Best games for SNES

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Gonzo
Regular

Re: Best games for SNES

Post by Gonzo »

I'm assuming it involved too much buttar.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

That's advanture_of_sausage_link.
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

Legend of Zelda : Link to the Past? Hah, no! The best game for snes would have to be multiplayer. The best game has to be Hard Secret of Mana. Final Fantasy IV,V or VI would be 2nd respectively, depending on which one you liked. Bronze Medal would go to Front Mission : Gun Hazard as far as team up games go on the SNES.
Scarlett1RaS
Rookie

Post by Scarlett1RaS »

Hmm, I think I will give this a try. Of course there are games that everybody likes and knows very well like Contra 3, Super Mario World, and even Link To The Past. But... some of the lesser known gems include Smash TV, Metal Warriors, Aero Fighters, Aliens vs Predator, Ghost Chaser Densei, Super Double Dragon, Captain Commando (although much better on the arcades just like Aliens vs Predator), and even the Ninja Warriors.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Pretty sure SNES AvP was a totally different game than the arcade.

I'm unclear on if Ninja Warriors is a sequel to the arcade game, or a port of the arcade game. That determines how I feel about it being watered down.
The original arcade game was one of those crazy Taito 3-screen panorama cabs. Same hardware as the first entries in the far more famous Darius series. If it's a port, then a hacksaw's been taken to the game.
And I am perhaps more passionate about this than I should be for someone that doesn't know whether or not it's a port. But damn if I don't love those 3-tube monstrosities.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

never played on a 3-tube machine. but 2...

"welcome to DIE!"
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Ahhh, XMen...
See, this is what I miss about arcade supremacy. Crazy-ass batshit hardware, custom-designed for a specific game, with monitors stacked against mirrors to make giant displays, built around chairs with hydraulics to drop some tactile feedback into your ass... all this wacky stuff that's been lost in the need to make the game fit into a stock XStation pad(unless it's a music game).

Though apparently Darius is still being crazy.
http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=903&page=2#19049
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Scarlett1RaS
Rookie

Post by Scarlett1RaS »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Pretty sure SNES AvP was a totally different game than the arcade.

I'm unclear on if Ninja Warriors is a sequel to the arcade game, or a port of the arcade game. That determines how I feel about it being watered down.
The original arcade game was one of those crazy Taito 3-screen panorama cabs. Same hardware as the first entries in the far more famous Darius series. If it's a port, then a hacksaw's been taken to the game.
And I am perhaps more passionate about this than I should be for someone that doesn't know whether or not it's a port. But damn if I don't love those 3-tube monstrosities.
Thats right, AvP SNES/Arcade are different games. They did play similarly though. The Arcade was Capcoms treasured CPS-2 gem. Unfortunately I never got to playing it in the arcades because they never had it where I lived.

There were some SNES bootlegs on the arcade such as Final Fight 2 and Ghost Chaser Densei. The Final Fight 2 bootleg saw a tactical overhaul of how the game was actually played. A lot of the game remained the same but there were some differences in which the game was actually harder meaning a higher damage output. For example a lot of bosses could kill you in just 1-2 hits and this worked similarly for a lot of generic enemies you fought through different stages. A difficult bootleg for sure.

The Ninja Warriors gameplay was a lot different in the SNES version so it was a different game. Taito actually developed the arcade game and natsume worked on the snes game but it was still published by Taito. The actual arcade game saw ports to the Amiga, Atari ST, ZX Spectrum, C64, Amstrad CPC, TurboGraphics, and Mega-CD.

I think Ghost Chaser was the hardest beatemup the SNES ever had. It gave me more problems than any of the Final Fights combined and after a week I cleared it without losing a single life, pain in the ass. I'm not sure how the bootleg is for the arcades, have yet to try it like I have with FF 2.

X-Men, I love the arcade game. I also missed out on this back in the day because my local arcade never had the arcade cabinet. Unfortunately, I only have ever got to play it on mame and most recently xbox live. I remember it being tough but a lot of arcade games were like that. Armored Warriors for exampled is known for dispatching some of the best players :(
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Scarlett1RaS wrote: Thats right, AvP SNES/Arcade are different games. They did play similarly though. The Arcade was Capcoms treasured CPS-2 gem. Unfortunately I never got to playing it in the arcades because they never had it where I lived.
You were totally missing out.
Nothing says fun quite like a dude with a gun for an arm and a chick with a katana teaming up with a predator to rip a bunch of aliens apart.
X-Men, I love the arcade game. I also missed out on this back in the day because my local arcade never had the arcade cabinet. Unfortunately, I only have ever got to play it on mame and most recently xbox live. I remember it being tough but a lot of arcade games were like that. Armored Warriors for exampled is known for dispatching some of the best players :(
I saw the X-Men cab a few different places over the years, oddly enough.
Only ever saw the one Ninja Warriors cab, though.

