Need help with a SNES game...

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

paulguy
Zealot

Re: Need help with a SNES game...

Post by paulguy »

Well, good that we finally solved your problem 11 years later, and by the time you see this, i'll have been 15 years.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Best thread is best.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:Best thread is best.
++
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I remember reading about this game(vaguely) in old gaming magazines(didn't know it was an Amiga game though) and it looks like a cross between a bad Megaman ripoff and a failed attempt to simulate a shroom trip. It's one of those failed mascot games but it's not as bad as, say, Bubsy. It at least looks playable judging by its physics(skimmed a longplay video). 11 years, 3 worlds.

Seriously though this guy is probably just busy, forgot about the game, and decided to load his old save state 11 years later.

edit: when Zool gets hit, he kinda sounds like Wario taking a shit
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Zool was actually a fairly popular platformer at least in Europe during the Amiga haydays. The fact that it endorsed the Chupa Chups lollipop brand was just icing on the cake.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I like how any platformer with a character in it is a "mascot game" now.
Mario's been a bad influence on people, that filthy child-murdering slaver!
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

It's not really that characters in 2d platformers are automatically trying to be mascots, but back in the early-mid 90s,(Zool was released on the Amiga in '92) pretty much every company was trying to create a mascot that would represent their image, hence why I made that comment. While I haven't played it yet, the art just isn't my thing(it's like the artists played candyland while they were REALLY high) although the physics and general gameplay look pretty solid.

The sound Zool makes when he gets hit is still hilarious though. It's like he's grunting on the toilet after eating some really spicy curry or something, but admittedly I have a very immature sense of humor.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Yuber wrote:pretty much every company was trying to create a mascot that would represent their image
NEVAR FORGET
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I actually enjoy that game as embarrassing as it is to admit that, but it's a pretty solid little platformer. The fact that I'm playing a commercial is a little jarring but I played it quite a bit when I was in grade school. Didn't make me crave 7UP though, even as a kid. 2nd game was ass.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

grinvader wrote:
Yuber wrote:pretty much every company was trying to create a mascot that would represent their image
NEVAR FORGET
"What's that red thing supposed to be, an M&M?"
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Too much 'tude to take in all at once...system overload

The Sugar Ray Robinson of 'tude. Bubsy's super sweet 90s 'tude will charm you simple minded plebes like the cattle you are; he's a true maverick! ❤~*Best pixel 4 pixel nigga, undefeated*~❤
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Oh god, Bubsy 3D. Dem flat-shaded polygons.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

and people think Superman 64 is bad. Bubsy 3d is a serious contender for the worst game of all time but I think the awful graphics, shit controls and retarded main character simply take 90s 'tude to the next level, telling the players themselves to choke on a bag of dicks. Brilliant!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:and people think Superman 64 is bad. Bubsy 3d is a serious contender for the worst game of all time but I think the awful graphics, shit controls and retarded main character simply take 90s 'tude to the next level, telling the players themselves to choke on a bag of dicks. Brilliant!
It can't be the worst game of all time. It isn't on the RCA Studio II. :P

I mean, let's be honest here. I can find nice things to say about the 32x. I genuinely LIKE the Jaguar. I can even be charitably good-natured towards the 3DOhno.
If I can't find anything nice to say about a system, you KNOW it's bad. And, well... I've yet to find the silver lining in the Studio II.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I know nothing about the RCA studio 2 so I can't really comment, but the 32x actually got a half decent, albeit visually compromised port of Virtua Fighter. I think it was even less buggy than the initial buggy ass SS release. MK2 could've been so much better but Probe sucked balls and released a half-assed port that was arguably inferior to the SNES port. SNES MK2 did have a tiny bit of slowdown though, which is noticable if you play the arcade version in MAME and compare it to the SNES version.(when you jump kick someone, the blood flying creates some slowdown)

I've always wondered if the SNES would've been technically capable of producing a decent port of VF1 using the SuperFX2 chip, but even then I assume it would be inferior to the 32x version. The accelerators did produce some amazing effects, namely in Yoshi's Island & Star Fox.(along with MMX2-3 and SFA2) The SA-1 chip was pretty impressive as well; it fixed the achilles' heel of the SNES which was its slow ass processor and allowed other effects I don't know about. I have way too much caffeine in my system atm but some of the games that used accelerator chips looked like very early PSX or Saturn games, although the 32x is probably a more fair comparison.

How about the Apple Bandai Pippin? $600 paperweight. the RCA S2 looks like a wonky ass keyboard with a cart slot in the middle(lol built in controller)

edit: I think the fact that the RCA SII came out in early 1977 makes it more defensible, but I'm not old enough to have been alive during its release. Born in '84.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

The best looking games on the SNES such as DKC1-3, CT or SD3 used no co-processors at all.

