Chrono Trigger retrans?

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Graeystone wrote:For anyone who wants to do a CT remake, this is how you DON'T do it.

http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/

Course, everyone here probablly heard about this one. Lesson learned: "Don't tick off the billion dollar company by showing them how a remake is SUPPOSED to be done."
Yes, NOT ASKING FOR PERMISION TO USE COPYWRITED MATERIAL IS THE WAY TO GO !!!!

... I don't really blame squarenix one bit.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Carnivol
Rookie

Post by Carnivol »

Anyone who played Kingdom Hearts might call her that. They changed the name for Kingdom Hearts.
(Aeris/Aerith thingy)

I think Square-Enix actualy has changed it so Aerith is the "official" English name for her now.
Guess we'll know for sure what they'll do with Advent Children (maybe they'll use Aeris for consistancy with FF7, maybe they'll go with Aerith for the new "standard")

As a sidenote, Woosley is great, I mean... he managed to write himself a name in history by being a great translator, not many manages to do that, atleast not in the gaming industry, and doing something like that today is almost impossible. (But as a sidenote, romhackers/fantranslations are about the only ones to recieve the same kind of... appreciation, and same amount of complains about their decissions)
~empty zig space for rent~
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

Sure I understand why Squeenix did it, but I still would much rather that it was finished before they cracked down on it. 8-(

I believe Aerith was always "meant" to be the original name; it's not like FF7 had a flawless translation (ouch). I think there's a good chance AC will use Aerith.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

The translation of FF7 was godawful. Y:eah FF3!
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

I must be the only one who likes the name 'Aeris' better. Oh well.
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

Nah, I like Aeris too. Never been a fan of Aerith much myself.
Carnivol
Rookie

Post by Carnivol »

Aeris sounds more like a modern and "young" name

And for some reason, there's just something "grandma/old" about names ending with TH (Like Edith and Elizabeth)
~empty zig space for rent~
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Aerith sounds like you have a lisp. Aeris is much better.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Gospel
Hazed

Post by Gospel »

thephiroth
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Aeris sounds much for normal than Aerith.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

Aeris > Aerith

Aerith sounds like an aerosol spray brand.

"Get your house smelling Aerith fresh!"
To truly own, you must own at all games.
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

Perhaps Aeris sounds better, but Aerith has an actual meaning: It's Greek for "divine one".
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

There's a joke there about how she looks in Kingdom Hearts, but I decline.

Sure the Greek meaning isn't a coincidence?
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

No, which is why I think Aerith is supposed to be the "real" name.
Er... and by "No" I meant "Yes", of course. X-X I.e. yes, I think that's the reason behind the name.
Last edited by Cidolfas on Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gigafreak
Hazed

Post by Gigafreak »

I'm told "Aerith" is an anagram for "I, Earth."

...THAT is probably a coincidence.
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

Or "Teh Air" :shock:

also "The IRA"
ZeaLitY

Post by ZeaLitY »

Total, and I mean TOTAL thread necromancy, but if you want to see the end of this story, look at http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Tr ... ences.html . I've listed all the differences I could find in the 70% complete KW retranslation; once the last 30% comes out, we'll release the script and see if we can do a real hack or not. I still haven't had the time to add script references to some of those statements.
http://www.chronocompendium.com
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

Most of these seem nitpicky, some are downright silly (such as the difference between "Skyway" and "Road to Sky"). There are a few downright mistakes, but I dare you to find a professionally translated RPG where there aren't any. As for the larger changes, localization teams always have to make decisions to change things to make them more palatable to the audience they're dealing with. Sometimes it's a good idea (like the introduction of the butterfly/sashimi line) sometimes not... but I personally prefer a bit of English-induced personality to slavishly following the Japanese script.
ZeaLitY

Post by ZeaLitY »

Yeah, I'm guessing the script would be edited if a real rom hack were made. I was personally surprised to find even these, since RPGOne did make it sound like oodles of details lay hidden in the Japanese. Thankfully, some of it's good, like the Janus step-brother thing.
http://www.chronocompendium.com
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

I don't mind reading the changes (there's some interesting trivia there), but I still don't think it deserves a whole re-translation. I have the feeling that the end result would probably be a lot less enjoyable than the one we have now.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Very likely, if FF6 was any indication. But then, they aren't hurting anyone by offering their alternative, so let them have their fun.

I enjoy reading the changes noted above, but since SNES RPGs aren't exactly literary masterpieces, I'm not all that interested in replaying the game for the sake of a few script changes. However, I'm sure others are. So hooray.

Scary I used to think much like this 6-8 years ago, "Oh my god! You changed Dragon God to Dragon Lord! UNFORGIVABLE!" v_v

I think some of it is just obsession. You pretty much have to be obsessed with a game to spend several months or years of your life trying to hack and translate it. Even moreso to retranslate it. And when you're obsessed, those little details like Ayla not calling Crono "Cro", become much bigger deals to you than they really are.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

byuu wrote:Very likely, if FF6 was any indication. But then, they aren't hurting anyone by offering their alternative, so let them have their fun.
It hurts when they try to shove it into your face because "their" version is the "pure one" and if you use the "americanized" version you are not a true fan.
byuu

Post by byuu »

You make a very excellent point, Joe. However, we can exercise our maturity by ignoring people who say things like that. I probably couldn't -- I love flamewars, but its a good thing to strive to achieve, hm? :)
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

byuu wrote:You make a very excellent point, Joe. However, we can exercise our maturity by ignoring people who say things like that. I probably couldn't -- I love flamewars, but its a good thing to strive to achieve, hm? :)
Indeed.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Besides having Flea,Ozzie and Slash named after food ingredients is not appealing in any way.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!