Chrono Trigger retrans?

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Magusx
Rookie

Chrono Trigger retrans?

Post by Magusx »

Anyone think Chrono Trigger should be retranslated? I mean, in game...they call beer soda. And instead of demon they use the word "magic" instead. I bet this would be good if it was retranslated. Anyone agree?
Just do drugs...they are good for you (not the additive ones)
The Sage Of Time
Hazed

Post by The Sage Of Time »

Not really. Those aren't very good reasons, the translation was already well done, fairly polished.. Just a couple of words like that don't mean anything honestly.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Isn't there an editor for CT that allows the modification of text strings? For a few words that might be helpful.

EDIT: Name's Temporal Flux.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Re: Chrono Trigger retrans?

Post by Joe Camacho »

Magusx wrote:Anyone think Chrono Trigger should be retranslated? I mean, in game...they call beer soda. And instead of demon they use the word "magic" instead. I bet this would be good if it was retranslated. Anyone agree?
OH NOES!!!!! US CHRONO TRIGGER IS FOR KIDDIES!!!

Seriously, I don't see anything wrong with the translation. And you don't really give any valid points.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Magusx
Rookie

Post by Magusx »

Joe Camacho wrote:
Magusx wrote:Anyone think Chrono Trigger should be retranslated? I mean, in game...they call beer soda. And instead of demon they use the word "magic" instead. I bet this would be good if it was retranslated. Anyone agree?

Seriously, I don't see anything wrong with the translation. And you don't really give any valid points.
Oh well. You'd be surpised how much diffrent jap is from eng.
Just do drugs...they are good for you (not the additive ones)
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Magusx wrote:
Joe Camacho wrote:

I'm sure it's different, but honestly, if there is proof that we lost say important stuff from the story, well, fine with me, but I really think that replacing "magics" with "demons" and "Soda" with "Beer" will have *any* impact in the game's story.

Bring more arguments, and maybe we might agree with you.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

No.. Chrono Trigger does not need a retranslation. Some item names were different. Big deal. I'll tell you a little secret.. Item names are changed from the literal Japanese meaning in just about EVERY GAME EVER TRANSLATED!

Should we now retranslate every single game? I think not.

You have given no viable reasons for a retranslation of Chrono Trigger.

However.. RPGOne claims to be working on a Chrono Trigger retranslation.

Out of all the comparisons I've ever seen between the two versions with actual EVIDENCE.. there is no need for a retranslation.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Magusx wrote:
Joe Camacho wrote:

We will? OK.. surprise us then. What are the differences?
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

"Demon" and "magic" are both denoted by "ma" in Japanese (one is short for "mahou" and one for "majin"). So it's entirely possible that "magic" is not a mistranslation at all.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

I thought CT was perfect. I did not notice any flaws or anything. Even the FF6 re-translation was not really neccesary, but I did like the new font he used. Breath of Fire 2 is an example of something thatshould be re-translated.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Cidolfas wrote:"Demon" and "magic" are both denoted by "ma" in Japanese (one is short for "mahou" and one for "majin"). So it's entirely possible that "magic" is not a mistranslation at all.
Perhaps this guy will be more happy if every item was just in romanji. He won't know what half the items are even referring to, but then he can't complain about simple differences in translations.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Well, there's "Ozzy's in a pickle!" and probably some more that I can't remember. But nothing about that game bothers me the way it is, really.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
LobStar
Lurker

Post by LobStar »

Heh, why not pull a Sky Render then ;). Take the already translated Chrono Trigger and just retranslate and insert the script/fix any "mis-translated" graphics, etc. I see no advantage, if they are going to retranslate the game, to redo the entire wealth of hacking if it's already done well and quite acceptable.
... Ever take a look at the Earthbound ROM? I SWEAR THE PROGRAMMERS WERE ON CRACK WHEN THEY DID IT! JUST LOOK AT IT!
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

I remember there being some jackasses on GameFAQs' CT board who wanted to do this. One change they wanted? Changing Mystics to Mazou or something along those lines.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

There is something called Chrono Trigger Bugfix Patch at Zophar's Domain. It isn't a re-translation, but it has grammar fixes to the game.
[Download]
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

http://forums.emuxhaven.net/showthread.php?t=5023

Here is the Chrono Trigger Retranslation topic on the RPGOne board. You can probably skip the last few pages for the most recent stuff.

