Need Help, Badly.

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Tsukasa
Rookie

Need Help, Badly.

Post by Tsukasa »

Hey; I was playing chrono trigger on ZSNES and just resurrected crono and talked to him at the end of time; my screen then went black and i pressed f2 to save; i waited about 5 minutes and it's still black. Is my saved game messed now? also i found a game save and its called chrono.srm, but i dunno how to use it; could someone help me? thanks :)!
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

That's the in-game save file. If you haven't use the save points in the game.
Your savestate is pretty much screwed.

Savestate using is only encourage in special cases. Use the in-game saves as much as you can.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Tsukasa
Rookie

Post by Tsukasa »

ok thanks!...but what do ido with the chrono.srm file? how do i use it?
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

... You open the game, and load the game from the loading screen in-game? :?
Tsukasa
Rookie

Post by Tsukasa »

Ok, I opened trhe main chrono trigger game; but their was no saved game that I could choose from. I then clicked load then i click chrono.srm; and it was just a black screen. How do I properly open this saved game? ty in advance.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

If there is *no* game in the loading game screen in-game... It means you haven't saved in-game.

You are screwed. I hope you didn't use only *one* savestate.

Nex time, try saving in-game once in a while.
Tsukasa
Rookie

Post by Tsukasa »

i saved the game the real way. but the other save file that i downloaded chrono.srm isn't there; do i have to load it or something?
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

Name the .srm the same as your rom, for example if your rom name is:

Chrono Trigger.sfc

then your save file should be:

Chrono Trigger.srm
~Bent
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Just to clear a few things up, in case there's any doubt: Do not try tho load a game's SRAM (.srm files), that does not work. That is not the same as the game itself.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Tsukasa
Rookie

Post by Tsukasa »

I renamed the save file to match the name of the actual game; but it said could not change name because another file already has the exact same name. So then I named my main file Chrono.sfc; and the saved file Chrono.srm and it still didn't work :(, what am I doing wrong?
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Rename the old SRM file, eg. by putting a _ in front of the name.
Then restore the other file names.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Tsukasa
Rookie

Post by Tsukasa »

what do you mean by restore the file names? also if someone has msn maybe they could help me there instead of me posting so much here.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Windows told you that there was another file with the same name, because you went and changed the filename, along with it's extension, which you shouldn't do. Never touch extensions unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Just make sure that the filenames match. Extensions cannot match and do not have to match.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

As others have said: the names of the ROM file (typical extension is .SMC) and the save-ram file (extension .SRM) must be identical.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

creaothceann wrote:As others have said: the names of the ROM file (typical extension is .SMC) and the save-ram file (extension .SRM) must be identical.
What he said.

Ex. Super Mario World (U).smc
Super Mario World (U).srm
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Tsukasa
Rookie

Post by Tsukasa »

Ok I understand what you guys are saying; my main chrono trigger game was called Chrono Trigger (US); so i renamed the save file Chrono Trigger (US).srm. now i got into the game, saved the restarted the game; but the only save file was the one I just created (e.g. i went outside the house and saved the RIGHT way [not using the f2 button] and there's only 1 save file there, not the Chrono Trigger (US).srm file). Does the save file have to be in a different directory or something? The other 2 empty files on the open saved game screen say no data.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

I think you still don't get it, if you didn't use the in-game saves before, the save is lost. You will have to start again. If you "downloaded" a .srm from another place, it won't have your files.

If you downloaded and replaced the .srm file with another, the old one is lost.

If you had used the in-game saving in the first place, you wouldn't need to rename the file, or "download" another .srm, because it would be created with the rom's name on the first place, unless you redownload the game, but that's something quite weird to do in this case.

If you had used the in-game saves, you would have just open the game, and choose one of the three files, if it wasn't there (the in-game save) the first time, it isn't going to appear again.

