote:They claim they don't want to disrespect Ted's work, and add accuracy, yet, BoltSword became ThndrSword...
meanwhile, dozens of great games remain untranslated.


It isn't a big deal, as some people don't like the original translation. However, some people prefer to be ridculously nitpicky, and thus this is the result.
Continuing FF4 Research...
creaothceann
Seen it all
Posts: 2302
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by creaothceann »

Kajuru wrote:... meanwhile, dozens of great games remain untranslated.

It doesn't work like that.

If they wouldn't have translated CT they wouldn't have translated anything.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Panzer88
Inmate
Posts: 1485
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:28 am
Location: Salem, Oregon
Contact:

Post by Panzer88 »

it's funny, people think it's cool to decensorize because we were being "denied something" but when it is deamericanized "OMFG WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING YOU JAPOPHILE GO TO HELL FAGOT!!!!"

I mean, how exactly are they different? only one takes more time.
byuu wrote:Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? >:(
Kajuru
Regular
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:43 pm
Location: localhost

Post by Kajuru »

creaothceann wrote:
Kajuru wrote:... meanwhile, dozens of great games remain untranslated.

It doesn't work like that.

If they wouldn't have translated CT they wouldn't have translated anything.

Yes, the fanboysm. I find /somewhat/ interesting all the theories and stuff these guys(mostly Zeality) gattered @ ChronoCompendium, but I'd rather a script dump or J > E difference list than a full ips when the time could have been spent in something better

Not that my opinion matters. They'd do it anyway :roll:
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:05 pm

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Kajuru wrote:
creaothceann wrote:
Kajuru wrote:... meanwhile, dozens of great games remain untranslated.

It doesn't work like that.

If they wouldn't have translated CT they wouldn't have translated anything.

Yes, the fanboysm. I find /somewhat/ interesting all the theories and stuff these guys(mostly Zeality) gattered @ ChronoCompendium, but I'd rather a script dump or J > E difference list than a full ips when the time could have been spent in something better

Not that my opinion matters. They'd do it anyway :roll:


http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Retranslation.html

Your script dump is there, along with your J > E difference, I believe. It was done months ago. They made the patch as well because people were interested in seeing it presented in that fashion.
Kajuru
Regular
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:43 pm
Location: localhost

Post by Kajuru »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Retranslation.html

Your script dump is there, along with your J > E difference, I believe. It was done months ago.

I know they exist.
They made the patch as well because people were interested in seeing it presented in that fashion.

That's what I meant. Why make the game "better"?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer
Posts: 6747
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:47 am

Post by Deathlike2 »

If you really wanted the literal translation, you are better off learning Japanese (or the original language) in order to know the proper meanings+intentions of the original script. Converting to another language will hamper this, regardless.
Continuing FF4 Research...
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:05 pm

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Kajuru wrote:
DancemasterGlenn wrote:http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Retranslation.html

Your script dump is there, along with your J > E difference, I believe. It was done months ago.

I know they exist.
They made the patch as well because people were interested in seeing it presented in that fashion.

That's what I meant. Why make the game "better"?


My bad, sorry if I sounded like an asshole. I dunno. I find it really interesting, and although I agree that the articles/simple presentation on the site are fine as-is, I suppose an argument could be made that this way it's more "fun" to play through and see the difference in game.

As to why they should make the game "better"... I also can't fully explain it, but if I had to warrant a guess, I would say that until the game was retranslated, those of us who didn't speak Japanese would continue to wonder if we were truly missing out on anything lost in the original translation. Sure, there's nothing absolutely earth shattering altered here (interesting stuff, but nothing to truly FLIP OUT about), but there COULD have been. Why the info would have been kept from us, I don't know. But really, the way I always saw the project was to put questions like that to rest. There you have it folks, our translation had some odd bits here and there, one or two parts clumsily translated ("find this person, FAST" and the whole Janus being a step-brother thing), but in the end, things were mostly culturally different. The translation was by no means a waste of time, and I'm going to probably play through it at some point: I see it as an interesting project that was worked hard on, and I think some congrats are in order. They did a really good job.