SkyRender has a very warped interpretation of Chrono Trigger's Translation. He describes it as being mutilated and disrespectful to the oiginal writers. I think he's a little over the edge. However.. being that he ws the crusader on the FF3 retranslation as well, I'm not surprised.

It saddens me to know so much time a hacker and a useful translator is being spent on changing some item names, pretending to write a better story by making each sentence 5 words longer, and trying to be cool with more japanese references in the script that non nerds would probably not even understand.

While epics such as Far East of Eden Zero, or Dai Kai 2 remain untranslated.

I wonder sometimes if it is done for publicity. Look at how much clammor and attention they get for FF3 and Chono Trigger retranslation as opposed to the clamour for a relatively unknown game such as my projects.

We're talking about them right now.. feeding the fire even more.
ATG

Post by ATG »

LobStar wrote:Heh, why not pull a Sky Render then
I find that sort of funny, especially when you consider the fact that Sky Render is currently retranslating it—and for RPGone too. But since it's Sky's time, and he's already pretty much devoted his time to retranslating almost everything Woolsey did (he's also planning to retranslate Secret of Mana), I suppose what he does with his time is pretty much his business. :lol:

By the way, Woolsey admitted in an interview that he was forced to cut down 50% of the original scripts due to technical problems concerning the official translation.

Chrono Trigger's script was written by Yuji Hori, known for Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior. Sky Render claims that CT was written to appeal more to DQ/DW fans than to FF fans—it contained much of the sardonic wit and understated seriousness that Hori is famous for. It is also replete with a bunch of puns/word-play the Japanese are known for (Take the Japanese "Ma", for example—which was part of Magus' original name (Maou). In Magus'/Maou's case, it means both Demon and Magic King). When Woolsey translated it, he rewrote it to conform more to the tastes of FF fans than those of DQ/DW—probably because FF was more popular in the US than DQ is. Since Hori's ideas and preferences for a concept would probably differ from Kitase's or Sakaguchi's, I'm inclined to believe that Sky's argument has cogency.

Sky Render also claims that he is doing the retranslation first for himself before any other, so it is safe to assume that he will likely be immune to any form of negative criticism. :twisted:

More than anything else, I'm rather curious concerning the methods he will use to accurately interpret the original Japanese puns into English.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

I'll probably play his CT re-trans when it comes out. It can't hurt. As gor Secret of Mana, that has already been re-translated. I think it has a nicer font and extended lines of dialogue.
LINK: http://fusoya.panicus.org/som/index.html
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

It really does like nice, thanks Kieran.
ATG

Post by ATG »

FuSoYa's SOM patch was more in the nature of a slight edit than a complete retranslation. Sky Render plans to return the religious references to the game, return the characterization to its original form (Woolsey was notorious for tampering with characterization), and—as usual—restore the original item names. The original SD2 was actually a whole lot more serious than silly, the same way SD3 was.

At the very least, his attempt would ensure a more accurate affinity to Neil Corlett's SD3 Translation.
Last edited by ATG on Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Everybody loves to talk about the 50% cut interview... WHERE IS IT? You can't start citing sources without linking to them.

Woolsey contradicted himself in the two interviews I linked to in the 'I'd like to know from which game this screenshot comes from!' in the Gaming Forum, about Secret of Mana. In one he claimed, he cut alot, but in another, he claimed he really didn't cut much. I question the validity of said interviews. I also question the context people choose to take from them. You take one statement by Woolsey and run to the moon with it that the translation was so 'mutilated' and horrible.

To date no one has shown me any real valid reasons for a retranslation of either FF3 or Chrono Trigger.