Now, unless there is something I don't get from your posts, that's the situation, unless you explain every step of all the stuff you did, because it's quite weird that you need to change the name of the .srm file from a game that had *already* a .srm file, with the in-game saves.
Tsukasa
Rookie

Post by Tsukasa »

Ok I shall explain in a step by step list. I know my old game is lost because i saved at a black screen. Right now I want the saved game file i downloaded to work.

1. I downloaded a saved game from another website called Chrono.srm (It has level 99 chars etc.)
2. My main game file is called Chrono Trigger (US) [When I open the emulator, i click the file to launch the game].
3. I then started the game; and saved at a "save point" instead of pressing F2 (So now when I open the game it gives me a list of 1 of 3 saved games. It has a save file called millenium fair which i can choose and my character will start there).
4. after saving i zipped the new save file (Chrono.srm) to the same folder as my Chrono Trigger (US) Rom.
5. I then named the Chrono.srm file "Chrono Trigger (US).srm"
6. So the two files beside each other read "Chrono Trigger (US)<--The Rom; and "Chrono Trigger (US).srm"<-- The save file.
7. So I opened up my ZSNES Emulator again and went to the main screen; hoping to see that the New save file (99 chars etc.) was there.
8. But the only save file that is there is the save file that i saved at the millenial fair (the one where I didn't press f2).

So I just need to know; how do I make the Chrono Trigger (US).srm my new save file so I can play that file and have 99 stuff; because the only save file that is there is the millenial fair one. I hope this explains my problem lol.
I download the save game file from http://patpend.net/savegame/snes-srm.shtml It's the fifth file from the top that says "Chrono Trigger (3)", it's a zip file.
Thanks
Last edited by Tsukasa on Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

4. after saving i zipped the new save file (Chrono.srm) to the same folder as my Chrono Trigger (US) Rom.
Why do you zip it and then rename it?
Don't zip it, just rename the plain .srm file as your rom, place it at the same place as your rom.
Tsukasa
Rookie

Post by Tsukasa »

Joe Camacho wrote:
Don't zip it, just rename the plain .srm file as your rom, place it at the same place as your rom.
I have to zip it because I downloaded it from a site and it was a .zip file. If I don't zip it; I cant get the .srm file that's inside. check my upper post, thats where i got the file from.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Tsukasa wrote:
Joe Camacho wrote:
I have to zip it because I downloaded it from a site and it was a .zip file. If I don't zip it; I cant get the .srm file that's inside. check my upper post, thats where i got the file from.
Unzip it... THEN rename it.
Tsukasa
Rookie

Post by Tsukasa »

I renamed it, didn't work :( , could it be because it's in the directory "my documents"? i have the main game; the zsnes loader and the .srm file in the same folder; the .srm file is named the same as the game file itself and when i load the game there is still only 1 file there; and it's not the lvl 99 .srm file...I have no idea what I'm doing wrong because I've followed everyone's directions exactly.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Try this, just for shits and giggles if nothing else:

1. Extract ZSNES into a new folder, like C:\Zsnes.
2. Put your Chono Trigger rom image into the same folder, and rename the file to chrono.[whatever the extension is].
3. Put the save file into the same directory and rename it chrono.srm
4. Start ZSNES and load Chrono Trigger.
Last edited by Agozer on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Tsukasa wrote:...I have no idea what I'm doing wrong because I've followed everyone's directions exactly.
Just... Ah, forget it. Follow Agozer's advice.
Tsukasa
Rookie

Post by Tsukasa »

Agozer wrote:Try this, just for shits and giggles if nothing else:

1. Extract ZSNES into a new folder, like C:\Zsnes.
2. Put your Chono Trigger rom image into the same folder, and rename the file to chrono.[whatever the extension is].
3. Put the save file into the same directory and rename it chrono.srm
4. Start ZSNES and load Chrono Trigger.
I have to save in game first by using a save spot and not pressing f2 right? then it should be one of the saved games at the load game screen?