Now if we could get Secret of Mana retranslated... *kicks himself out of the discussion*
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God
Posts: 922
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:27 pm
Contact:

Post by Nightcrawler »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:Now if we could get Secret of Mana retranslated... *kicks himself out of the discussion*


I just posted this in another topic.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/18/

This is certainly worth trying out. I played through this in it's entirety. It does fix up the dialog. It's not too far away from a retranslation attempt.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
creaothceann
Seen it all
Posts: 2302
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by creaothceann »

Deathlike2 wrote:If you really wanted the literal translation, you are better off learning Japanese (or the original language) in order to know the proper meanings+intentions of the original script. Converting to another language will hamper this, regardless.

True.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Panzer88
Inmate
Posts: 1485
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:28 am
Location: Salem, Oregon
Contact:

Post by Panzer88 »

Deathlike2 wrote:If you really wanted the literal translation, you are better off learning Japanese (or the original language) in order to know the proper meanings+intentions of the original script. Converting to another language will hamper this, regardless.


I know it was probably inferred but you would need to learn the culture too, which usually goes hand in hand with the language.
byuu wrote:Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? >:(
blackmyst
Zealot
Posts: 1147
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:36 pm
Location: Place.

Post by blackmyst »

As long as they intend to keep things in like "Magus-sama" (among some of the other stuff I'm reading on that linked page which I don't feel like going into right now) I'm sorry to say I can't take this supposedly English translation seriously.

Of course they can do with their own time whatever the hell they want. True. But then don't tell people this patch is "fixing mistakes" when you're introducing an equal number of new mistakes.
Procrastination.
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.
Panzer88
Inmate
Posts: 1485
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:28 am
Location: Salem, Oregon
Contact:

Post by Panzer88 »

where did they say they were "fixing mistakes" exactly? I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but are you just pulling that out of your ass? I wouldn't mention it, only you used quotations, implying that they wrote that somewhere.
byuu wrote:Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? >:(
blackmyst
Zealot
Posts: 1147
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:36 pm
Location: Place.

Post by blackmyst »

It's said on the page, and it's said in Zeality's post in this very thread. Yeah they didn't use that literal phrase. I do hope you're not trying to pin me on not using the literal phrase. That would be funny in this context.
Procrastination.
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.
Kajuru
Regular
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:43 pm
Location: localhost

SFDSA

Post by Kajuru »

blackmyst wrote:As long as they intend to keep things in like "Magus-sama" (among some of the other stuff I'm reading on that linked page which I don't feel like going into right now) I'm sorry to say I can't take this supposedly English translation seriously.

Thumbs up. Aside from Japanese people, only otakus would call anyone "Sama". I woudn't be surprised if in some parts they say Chan, Kun or Sempai.
Changing Frog into Kaeru is just as retarded.

Panzer88 wrote:where did they say they were "fixing mistakes" exactly? I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but are you just pulling that out of your ass? I wouldn't mention it, only you used quotations, implying that they wrote that somewhere.

Zeality and his followers say it all the time @ GameFaqs
Panzer88
Inmate
Posts: 1485
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:28 am
Location: Salem, Oregon
Contact:

Post by Panzer88 »

blackmyst wrote:It's said on the page, and it's said in Zeality's post in this very thread. Yeah they didn't use that literal phrase. I do hope you're not trying to pin me on not using the literal phrase. That would be funny in this context.


not really, I'm not trying to be a pill, I just know that people start saying things and then other people say things and before you know it, the facts become fuzzy. I don't care as much in this case, I just have a pet peeve of misquoting. Sorry for making a stink over nothing, I was under the impression that this was merely a scientific approach to something rather than a "fixing" so thanks for tipping me off to that

**ramble ramble, continued rambling...**

EDIT:

Kajuru wrote:Changing Frog into Kaeru is just as retarded.


this on the other hand is a perfect example of what I was talking about, people screwing up their facts. if you'd look they call him frog in this patch, just because one group plans to do such things doesn't mean they all do. Get your facts straight man.
byuu wrote:Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? >:(
Unforgiven

Post by Unforgiven »

Kajuru wrote:They claim they don't want to disrespect Ted's work, and add accuracy, yet, BoltSword became ThndrSword...
meanwhile, dozens of great games remain untranslated.


Make no mistake: Ted Woolsey deserves the same level of respect as Quentin Tarantino. That is: NONE.

This thread is about the Chrono Trigger translation however so if you're interested in my thoughs about "Fool"sey I can make a new thread if you want.

As for being disappointed about the "dozens of great games" that "remain untranslated", why don't you... I don't know... learn Japanese and translate them! Great games no longer have to remain untranslated!

Put up or shut up.

Panzer88 wrote:it's funny, people think it's cool to decensorize because we were being "denied something" but when it is deamericanized "OMFG WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING YOU JAPOPHILE GO TO HELL FAGOT!!!!"

I mean, how exactly are they different? only one takes more time.


Hypocrisy. There a little bit of it in EVERYONE.

The enlightened ones are the ones who realize they are hypocrites.
I.S.T.
Zealot
Posts: 1325
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:03 am

Post by I.S.T. »

Unforgiven wrote:
Kajuru wrote:They claim they don't want to disrespect Ted's work, and add accuracy, yet, BoltSword became ThndrSword...
meanwhile, dozens of great games remain untranslated.


Make no mistake: Ted Woolsey deserves the same level of respect as Quentin Tarantino. That is: NONE.

This thread is about the Chrono Trigger translation however so if you're interested in my thoughs about "Fool"sey I can make a new thread if you want.

As for being disappointed about the "dozens of great games" that "remain untranslated", why don't you... I don't know... learn Japanese and translate them! Great games no longer have to remain untranslated!

Put up or shut up.

Panzer88 wrote:it's funny, people think it's cool to decensorize because we were being "denied something" but when it is deamericanized "OMFG WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING YOU JAPOPHILE GO TO HELL FAGOT!!!!"

I mean, how exactly are they different? only one takes more time.


Hypocrisy. There a little bit of it in EVERYONE.

The enlightened ones are the ones who realize they are hypocrites.


Ted Woolsey was given a job: Translate games quickly. He was given tight restrictions as well. Half of the edits that he made were due to Nintendo's policies! yes, he often got too carried away, but to say he isn't deserving of respect is just false!

Also, I must ask you: why did you bump a nearly 7 month topic?
creaothceann
Seen it all
Posts: 2302
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by creaothceann »

Unforgiven wrote:[...] the same level of respect as Quentin Tarantino. That is: NONE.

I respectfully disagree.

I was wondering, just between us girls, what did you say to Pai Mei to make him snatch out your eye?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Unforgiven

Post by Unforgiven »

creaothceann wrote:
Unforgiven wrote:[...] the same level of respect as Quentin Tarantino. That is: NONE.

I respectfully disagree.

I was wondering, just between us girls, what did you say to Pai Mei to make him snatch out your eye?


I just got an idea: Quentin Tarantino and Victor Ireland (from the now defunct Working Designs) should team up and produce a movie + game combo.

Tarantino, with his schoolboy-like "WOW THAT IS SO COOL! LET'S COPY THAT!" Japanese fanboyism and Ireland's "HEY, LET'S PUT A BILL CLINTON JOKE IN THIS JAPANESE FEUDAL-ERA GAME" arrogance, you simply can't go wrong.

So you would go to the movies and watch Kill Bill with Bill "I did not have sexual relations with her" Clinton jokes then buy the limited edition deluxe box set game of the movie that costs $100+ where Victor Ireland commands his college kid employees to translate the game and gives them full liberty to add "George Bush is stupid lol" jokes.

And the best thing is, consumers will still buy it.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny
Posts: 5626
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:15 pm
Location: PAL50, dood !

Post by grinvader »

五点棕櫚爆炸心臟技術!
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)

Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~
Posts: 3534
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:14 pm
Location: Nokia Land

Post by Agozer »

5-star explosive spirit technique?
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Image
Locked