Speaking of ridiculous screens, though...
http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=903&gid=19049#19049
Apparently Taito realized that Darius means, above all else, crazy large screens and got with the program.
I don't even know if the game's any good, but I want that cabinet.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Scarlett1RaS
Rookie

Post by Scarlett1RaS »

Yeah, these games don't really play the same way on mame as they did in the arcades. There are many differences depending on the game, and the most obvious being the frame delays. I have played mars matrix in the arcades and it plays so much better than on regular MAME. But... I loaded up shmupmame which aims towards lagless input delay for shoot 'em ups and there is such a noticeable difference, it is like playing in the real arcades all over again.

I wish I had the money to invest in a lot of PCB/JAMMA and even MVS neo geo cartridges but their just far to expensive for what I'm willing to pay. Next best thing... mame cabinet.

To bad a lot of arcade games never got the SNES console port treatment. I would liked to of played Nam-1975 on the SNES (not everybody owned the Neo Geo CD).
Vercetti87

Post by Vercetti87 »

Very interesting post, I have played some games you posted.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Chrono Trigger, FF6 and FF4(especially the retranslations) are my 3 favorite games of all time, not just SNES games. Also it sucks that X-Men arcade never got any console releases but MAME emulates it really well as well as AVP and other CPS2 classics. I think X-Men could've been pulled off on the SNES and Genesis if they cut about 1/2 of the animation frames(especially explosions). X-Men was one of the most popular cabinets back in the 90s at our local arcade and the voice overs are fucking hilarious.

Anyone who hasn't played Doctor L's retranslation of Chrono Trigger is missing out because it corrects a lot of grammatical & spelling errors from the Chrono Compendium RT and it's the best localization I know of; it's less censored than the DS version. The mystics(fiends in the DS CT) are actually called demons for example. RPGOne's FF6 translation of the actual Japanese ROM is awesome and imo vastly superior to the GBA one. My main problem with FF6 GBA is all the slowdown during spell animations. The J2E FF4 RT(the 10th anniversary one) is my personal favorite, especially Cid's personality.

VERY late edit: To clarify, you can't really compare the quality of the RPGOne FF6j patch to the Doctor L CT or J2e FF4j translations. The RPGOne FF6 patch is very rough/blunt compared to the latter 2 even though I'm enjoying it as a new interpretation of FF6. If I didn't know better, I'd think J2e's FF4 hack & the DR. L CT hacks were done by large teams of highly trained professionals. The dialogue just flows so naturally in those 2 hacks.

My dream version of FF6 would be the SNES version with the GBA translation using the FF3US font. With me being so used to the SNES version, the framerate issues in the GBA version bug the shit out of me.
Dr4xx3n89
Rookie

what is your Favorites Snes Roms? :)

Post by Dr4xx3n89 »

what is your Favorites Snes Roms
mine is:
Actraiser
SoulBlazer
Metroid 3
Secret of Evermore
young Merlin
Ganpuru-Gunman's Proof (u must play is Awesome Rom is like a zelda game with Guns)
Ilusion of gaia
Adams family values (i was testing it and damn zsnes 151 stopped running it :x
Robotrek (this Rom is made of Gold) :shock:
Earthbound
Neugier(is very cool til you start to die )
oh i for got if you have a lot of emulator and folder, that you use frequently use this open source goodie is awesome is for open any program or folder directly from your desktop.
see the video but do not download the link in youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sFPn3JGfpo
this is the official site and it free.
http://zenkey.sourceforge.net/

im not responsible for extreme happiness,or any strange sucess.
Dr4xx3n89 was here
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Re: what is your Favorites Snes Roms? :)

Post by badinsults »

They're called "games" not "Roms".
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Yuber
Trooper

Re: what is your Favorites Snes Roms? :)

Post by Yuber »

Final Fantasy 4-6: 6 is one of my favorite games, 2nd only to the game directly below. 4 is an absolute classic that set the standard for JRPGs at the time, and 5, while not as strong story-wise imo, is a damn fun game with a shit ton of customization. The SNES versions of 5 and 6 are still the best versions; the GBA releases have shit sound and way too much slowdown, especially 6.