Special chips were great for specific effects and 3D, but had very little to do with image quality. Hell, one of the most impressive effects I've ever seen was 4-player-splitscreen mode 7, in Street Racer, which used no special chips. Although I realize that may actually be very simple to achieve.

Speaking of Street Racer, I never knew that game had a Genesis port too... which used the oldtimey warping-road effect for lack of actual mode 7 surfaces to ride around on. That's pretty interesting. I wonder how the different versions were reviewed at the time.

Also I'm sad nobody got my 7-up joke. :(
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Good point. The DKC gamess all look amazing(especially 2, and I agree on the others as well) and they surprisingly don't use accelerators at all, but I was speculating about what the SNES could do if it was pushed to its absolute limits WITH an accelerator chip, whether it be the SA-1, SFX1-2, DSP1-4, Capcom's custom chips or some of the lesser known ones. I'm just curious what the SNES could do today with modern programming knowledge and, say, the SuperFX2 chip or even a new custom chip. I don't know shit about hardware in general but the various SNES enhancement chips are very interesting. Same goes for Sega's "Sega Virtua Processor" used in the genesis Virtua Racing conversion which runs at a pretty impressive framerate all things considered.

Sorry I didn't get the joke but I try to ignore advertising in general, although I realize playing Cool Spot in the 90s contradicts that statement. It's kind of a fun game. Nothing spectacular but solid with nice animation in both the Genesis and SNES versions. I'm not a fan of the sugar water it advertises though; I'm trying to eat healthy and get back in shape and soft drinks are just empty calories with no protein.

Who needs steroids when you're walking talking boners who shoot "protein pellets" at their enemies? Looks like the guy in the background used some of his "protein pellets" to fertilize his "buddy's" flowers ♥! Only thing missing is Michael Bolton playing in the background!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:I know nothing about the RCA studio 2 so I can't really comment, but the 32x actually got a half decent, albeit visually compromised port of Virtua Fighter. I think it was even less buggy than the initial buggy ass SS release. MK2 could've been so much better but Probe sucked balls and released a half-assed port that was arguably inferior to the SNES port. SNES MK2 did have a tiny bit of slowdown though, which is noticable if you play the arcade version in MAME and compare it to the SNES version.(when you jump kick someone, the blood flying creates some slowdown)

I've always wondered if the SNES would've been technically capable of producing a decent port of VF1 using the SuperFX2 chip, but even then I assume it would be inferior to the 32x version. The accelerators did produce some amazing effects, namely in Yoshi's Island & Star Fox.(along with MMX2-3 and SFA2) The SA-1 chip was pretty impressive as well; it fixed the achilles' heel of the SNES which was its slow ass processor and allowed other effects I don't know about. I have way too much caffeine in my system atm but some of the games that used accelerator chips looked like very early PSX or Saturn games, although the 32x is probably a more fair comparison.

How about the Apple Bandai Pippin? $600 paperweight. the RCA S2 looks like a wonky ass keyboard with a cart slot in the middle(lol built in controller)

edit: I think the fact that the RCA SII came out in early 1977 makes it more defensible, but I'm not old enough to have been alive during its release. Born in '84.
Studio II WOULD be defensible as an extension of dedicated Pong units, except 1. phone pads as sole input, and 2. it laulched after Fairchild's Channel F, which was higher resolution, had more than two "colors", and had hand controllers(three-axis ones at that!). The Channel F was obsoleted almost immediately when Atari's Video Computer System came out about six months later. The three systems put together serve well as a demonstration of how fast technology was changing at the time.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

So basically it was just a rushed cash grab with no substance to put it simply? I have no fucking idea how one could even use that "controller" with any sort of precision.(probably can't)

I've been trying to find the launch price but the only result I've found was Giantbomb which states it was $149 but I don't know if that's accurate. The Pippin was $599 and it came out around the same time the PSX & Saturn did('96 in the US I think) was seriously underpowered, had no good games(afaik) and was fucking $600. They're both ass but that massive pricetag may make the pippin the smelly corn chunk on top of shit mountain. Then again there have been so many failed consoles that it's hard to say which one sucked the most. RCA Studio II didn't even really have a controller though because that fucking phone pad/keyboard thing doesn't even count.

I'd still love to know if the SNES would've been technically capable of producing a half decent port of Virtua Fighter 1 or Virtua Racing. I'm guessing it could've done VR with the SFX2 chip; an SFX1 version would probably have some serious framerate issues ala Stunt Race FX. I'm still amazed it got a playable port of SFA2, albeit a shitty one compared to the PSX/Saturn versions(especially the Saturn) but it took balls to even attempt to port it to the SNES. The music is awful and the load times are in weird spots, but it's perfectly playable, super moves included.