Any intelligent individual doing work publicly on the Internet is going to be 'immune' to negative criticism. It's the Internet we're talking about here. The net IS criticism. That doesn't mean anything about their reasoning or intention.
LobStar
Lurker

Post by LobStar »

ATG wrote:
LobStar wrote:Heh, why not pull a Sky Render then
I find that sort of funny, especially when you consider the fact that Sky Render is currently retranslating it—and for RPGone too. But since it's Sky's time, and he's already pretty much devoted his time to retranslating almost everything Woolsey did (he's also planning to retranslate Secret of Mana), I suppose what he does with his time is pretty much his business. :lol:

By the way, Woolsey admitted in an interview that he was forced to cut down 50% of the original scripts due to technical problems concerning the official translation.

Chrono Trigger's script was written by Yuji Hori, known for Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior. Sky Render claims that CT was written to appeal more to DQ/DW fans than to FF fans—it contained much of the sardonic wit and understated seriousness that Hori is famous for. It is also replete with a bunch of puns/word-play the Japanese are known for (Take the Japanese "Ma", for example—which was part of Magus' original name (Maou). In Magus'/Maou's case, it means both Demon and Magic King). When Woolsey translated it, he rewrote it to conform more to the tastes of FF fans than those of DQ/DW—probably because FF was more popular in the US than DQ is. Since Hori's ideas and preferences for a concept would probably differ from Kitase's or Sakaguchi's, I'm inclined to believe that Sky's argument has cogency.

Sky Render also claims that he is doing the retranslation first for himself before any other, so it is safe to assume that he will likely be immune to any form of negative criticism. :twisted:

More than anything else, I'm rather curious concerning the methods he will use to accurately interpret the original Japanese puns into English.
Hey, I'm not complaining, it's his own time. I'm the guy thats doing Space Channel 5 Part 2 for the DC, though, I too have different reasons, not pertaining to quality of translation either. It's out of sheer respect of Mizuguchi-sama and DC fans everywhere. The game is native to DC, I feel it should have gotten it's USA release on DC as well. My big beef was he's not reusing the already coded text system the USA one features. I don't think I've seen any bugs with it, so I mean, why the heck not. If anything, it saves him alot of time. Just dump script, translate script, insert script. Change graphics, play game and be happy.
... Ever take a look at the Earthbound ROM? I SWEAR THE PROGRAMMERS WERE ON CRACK WHEN THEY DID IT! JUST LOOK AT IT!
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

...I can't believe someone was anal enough to bring up how Magus was translated. That was the ONLY decent name Woosley could possibly have pulled out for that guy, as there's no word in English that can convey the dual meaning. I actually applaud coming up with calling him Magus... It actually means magician/sorceror, and is a cool name overall.

I at least hope Sky Render is doing all the hacking work himself.
LobStar
Lurker

Post by LobStar »

Metatron wrote:...I can't believe someone was anal enough to bring up how Magus was translated. That was the ONLY decent name Woosley could possibly have pulled out for that guy, as there's no word in English that can convey the dual meaning. I actually applaud coming up with calling him Magus... It actually means magician/sorceror, and is a cool name overall.

It would appear as if ChrisRPG is doing the hacking and Sky Render is doing the translation, at least from the tone of the thread.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Metatron wrote:...I can't believe someone was anal enough to bring up how Magus was translated. That was the ONLY decent name Woosley could possibly have pulled out for that guy, as there's no word in English that can convey the dual meaning. I actually applaud coming up with calling him Magus... It actually means magician/sorceror, and is a cool name overall.

This is part of Sky Render's stance. He would rather change the character names and item names to their original Japanese! That's where he's off his rocker. He thinks the translation is so poor partly because names were changed into something, god forbid, someone who speaks English will understand rather than straight romanization of the Japanese word. To condem a translation over such silly things like that is beyond me. All the translators I have worked with over the past few years try and change character names and/or item names into something an English person would understand if the literal romanization is not suitable and they deem it necessary. It seems Sky Render is against the masses from my experiences.