Chrono Trigger: My favorite game of all time, especially the Doctor L re-translation patch. The DS version is a fantastic port with an enhanced translation as well.

Terranigma: It's a badass action RPG with a very engaging story. Do yourself a favor and play it if you haven't already.

Super Metroid: A near perfect action/adventure platformer with an amazing atmosphere and tons of secrets. The boss fights are phenomenal.

Super Mario World and Yoshi's island: 2 top notch platformers; I prefer the 1st SMW. SMW was my first SNES game and the sound really blew me away.

Mega Man X: The 1st one is still my favorite, great action platformer with fantastic gameplay

Secret of Mana One of my favorite action RPGs. I put a shit ton of hours into this game as a kid.

Seiken Densetsu 3/SOM2: Better than SOM1, tons of different scenarios, multiple endings, excellent gameplay etc. This game needs to be translated and released as a downloadable title; it's a classic.

Link to the Past My favorite Zelda game and my favorite action adventure game. One of the best games of all time.

StarFox My 2nd favorite rail shooter; StarFox 64 is better, but the graphics blew me away when this game was first released. You can find Star Fox 2 as well in a near-perfect beta form.

Donkey Kong Country 2 1st one was great, but 2 is the one that stands out to me. 3 was good too, but the 2nd one is the best.

Super Mario RPG: A fun, engaging classic that was really revolutionary in concept at the time. Nintendo and OG Squaresoft really created a special game here and I played the shit out of SMRPG as a kid. I have nothing negative to say about this game and everyone should play it.

This list is already too long, but the SNES was an absolute beast of a system that had one of the best game libraries ever. After the disappointment that was Mortal Kombat 1, it felt so good to get the best version of MK2 outside of the arcade version. Street Fighter 2 would be on the list, but I'm listing exclusives only. I actually prefer the Genesis version of SF2 Hyper Fighting because it has less slowdown/better gameplay. Earthbound would be on there, but it's on my backlog and I've only played a bit of it. I'm sure I missed a lot of games but this post is already damn long. The SNES will always be my favorite system because it has my 2 favorite games along with a countless number of classics.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Why does everyone talk about Terranigma, but no one ever shows love for Illusion of Gaia? Is it the trademark Enix US translation holding it back?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Why does everyone talk about Terranigma, but no one ever shows love for Illusion of Gaia? Is it the trademark Enix US translation holding it back?
Y'know, personally I think IoG's by far the worst game of the trilogy, despite having replayed it a good 3 or 4 times, grabbing everything in the replays, missed some red jewels in my first game through - specifically, missing those 3. From the SAME FUCKING NPC in the fucking mines. I mean what the fuck was up with that. Only place in the game with several jewels in the same spot, almost as if they put all the others in typical places and then had 3 of them left and went "ok let's just put them all in that one guy in a fucking hidden wall thing to fuck with them".
Compared to the others, its world is not as interesting, and some of the stuff you had to do was just plain boring (this coming from someone who always levelled to 50 in soul blazer with an afternoon of farming those 12k exp thingies).
Ok, so some stages were pretty interesting (looking at you sky garden), but it doesn't make up for the negatives.

And the scenario is the worst of all three, as well. You end up caring a decent amount about Lisa in SB or Elle in Terranigma, but fuck if I gave a single shit about either Lily or princess whatsherface Fio... something ? The scene on the raft was so fucking terrible. How did it go already ?
"I started to develop feelings for her." ? Fuck no. Throw her to the sharks already and die from scorbut like a man, you pussy.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I admit it's the only of the three I've played, but I think it's a decent game dragged down by a TERRIBLE translation.

Also, you kill a pair of vampires by beating them to death with a flute. That's hardcore.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I admit it's the only of the three I've played, but I think it's a decent game dragged down by a TERRIBLE translation.
Go play the others right the fuck now, dammit. It is a decent game, but they are just better.
Also, you kill a pair of vampires by beating them to death with a flute. That's hardcore.
>not keeping freedan for the vampire battle
huehuehue mu got you confuzzled ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:I admit it's the only of the three I've played, but I think it's a decent game dragged down by a TERRIBLE translation.
Go play the others right the fuck now, dammit. It is a decent game, but they are just better.
>not keeping freedan for the vampire battle
huehuehue mu got you confuzzled ?
Eh, the Freedan route was too much of a pain. And dammit, I have a slide kick, I wanna use it!

