Best games for SNES

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

sjoecool1991

Post by sjoecool1991 »

Puyo Puyo is a great puzzle game, I would give it 4.5 out of 5.
Grendel
Rookie

Post by Grendel »

Why get regular ol' "Super Mario All-Stars" when you can get "Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World"? :P

I noticed "Demon's Crest" on the list. I played through it somewhat recently. It seems like the game was too overlooked, considering the quality of its development. Good suggestion, though.
hippieboy42

Post by hippieboy42 »

I must note that Legend of Zelda 3 (A Link to the Past) is, essentially, the best game made for the SNES.
And, nearly, the best game ever made.
But most assuredly for the SNES...
Grendel
Rookie

Post by Grendel »

hippieboy42 wrote:I must note that Legend of Zelda 3 (A Link to the Past) is, essentially, the best game made for the SNES.
Unfortunately, I passed this one up in my youth. I got the GBA port when it was released, but didn't think much of it at the time. It is sort of interesting, but I guess I had to experience it back in the golden days to have an appreciation for it.

As far as SNES is concerned, my favorites are probably:

Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World, as mentioned above - seriously, how do you beat five Mario games in one?! :P

Kirby Super Star - same reasons above. A whole lot of Kirby rolled into one release, and plenty of mini-games.

Kirby's Dream Land 3 - great platformer with lots of mini-games. Possibly my favorite type of platformer, as I loved solving all the puzzles and trying to win the affection of the NPCs. (and the neat cameos)

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - way ahead of its time. This game had some great features, and very colorful environments. I personally prefer the GBA port, though. I think the graphics look much nicer at a smaller resolution, plus it had the bonus levels exclusive to the GBA release.

Star Ocean - it would be a great RPG if it would just work most of the time. I also think this is one of those "ahead of its time" games, considering how face-paced the battles are. Pretty much everything about it is nice.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Cameltry or "On the Ball" needs a mention too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameltry

http://youtube.com/watch?v=08K6n8kz30I& ... ed&search=

It plays with the Snes mouse (though it can be played with a pad too)
byuu

Post by byuu »

Well, Cameltry was pretty damn easy to beat. And this is coming from a guy who sucks at games.

"Very hard" mode beaten on my first time playing the game. I guess it was kind of fun, though. Reminds me of the bonus levels in Sonic 1, but not as flashy.

Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

byuu wrote:Well, Cameltry was pretty damn easy to beat. And this is coming from a guy who sucks at games.

"Very hard" mode beaten on my first time playing the game. I guess it was kind of fun, though. Reminds me of the bonus levels in Sonic 1, but not as flashy.
In the US version (and I suppose Japanese as well, but I haven't tried yet) there's actually 4 "worlds". So the first "very hard mode" is only 1/4 of the total game
- I think many people would miss it because you have to enter a password that is given to you after you beat all difficulties...

edit: Passwords for fields 2-3-4

BIRTH Field 2
BUILD Field 3
SMILE Field 4

edit: and there are a bunch of passwords that gives access to harder modes apparently.

Slightly off topic, I got the Japanese Cameltry catridge, but weirdly enough, the mouse doesn't seem to work...I know it did with the US version. So either the Jp version doesn't support the mouse, or the US mouse is not compatible with Jp games.

edit 3: Japanese version doesn't seem to support the mouse after all. So the 'On the Ball' US version is much better.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Re: Abducted

Post by FirebrandX »

adventure_of_link wrote:
moon582 wrote:I guess that you must of been abducted lat night or something cos your definatly are not thinking straight.
I gueess that you must of been stricken with the dumb or something cos you seemed to provide no relevance to an old thread.
What does "must of" mean exactly? I'm aware of "must have" or "must've" but I cannot for the life of me figure out where people are getting the idea that "must of" makes sense.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

FirebrandX wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:
moon582 wrote:I guess that you must of been abducted lat night or something cos your definatly are not thinking straight.
I gueess that you must of been stricken with the dumb or something cos you seemed to provide no relevance to an old thread.
What does "must of" mean exactly? I'm aware of "must have" or "must've" but I cannot for the life of me figure out where people are getting the idea that "must of" makes sense.
First off I was going with the flow ;)

next off, why bump a thread which the last post was made one month ago?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

because it's already on the top? and won't be leaving, apparently.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

I don't think you can bump a stickied thread.
Actually I'm positive you can't.
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

FirebrandX wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:
depends on the local accent.
Must've spelled like it sounds is "must of" instead of must-av.

Of course, I'm making that up. I've never heard anything other than the "must of."