Really, I just want this thread to keep going. It's been off the rails for a while now and this forum needs some action.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:So basically it was just a rushed cash grab with no substance to put it simply? I have no fucking idea how one could even use that "controller" with any sort of precision.(probably can't)
Honestly? I don't even think it was rushed. I suspect RCA started development BEFORE the Channel F. Cash grab is totally appropriate, though. As is "lack of market research"
I've been trying to find the launch price but the only result I've found was Giantbomb which states it was $149 but I don't know if that's accurate.
It sounds right for the era.
Remember, inflation's a bitch.
The Pippin was $599 and it came out around the same time the PSX & Saturn did('96 in the US I think) was seriously underpowered, had no good games(afaik) and was fucking $600. They're both ass but that massive pricetag may make the pippin the smelly corn chunk on top of shit mountain.
I know about the Pippin. Apple's first set-top box and last game console.
The price was fairly common at the time for "next-gen" systems. The 3DO was priced like that, the Amiga CDTV was priced like that. It was super ultra big news when the Saturn's US launch was going to be ONLY 400 dollars... for about thirty minutes. Then the PS1 launch price was set at 300. Both systems had significantly higher prices at their initial launch in Japan(Looks like around 500 and 400 bucks, respectively).

The Pippin had a few problems, including lack of support from Apple(Bandai did all the marketing, and had no idea what they were doing), and landing a bit too early to enjoy the PC and internet's rises to mainstream popularity.
It was designed to be a living room computer, games were just it's primary purpose. And no one was sure why you wanted a computer. Or internet.
People were still calling it "the information superhighway" at the time, for pete's sake. (Adding internet support drove the price up significantly, incidentally, as it led to the Pippin being changed from a 68030-based machine to a PowerPC one).
Of course, it's biggest problem was Steve Jobs returning to Apple and shutting down all Mac clone projects, which included the Pippin. It never had a chance to carve out a niche before it was decapitated(make no mistake, it would've STAYED a niche).

It really doesn't look underpowered to me, in all honesty. Hell, it had a 4x CD-ROM. Saturn and PS1 both had 2x drives.
Especially as going forward, I can see software CDs carrying a trimmed-down version of the OS instead of a full OS, which results in more RAM being available(and it had a lot of RAM, for the time).
Then again there have been so many failed consoles that it's hard to say which one sucked the most. RCA Studio II didn't even really have a controller though because that fucking phone pad/keyboard thing doesn't even count.
It's a controller. It's a terrible controller, but it's a controller. I mean, it's hard to argue it's not a device used to control the system.
But no, I feel confident in calling the Studio II the worst system of all time. If there's anyone that can love it, more power to them.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Man, you're full of info about old consoles. When I post I(mostly) try to just state what I know off the top of my head minus stuff like launch prices. I also didn't know the pippin had a 4x CD-rom which would've cut down considerably on the long ass load times the PSX & Saturn were infamous for. The only things I've heard about the pippin were from YT videos and maybe 2 minutes of research, so I suppose I was premature because looking at the specs it's actually fairly powerful. Fuck, I didn't realize the CPU was 2x as fast as the PSX AND it had a LOT more RAM(plus expansion support which is pretty cool) and that's just the beginning. I stand corrected after doing 3 more minutes of searching.

PSX specs Saturn specs

Yeah, the RCA SII is much much worse. I really shouldn't argue with you about technical specifications but I did learn some pretty cool stuff. Also, I need to literally research everything I hear on YT because people have built in biases and stereotypes when it comes to many of the "failed" systems(like people thinking the Sega CD only had shitty FMV games even though it has an awesome port of Final Fight, Snatcher, the Lunar games etc.)

Do you know anything about the pippin's 3D capabilities compared to the PSX, Saturn and N64? After actually looking at the specs the price makes a little more sense to me now since it was released well over 2 years before the Dreamcast. It was kinda like the 3DO from a timing perspective(too expensive/powerful for its time) but at least the 3DO got SSF2T, Samurai Showdown, Road Rash etc. Looking at it, I'm kinda surprised how much animation is missing in SSF2T, namely background animation, and all the sound is super compressed(to reduce loading times I assume). SS has compressed sound as well but the animation looks fairly solid.