I've done it both ways, but last run was with the power of music!
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Dr4xx3n89
Rookie

Post by Dr4xx3n89 »

Magus` wrote:Legend -

M - Magus` J - Joe B - BaD.BoY X - Metatron A - Agozer AoL - Adventure of Link

Ranking from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the best game(s) ever, 1 being utter shit. Instead of N for no ranking, if a person hasn't ranked a game, I just won't put them under that game. Much easier that way. A game with a ( * ) beind it, * being a name/letters, means the game is translated by said group.

RPGS -
7th Saga, The
B - 4
Arcana
B - 4
Bahamut Lagoon
M - 3 B - 5
Breath of Fire
M - 4 X - 3
Breath of Fire 2
M - 5 B - 4.5 X - 4
Chrono Trigger
M - 5 J - 5 B - 5 X - 5 AoL - 5
Dual Orb 2 (Nightcrawler)
M - 3 J - 3 X - 3
Earthbound
M - 5 J - 5 B - 5 X - 4 AoL - 4
Final Fantasy 4JAP/2US
M - 3 J - 4 X - 4 AoL - 4.5
Final Fantasy 5JAP
M - 4 J - 5 X - 3 AoL - 4
Final Fantasy 6JAP/3US
M - 5 J - 4 B - 5 X - 5 AoL - 5
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
M - 2 J - 2 X - 2.5 AoL - 3
Fire Emblem 4 - Seisen no Keifu
B - 4.5
Fire Emblem 5 - Thracia 776
B - 5
Front Mission
B - 5
Illusion of Gaia
M - 4 J - 4 X - 3 AoL - 4.5
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom
X - 3.5
Lufia II - Rise of the Sinistrals
M - 4 X - 4.5
Romancing SaGa 3
A - 4
Secret of Evermore
M - 5 J - 4 B - 4.5 X - 5
Secret of Mana
M - 5 J - 4 X - 4
Seiken Densetsu 3
M - 5 J - 4 A- 5
Shin Megami Tensei I
A- 4
Shin Megami Tensei II
A - 4
Star Ocean
J - 4 B - 5 AoL - 4
Super Mario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars
M - 5 J - 5 A - 5 X - 4.5 AoL - 5
Tales of Phantasia
M - 3 J - 4 B - 5 A - 5 AoL - 5
Terranigma
M - 4 J - 5 A - 4
Treasure Hunter G
A - 4
Treasure of the Rudras (AGTP)
M - 3 J - 3 X - 2 AoL - 4

Action/Adventure -
ActRaiser
B - 4
ActRaiser 2
B - 4
Ardy Lightfoot
B - 4.5
Blackthorne / Blackhawk
B - 3.5
Castlevania: Dracula X
J - 4 B - 4 X - 4
Cybernator / Assault Suits Valken (AGTP)
J - 5 B - 5 X - 3 A - 4
Demon's Crest
B - 3.5 X - 4
Donkey Kong Country 1
B - 4.5 A - 5 AoL - 5
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest
B - 4.5 A - 4
Donkey Kong Country 3 - Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
B - 5 A - 4
Earthworm Jim
M - 4 J - 4 B - 4
Earthworm Jim 2
M - 4 J - 3 B - 4.5
Final Fight 3
B - 4
Front Mission: Gun Hazard (AGTP)
J - 4 B - 4 X - 3 A - 4
Gundam Wing - Endless Dual
A - 5
King of Demons (AGTP)
J - 4 X - 3
Kirby's Dreamland 3
A - 5 AoL - 3.5
Kirby's Super Star
M - 4 A - 4 AoL - 5
Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past
M - 5 J - 5 B - 5 X - 5 A - 5 AoL - 5
Megaman 7
M - 3 J - 4 X - 3
Megaman & Bass (AGTP)
M - 3 J - 3 B - 5 X - 4 A - 4 AoL - 5
Megaman X
M - 4 J - 5 B - 4 X - 4 A - 4 AoL - 5
Megaman X2
M - 4 J - 4 B - 4 X - 4 A - 4 AoL - 4
Megaman X3
M - 5 J - 4 B - 4 X - 4.5 A - 4 AoL - 5
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
A - 3
Pocky and Rocky 2
A - 3
Psycho Dream
B - 4
Super Castlevania IV
J - 4 X - 4
Super Contra III - The Alien Wars
J - 5 X - 3
Super Metroid
M - 5 J - 4 B - 5 X - 5 A - 4 AoL - 4.5
X-Men: Mutant Apocalpyse
A - 4