You'd probably freak out at "lookit" as in "look it that."
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

the extention would probably be "look at" actually. The reason it sounds like lookit, is because you are contracting the 'a' sound to shorten or soften the word.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

phOnYmIkE wrote:yes it's impossible
Fucking lies

Cleared mayhem after roughly 7 monthes way back then on PC.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Arminius

Post by Arminius »

Snark wrote:
byuu wrote:Well, Cameltry was pretty damn easy to beat. And this is coming from a guy who sucks at games.

In the US version (and I suppose Japanese as well, but I haven't tried yet) there's actually 4 "worlds". So the first "very hard mode" is only 1/4 of the total game
- I think many people would miss it because you have to enter a password that is given to you after you beat all difficulties...

edit: Passwords for fields 2-3-4

BIRTH Field 2
BUILD Field 3
SMILE Field 4

edit: and there are a bunch of passwords that gives access to harder modes apparently.

Slightly off topic, I got the Japanese Cameltry catridge, but weirdly enough, the mouse doesn't seem to work...I know it did with the US version. So either the Jp version doesn't support the mouse, or the US mouse is not compatible with Jp games.

edit 3: Japanese version doesn't seem to support the mouse after all. So the 'On the Ball' US version is much better.

I'm stuck somewhere around the third world, there is a stage where there is like no walls, and the screen is filled with 1000 bonus points. Argh, I just go falling forever and can't seem to do much. Great game though...

Well my favs are C Trigger, Bahamut Lagoon, Earthbound, Live-a-Live , Treasure of the Rudras( Kick-ass rpg), Seiken Densetsu 3 (same). Fighting games I like Fighters History, Battle Master, Battle Tycoon (different but great levelup system!), Shin Nekketsu Kouha (beat-em-up scroller), some like those.
[i][b]I am the third strongest mole in this cave.[/b][/i]
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

FirebrandX wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:
My dictionary says that the noun forms of must are
2. The quality or condition of being stale or musty.
3. The unfermented or fermenting juice expressed from fruit, especially grapes.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

blargg wrote:My dictionary says that the noun forms of must are
2. The quality or condition of being stale or musty.
3. The unfermented or fermenting juice expressed from fruit, especially grapes.
Genuinely wondering, isn't it a noun too when you write "it's a must !" ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Shin Megami Tensei doesn't deserve a 4. It deserves a 5.
Supernes
Rookie

Post by Supernes »

Grendel wrote:
hippieboy42 wrote:I must note that Legend of Zelda 3 (A Link to the Past) is, essentially, the best game made for the SNES.
Unfortunately, I passed this one up in my youth. I got the GBA port when it was released, but didn't think much of it at the time. It is sort of interesting, but I guess I had to experience it back in the golden days to have an appreciation for it.

As far as SNES is concerned, my favorites are probably:

Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World, as mentioned above - seriously, how do you beat five Mario games in one?! :P

Kirby Super Star - same reasons above. A whole lot of Kirby rolled into one release, and plenty of mini-games.

Kirby's Dream Land 3 - great platformer with lots of mini-games. Possibly my favorite type of platformer, as I loved solving all the puzzles and trying to win the affection of the NPCs. (and the neat cameos)

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - way ahead of its time. This game had some great features, and very colorful environments. I personally prefer the GBA port, though. I think the graphics look much nicer at a smaller resolution, plus it had the bonus levels exclusive to the GBA release.

Star Ocean - it would be a great RPG if it would just work most of the time. I also think this is one of those "ahead of its time" games, considering how face-paced the battles are. Pretty much everything about it is nice.
Your forgetting

Chrono trigger

final fantasy III/VI

Final fantasy II/IV

Kirby superstar

mortal kombat 2

Street fighter 2 turbo hyperfighting

super street fighter II the new challengers

Wild Guns

Doom

Killer instinct

F- zero

donkey kong country

donkey kong country 2 diddy's kong quest

Mega man x

mega man 7
and

Batman returns 8)
"My name is fortune lucky in war and nothing else."
-Metal Gear solid 2 substance
Xbox
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

Supernes wrote:a lot of nothing
Thread has not been posted to in more than a year.
You fail. Lurk more.
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Even worse since he's replying to a 2-year-old post.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

even worse, he's posting in a magus thread.
clessoulis
Regular

Re:

Post by clessoulis »

You're smoking fucking crack.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re:

Post by odditude »

TWO YEARS AGO...
Louis Cypher wrote:
Supernes wrote:a lot of nothing
Thread has not been posted to in more than a year.
You fail. Lurk more.
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Even worse since he's replying to a 2-year-old post.
kieran_ wrote:even worse, he's posting in a magus thread.
so guess what you get?
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Re: Best games for SNES

Post by badinsults »

Poor Magus`, whatever became of him?
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome