Chrono Trigger retrans?

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

Nightcrawler wrote:And supposedly he has some type of autistic like social disorder called 'Asperger's Syndrome'.
Several romhacker i have heard of seem to be Aspies too, and they don't seem to be like SkyRender.
Aspergers is not easily recognizable - in fact, many children are misdiagnosed with other neurological disorders such as Tourette's Syndrome or Autism. More frequently, children are misdiagnosed with Attention Deficit (and Hyperactivity) Disorders (ADD & ADHD), Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD), or Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
That gives a new definition to "he's odd". :P
_-|-_
Grahf
"opinionated asshole"

Post by Grahf »

Joe Camacho wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:I thought you guys might be interested in this...

THIS is the person whom believes we need to retranslate Chrono Trigger...

http://skyrender.saulesco.com/about.html
After seeing that, and knowing why he want's to translate CT... This came to my mind.

Anime Nerd
BWAHAHAHAHA
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

grinvader wrote:
Cidolfas wrote:Only a few video games leave in a few Japanese names (such as Renzokuken in FF8, Fei's skills in Xenogears, or some of the items in Star Ocean 2) simply because translating them into English would mean a phrase five or six times longer than the Japanese name.
Well, Square did localize FF7's 超究武神覇斬 (chokyuubushinhazan - 'Super Ultimate War God Champion Slash') in a mere "omnislash".
Holy shit, nostalgia just dragon punched me in the face. I have the sudden urge to play FF7 for 96 hours straight until I start seeing things. Oh and btw where did you get the crazy jap names. Thanks to you I now I have a vague understanding of what "ky", "uubu", and "shin" mean.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

FireKnight wrote:Oh and btw where did you get the crazy jap names.
From the game. I have FF7 both japanese and US.
Thanks to you I now I have a vague understanding of what "ky", "uubu", and "shin" mean.
Err. 'ky' isn't japanese... You split the thing at the wrong places.
超 chou
究 kyuu
武 bu
神 shin
覇 ha
斬 zan

Think syllabic !
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

While we're still going on about japanese lessons...
grinvader: what's your new sig say?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

adventure_of_link wrote:what's your new sig say?
Eh, the goal is for you to find by yourself.

Hint
Now you only need someone to convert the sentence into romanji...
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

grinvader wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:what's your new sig say?
Eh, the goal is for you to find by yourself.

Hint
Now you only need someone to convert the sentence into romanji...
That song rocks the house.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

When is it polite to use ORE to refer to yourself? or is it never. or is that the point?

I suppose I should just shut up.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

whicker wrote:When is it polite to use ORE to refer to yourself?
Before 俺 is even used, "みんな黙って" gives you a rough idea on the politeness level. :twisted:
皆黙って俺について来い!!

snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

So is "minna damatte ore ni tsuite koi" your sig? I know a little Japanese...
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

snkcube wrote:So is "minna damatte ore ni tsuite koi" your sig? I know a little Japanese...
This is correct.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

rlbond
Hazed

Re: Chrono Trigger retrans?

Post by rlbond »

Magusx wrote:Anyone think Chrono Trigger should be retranslated? I mean, in game...they call beer soda. And instead of demon they use the word "magic" instead. I bet this would be good if it was retranslated. Anyone agree?
I bet you're one of those people who calls Aeris "Aerith", right? :roll:
To truly own, you must own at all games.
Gigafreak
Hazed

Re: Chrono Trigger retrans?

Post by Gigafreak »

rlbond wrote:
Magusx wrote:Anyone think Chrono Trigger should be retranslated? I mean, in game...they call beer soda. And instead of demon they use the word "magic" instead. I bet this would be good if it was retranslated. Anyone agree?
I bet you're one of those people who calls Aeris "Aerith", right? :roll:
Anyone who played Kingdom Hearts might call her that. They changed the name for Kingdom Hearts.

(Now, if he says "Efreet" rather than "Ifrit" ...)
Seifer_={---*

Post by Seifer_={---* »

kieran wrote:I'll probably play his CT re-trans when it comes out. It can't hurt. As gor Secret of Mana, that has already been re-translated. I think it has a nicer font and extended lines of dialogue.
LINK: http://fusoya.panicus.org/som/index.html

anime nerd: "LET US QUICKLY TRAVEL TO THE UNDISPUTED KING OF BURGERS AND FEAST ON DELICIOUSLY FLAME BROILED BOVINE FLESH UNIL WE ARE SATISFIED WITH 100% SATISFACTION. WAIT THE SENTENCE ISN'T LONG ENOUGH YET. OK THERE NOW IT IS."

normal person: "LETS GO TO BURGER KING FAST BECAUSE I AM HUNGRY"

p.s.

why am I talking about burger king

p.p.s.

Ted Woolsey is a normal person
[url=http://seifer.whattheboat.com][img]http://seifer.whattheboat.com/images/seiferlogo.gif[/img][/url]
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

:lol:

Nice one Seifer. That nicely illustrates what what it looks like from the outside. It just doesn't make sense for retranslations like that.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

SkyRender wrote:A fair amount will be different for CTUS players, yes. Maou's three henchmen, for example, are not named after band members. They're now Vinegor, Mayonay, and Soysah (the first one is slightly changed to match with the other two being not quite the same as the condiment his name refers to; I may keep it as Vinegar if enough people complain). The kids of Queen Zeal are Jacky and Sarah (not Janus and Schala), and the three sages are Bosch, Gash, and Hash. Chrono's mom actually has a name (Gina), Lucca's mom is Lala (and before you complain, I couldn't change this if I wanted to, so don't bother asking me to), Marle's real name is Marledia, the Epoch is Silvard, Frog is Kaeru, the Mystics are the Mazoku, and the Reptites are the Dinomen. That's just a start of the full list of what's different.
What does Kaeru mean in Japanese? It means frog.

But of course, when someone points this out, ChrisRPG and Sky Render go crazy. It's actually quite hilarious that none of them consider that nobody will understand the reference because it's in Japanese. Stupid fucks.
magno
Rookie

Post by magno »

SkyRender wrote:A fair amount will be different for CTUS players, yes. Maou's three henchmen, for example, are not named after band members. They're now Vinegor, Mayonay, and Soysah (the first one is slightly changed to match with the other two being not quite the same as the condiment his name refers to; I may keep it as Vinegar if enough people complain). The kids of Queen Zeal are Jacky and Sarah (not Janus and Schala), and the three sages are Bosch, Gash, and Hash. Chrono's mom actually has a name (Gina), Lucca's mom is Lala (and before you complain, I couldn't change this if I wanted to, so don't bother asking me to), Marle's real name is Marledia, the Epoch is Silvard, Frog is Kaeru, the Mystics are the Mazoku, and the Reptites are the Dinomen. That's just a start of the full list of what's different.

If you change Lucca's name from "LARA" to "LALA"... what's about with the crazy machine password? The password was after Lucca's mother's name so it does matter in the game.
Anyway, I think most of that changed names you say are transliterated to english for better sounding: Marle is more proper than Marledia, and so it is "Reptites"... "Dinomen" sound more like a shabby superhero's name XDD
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

I was thinking the same thing about "Lala", I haven't played the Japanese version but maybe the password is LALA.
Of course, Sky Render forgets that THEY DON'T HAVE AN L IN JAPANESE so her name could be RARA, LALA, RALA, or LARA. Which would you choose if you were Woolsey?

Sky Render is seriously out of his mind.
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

Similarly, there is absolutely no difference between Schala and Sarah in Japanese. Reptites sounds about ten times cooler than "Dinomen". Changing Ozzie to Vinegor leaves an unintended crossover to Chrono Cross. Both Silvard and Marledia were just too long for the five-character naming screen, and Epoch also sounds much cooler (and is much more relevant, since it's a time machine).
Frankly, I think Woolsey did an excellent job with the names.
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

I agree.
Givin the limitations with which he was presented, he did an excellent job.

So what if "50% of the dialogue" is missing? The story didn't change.
Spoony
Hazed

Post by Spoony »

I think his intent is really just to make playing the game as painful as possible. "Maou", "Soysah", "Lala".

Gee, I can hardly imagine why anybody would've decided to translate those to, you know, something that would make any amount of sense as a name.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=spoony]Immortality[/url]
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

I know! If he's translating to english, why doesn't he use english sounding names?

But of course, that would be destroying the beauty of the japanese script, to call Lala "Lara" instead. Big no-no.
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

"Mazoku" has meaning to Japanese players. It does not to English players :/
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

Same thing with "Kaeru"

Sky Render argues that Kaeru can also mean inspiration or something, but so what? English speakers who play it will have no clue what Kaeru means. It's better to have some meaning to players than none at all.
Graeystone

Post by Graeystone »

For anyone who wants to do a CT remake, this is how you DON'T do it.

http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/

Course, everyone here probablly heard about this one. Lesson learned: "Don't tick off the billion dollar company by showing them how a remake is SUPPOSED to be done."