On a side note, I was playing the arcade version of VF2 using the Model2 emu and that game has aged really really well, even at its native 640x480.(the SS version was a technical marvel imo despite having to sacrifice the 3d BGs) At 1920x1080 it's fucking beautiful despite the obviously aged geometry. VF2 blew me the fuck away in 1995(I think) when I first saw it at my local arcade and the M2 HW was absolutely beastly for its time. Wasn't it partially developed by Lockheed Martin?(same goes for Model 3 I believe)
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:Man, you're full of info about old consoles. When I post I(mostly) try to just state what I know off the top of my head minus stuff like launch prices. I also didn't know the pippin had a 4x CD-rom which would've cut down considerably on the long ass load times the PSX & Saturn were infamous for. The only things I've heard about the pippin were from YT videos and maybe 2 minutes of research, so I suppose I was premature because looking at the specs it's actually fairly powerful. Fuck, I didn't realize the CPU was 2x as fast as the PSX AND it had a LOT more RAM(plus expansion support which is pretty cool) and that's just the beginning. I stand corrected after doing 3 more minutes of searching.

PSX specs

Yeah, the RCA SII is much much worse. I really shouldn't argue with you about technical specifications but I did learn some pretty cool stuff. Also, I need to literally research everything I hear on YT because people have built in biases and stereotypes when it comes to many of the "failed" systems(like people thinking the Sega CD only had shitty FMV games even though it has an awesome port of Final Fight, Snatcher, the Lunar games etc.)
Yeah, YouTube is a terrible source of information.
Do you know anything about the pippin's 3D capabilities compared to the PSX, Saturn and N64?
I'm pretty sure the Pippin had no 3D acceleration. All 3D effects would've been done in software.
I COULD be wrong, but I'd be very surprised if I am.
After actually looking at the specs the price makes a little more sense to me now since it was released well over 2 years before the Dreamcast.
Especially given how much RAM is in it. RAM has historically been one of the more expensive things to add more of.
On a side note, I was playing the arcade version of VF2 using the Model2 emu and that game has aged really really well, even at its native 640x480. At 1920x1080 it's fucking beautiful despite the obviously aged geometry. VF2 blew me the fuck away in 1995(I think) when I first saw it and the M2 HW was absolutely beastly for its time. Wasn't it partially developed by Lockheed Martin?(same goes for Model 3 I think)
Martin Marietta in the case of the Model 2. The Lockheed merger didn't happen until later. And Martin supplied the texture-mapping technology, which had been developed for professional flight simulators. Apparently, it was re-implemented by Sega to get it down to an affordable price.

Model 3 used standard graphics accelerators from (post-merger)Lockheed Martin's Real3D division(anyone else remember that name?).

And just to confuse the issue further, Martin initially got into the market when they bought the flight simulator division from GE.
GE got into the market by developing simulators for the Apollo mission, of all things(apparently the first full-color 3D computer graphics anywhere on Earth).
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Martin Marietta in the case of the Model 2. The Lockheed merger didn't happen until later. And Martin supplied the texture-mapping technology, which had been developed for professional flight simulators. Apparently, it was re-implemented by Sega to get it down to an affordable price.

Model 3 used standard graphics accelerators from (post-merger)Lockheed Martin's Real3D division(anyone else remember that name?).

And just to confuse the issue further, Martin initially got into the market when they bought the flight simulator division from GE.
GE got into the market by developing simulators for the Apollo mission, of all things(apparently the first full-color 3D computer graphics anywhere on Earth).
Damn, that's a pretty convoluted history but at the same time, really fascinating. I'm not sure if you saw VF3 back in the day but there was an arcade not that far from me that got VF3(on a gigantic screen) soon after its release and the game blew my mind even more than VF2 did. I remember reading about it in gaming magazines back in 96 thinking the hype about its graphics had to be marketing bullshit, but it's another one of those games that still looks pretty nice today. It's a shame the DC, which is just slightly dumbed down NAOMI hardware, never received an arcade-perfect port of it since it could've obviously handled it. DOA2 and Soul Calibur blew it out of the water graphically, even though VF3 did have some pretty complex BGs.

I remember talking to you about the "Saturn port" of VF3 & wondering if those few supposed images of it are fake or not,(same goes for the videos of Shenmue) but I would've liked to see it just for curiosity's sake(would it have even been posible to port it in playable/recognizable form?) I assume it would require an expansion of some kind but unfortunately, the Saturn didn't last long enough to be pushed to its absolute limit, at least as far as I know. Underrated system with flawless ports of the first 2 Capcom VS games & SFZ3.(which is apparently superior to the DC port as well) The rest of the world deserved those awesome Capcom ports with the 4MB RAM cart, especially considering how shitty the PSX ports of those games were.(SFA3 was impressive for a PSX port)
PGN-X
Rookie

Post by PGN-X »

Okay all finished. Decent game overall, 3/5 there are better platformers, but it's not garbage either.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

PGN-X wrote:Okay all finished. Decent game overall, 3/5 there are better platformers, but it's not garbage either.
Amazing bump.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads