Chrono Trigger retrans?

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Neo Kaiser wrote:Besides having Flea,Ozzie and Slash named after food ingredients is not appealing in any way.
Um, I believe they're named after rock stars.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

snkcube wrote:
Neo Kaiser wrote:Besides having Flea,Ozzie and Slash named after food ingredients is not appealing in any way.
Yes, in the english version, I think he is referring to the names in the japanese version, which, for example: Ozzie was called "Vinegar".
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Joe Camacho wrote:
snkcube wrote:
Yes, in the english version, I think he is referring to the names in the japanese version, which, for example: Ozzie was called "Vinegar".
Ah, my bad.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Yeah... Ozzie=Vinegar , Flea=Mayonaisee ,Slash=Soy....something. Those jap names really breaks my appetite.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

It worked out perfectly in Chrono Cross, I don't see you hating the game because pepper was called "pepper" and not "manson".
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

A band that combined Ozzy, Flea, and Slash would be killer. Black Hot Guns?
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

badinsults wrote:A band that combined Ozzy, Flea, and Slash would be killer. Black Hot Guns?
You know, that would be cool to see them play together.
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

It's Soysah.
Seifer_={---*

Post by Seifer_={---* »

hey nerds

I'd like to revive a 2 year old thread to make fun of "SKY RENDTURD"

So I checked out the new finished translation here. Just reading the new translation of the chapter names on the save screen can give us an idea of how good Ted Woolsey was at his job. It's almost as if SKY RENERDS is saying "look at how much worse I made it" by allowing people to directly compare it with the real translation.

"The Queen who Returned" instead of "The Queen Returns"

give me a break

"The Egg of Time" instead of "The Time Egg"

it gets worse, read the rest of it. on some of them he seemed to completely strip them of any meaning in english.

dumb
[url=http://seifer.whattheboat.com][img]http://seifer.whattheboat.com/images/seiferlogo.gif[/img][/url]
byuu

Post by byuu »

What the ... ?

KWhazit translated "Watashi wa chikara ga, hoshikatta dake da." as "I just wanted power." ?!
It's clearly "I only wanted power." !!!!!

He completely lost the meaning of that sentence! Screw this, I'm retranslating the game myself.

(EDIT: fixed typo in Japanese sentence)
Last edited by byuu on Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

byuu wrote: He completely lost the meaning of that sentence! Screw this, I'm retranslating the game myself.
Why are you retranslating it at all?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

byuu wrote:It's clearly "I only wanted power." !!!!!

He completely lost the meaning of that sentence! Screw this, I'm retranslating the game myself.
I digress, it's obviously "I soley wanted power." nobody knows how to translate anything, I'll just have to do it myself. plus I'm gonna make it proper "The Eternal Egg of Time."
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

Nach wrote:
byuu wrote: He completely lost the meaning of that sentence! Screw this, I'm retranslating the game myself.
Why are you retranslating it at all?
sarcasm detection failed.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

"Magus-Sama..."

Reading stopped.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Seifer_={---* wrote:hey nerdsit gets worse, read the rest of it. on some of them he seemed to completely strip them of any meaning in english.
There's a point where you butcher the English language.. and makes one want to compare that with people with really really bad English. They are not so far off.

Seriously, a translation that does not make the proper changes to make it sound appropriate in language they translate it to should learn why international incidents exist.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
byuu

Post by byuu »

Honestly, it's pretty easy to care too much about your all-time favorite game. And the thought of the script being Americanized and censored can be upsetting ... but you really just have to learn Japanese to realize the way things really are. There is an infinite level of detail that you'll just never convey into English. To give you an idea, there's at least ten different ways to say the word "I" in Japanese. Same for "you". Each carry different connotations and convey different things, based on who is saying which word to who. There's just no way to translate something 1:1 from Japanese to English ... it's not possible. Most will understand and compromise after enough study. But not all. A few, such as Sky Render and KWhazit, continue to believe in trying to be as literal as possible.

But you know what? That's fine. It's their choice, and it isn't necessarily wrong, just because the majority happen to disagree. I may rag on them, but really ... it's their time. I fully support and respect their efforts to do whatever they want with their time, so long as they don't go around trying to convince people that their way is the (only / correct / right) way to translate.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

if they had any respect for the japanese culture or language, they would have translated it word for word

ooooh you go to supermahket? you bring me back noodles!! get home befo suppah or fatha will discipline you tonight! now go little one!!
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

phOnYmIkE wrote:ooooh you go to supermahket? you bring me back noodles!! get home befo suppah or fatha will discipline you tonight! now go little one!!
That's more like, indian or chinese.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Agozer wrote:
phOnYmIkE wrote:ooooh you go to supermahket? you bring me back noodles!! get home befo suppah or fatha will discipline you tonight! now go little one!!
That's more like, indian or chinese.
YOU WA SHOCK!!!!

...is more like it.

edit: Let's fighting love, people.
Eyedunno
Rookie

Post by Eyedunno »

Since this thread has already been resurrected...

These retranslation ideas sound simply retarded. "Mystics" seems like a fine translation for Mazoku, as does "Frog" for Kaeru.

I personally have much more of a gripe with Natsuko Toda than with game localization. She's this movie subtitle translator in Japan who's famous for her prolificness - about FIFTY (50) movies a year. All of her subtitle work seems incredibly lazy (even occasionally having moments where the Japanese dialog, while seeming like something that would fit what's going on on screen, is totally different from the actual English dialog, meaning, I would assume, that she simply didn't have time and made up the dialog out of whole cloth), but of course she's not lazy; nobody could possibly give a movie script the attention it deserves in one week's time. Well, unless it's Dude, Where's My Car or something.

Translations of lyrics sheets crack me up too. I was looking through Bad Religion translations out of boredom, and I found some hilarious stuff:
  • "In my alley 'round the corner, there's a wino with feathered shoulders and a spirit giving head for crack, and he'll never want it back" became すぐ間近に軽々しい飲んでくれ二日酔いで頭痛を催し 反省することしきり, which may be roughly translated to "There's [a person] nearby with a hangover from drinking carelessly, and he keeps regretting it."
  • "How many angels can you fit upon a match? I want to know why Hemingway cracked" became この戦 天使を幾人、呼べば対抗できる? ヘミングウェイはなぜ名声を得たんだ? [How many angels can you take on in this competition? I want to know why Hemingway became famous.]
  • "Jack wore a skirt, but he knew how to scrap" became ジャックはスカートをはいていても解体の仕方を知っていた。 [Jack wore a skirt, but he knew how to disassemble things.]
Hopefully someone else finds this stuff entertaining. :)

Oh, and some nitpicking of my own. grinvader, shouldn't that be 追って来い (ottekoi)? I could see reading it "tsuite koi" if 追 were ateji, but even there, it seems it should be 追いて来い.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Eyedunno wrote:Oh, and some nitpicking of my own. grinvader, shouldn't that be 追って来い (ottekoi)? I could see reading it "tsuite koi" if 追 were ateji, but even there, it seems it should be 追いて来い.
Geh.
Blame my IME for giving me 追 when for tsui, removing the い. Tsuite doesn't give anything sensed, so I had to break into smaller pieces.
(And it is tsuitekoi, check the original lyrics)
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Eyedunno
Rookie

Post by Eyedunno »

grinvader wrote:
Eyedunno wrote:Oh, and some nitpicking of my own. grinvader, shouldn't that be 追って来い (ottekoi)? I could see reading it "tsuite koi" if 追 were ateji, but even there, it seems it should be 追いて来い.
Geh.
Blame my IME for giving me 追 when for tsui, removing the い. Tsuite doesn't give anything sensed, so I had to break into smaller pieces.
(And it is tsuitekoi, check the original lyrics)
Okay, I see what's happened then. 追 has an onyomi of tsui, as in 追跡 (tsuiseki, a chase). The proper kanji there should be 付いて来い, but it's rare to use kanji in that combination (because it's kind of spoken Japanese anyway), so probably ついて来い is best. What I meant up there by ateji is like using 鈴 (suzu) and pronouncing it beru as in "bell," even though that's not really a normally acceptable reading. Seems there's no need to do that here though.

Here's a Japanese version, and they don't use kanji at all (even for 来い):
http://hexebo.hp.infoseek.co.jp/katamar ... oouzi.html
ZeaLitY

Post by ZeaLitY »

Patch is out: here.

Patch comes with an amazing readme which stupefyingly explains that the retranslation was, in fact, effected to find real canon / correct minor details and NOT to attempt to outdo Ted Woolsey's writing! :roll:

But feel free to blindly compare it to RPGOne regardless.
http://www.chronocompendium.com
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

OMG it's like teh SKAI RENDERZ!!!!

just thought I'd preempt everyone else.

Hey, I think as long as they aren't making claims contrary to their work then it's all good.

I'll be the first to say congrats on finishing your project. I know you guys over their at the compendium have a passion for the chrono games.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
shinomori_kyo

Re: Chrono Trigger retrans?

Post by shinomori_kyo »

Magusx wrote:Anyone think Chrono Trigger should be retranslated? I mean, in game...they call beer soda. And instead of demon they use the word "magic" instead. I bet this would be good if it was retranslated. Anyone agree?
They don't need to retranslate it.
I believe that I saw a patch a while back on some site that fixed those.
It might have been on ?http://www.zophar.net/hacks/snes.html