Y is the Win version so good/what is the Linux version like?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Hou

Y is the Win version so good/what is the Linux version like?

Post by Hou »

Hello, used Zsnes a long time ago but I always had the real thing so never really got in to it. I now have so much floating about I am basically planning on putting it all in storage and just using Zsnes. I have noticed that the Win version is absolutely outstanding now (great work:), but the Dos version douse not appear to have advanced so much. Has development on the Dos version stopped or is it just a limitation of Dos? I do not wish to use Windows on my Zsnes box so was wondering what you all think of the Linux version? Is it more like the Dos or Win version? Or is it better or not as good as them both? What’s its pad support like as well? Thank you.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

The development of the DOS port hasn't stopped. It has fewer updates because DOS is fairly limited like you said. The Linux version is more or less identical to the Windows port, it just happens to use OpenGL for graphics.
Last edited by Agozer on Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Hou

Post by Hou »

Thanks Agozer :) Linux sounds like the one for me, can I wire real snes pads in the parallel and still use them on it do you know?
Richard C.
Lurker

Post by Richard C. »

yup. you can connect a snes gamepad by wiring it up to a parallel port
Latest ZSNES release: [url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com]ZSNES 11/12/06 WIP[/url]
Latest NSRT release: [url=http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/]NSRT 3.3 Final[/url]
Bahamut_ZERO_Clue

Post by Bahamut_ZERO_Clue »

The Linux port is just like the Windows port but I recommend for best results you use it with a kernel of the 2.6.x series. SDL is just as powerful a Platform API as DirectX is. Properly setup X11 and OpenGL give great framerates with modern graphics cards. ALSA with kernel 2.6.x has nearly equal if not greater in some cases quality than DirectSound.

However Linux is picky about hardware. Nvidia GeForce graphics cards and Creative Emu10kx series Sound cards are the best supported.

AFAIK on the controllers... I use a Wishtech Adaptoid for USB and it works really well. Linux also supports older hardware better too and many old controler that might not work under XP still have drivers for Linux.
Hou

Post by Hou »

Thank you all, I am going to have to get a newer copy of Linux and give it a try :)