Platformers -
Super Mario All-Stars
M - 3 J - 5 B - 4 X - 4 A - 5 AoL - 4
Super Mario World
M - 5 J - 5 B - 5 X - 5 AoL - 5
Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island
M - 5 J - 5 B - 5 X - 4 AoL - 5

Puzzle -
Tetris Attack
J - 5 A - 5 AoL - 5

Fighting -
Killer Instinct
B - 5
Ring ni Kakero
B - 4
Street Fighter Alpha
B - 5
Street Fighter II
B - 5
Street Fighter II Turbo - Hyper Fighting
B - 4
Teenage Mutant Turtles IV - Turtles in Time
X - 3.5 A - 5

Racing
F-Zero
M - 3 AoL - 4
Rock 'N Roll Racing
B - 5
Super Mario Kart
B - 5 AoL - 5
Top-Gear 3000
B - 4 AoL - 5

Shooter
Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius
B - 5
Parodius da! - Shinwa Kara Owarai he
B - 5

Strategy
Harvest Moon
B - 5
Lost Vikings 1
B - 4
Lost Vikings 2
B - 4

?
Umihara Kawase
A - 5

this list will be downloaded and the roms will be collected muhahah
Dr4xx3n89 was here
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

grinvader wrote:And the scenario is the worst of all three, as well. You end up caring a decent amount about Lisa in SB or Elle in Terranigma, but fuck if I gave a single shit about either Lilly or princess whatsherface Fio... something ? The scene on the raft was so fucking terrible. How did it go already ?
fixed @ bold

That said:
* you get stranded and eat the yak leg
* the princess (Kara, or Karen if you try to leave Edward's Castle without the Yak leg) bitches at you over hitting the fish and Will gets pissed
* a note in a bottle comes floating to them and they read it. Kara whines about rescued and Will's pissed off goes into maximum overdrive
* a week has passed and Will is super hungry (funny, his HP goes to near zero by this point even if you eat a herb a day) and beats the shit out of fish with the power of music (or glowing green fist dashes if you prefer) till your HP goes to full (funny thing also, the first week is the only time Will's HP goes down, EVER, somehow his HP seems to stay full till your rescuing), then Kara FINALLY gives into the fish
* Kara and Will wish upon the new Cygnus star and starts to develop feelings for her, despite five days ago being maximum overdrive pissed
* Then there's a "shark attack" but isn't so because they're not hungry
* Finally, they see a pretty sunset and Will collapses due to scurvy and in the process is somehow rescued
Gil_Hamilton wrote:I've done it both ways, but last run was with the power of music!
Dammit, I ALWAYS use the power of music on ALL the bosses, but the mummy queen is a BITCH due to Will whittling a whole whopping ONE HP off bosses despite strength level and she splits into ghosts upon being hit.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

>tackling the mummy with a character thrice weaker than you can
sweet potato why would anyone be interested in doing that, at least pulling will for the vampires makes you save time elsewhere
here you go out of your way to disable shadow, then you spend a fucking hour on the boss
皆黙って俺について来い!!

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

grinvader wrote:>tackling the mummy with a character thrice weaker than you can
sweet potato why would anyone be interested in doing that, at least pulling will for the vampires makes you save time elsewhere
here you go out of your way to disable shadow, then you spend a fucking hour on the boss
If anything, it's just the challenge aspect...

Will VS Mummy Queen!
*folds arms* Challenge Accepted.
Some time later... You've defeated the mummy queen! Look! A Mystic Statue!!!

And now you can say you're a badass.. :P Besides, you get to boss rush all the bosses as Shadow shortly afterwards in the tower of babel anyway, so why not?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I haven't played the original Soul Blazer, but as far as Gaia goes, I just forgot to add it even though I think Terranigma is a much better game overall. It's been so long since I've played Gaia that I don't even remember the story aside from a bit of the ending, and even that I don't remember how it all unfolded. I love the gameplay and transformations though. I always laughed at the grandiose music that played when you got the super delicious Godly leg of yak. I never gave a shit about Kara either(annoyed me), but it's a fun game and that's what matters. Terranigma has both great gameplay and a really cool story.

Nice to see that CT and FF6 got perfect scores. I wouldn't give FF4 a 3 though; it's not perfect but I'd give it a 4 or 4.5 at most since it was 1991. FF6 apparently took only a year to complete and you can kinda tell since the original is so buggy and a lot of the dungeons are generic caves, but it's still an absolute masterpiece with some of my favorite game characters. I'm guessing the WoR opening up was due to time constraints. It does have plenty of interesting content but I wish there was a bit more story during the 2nd half of the game.