Yuber::thread.fork(SIGDERAIL);

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: ZSNES is not dead - Still in development

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

odditude wrote:that's just it. it looked like so much more than just a brain in the original; it looked biomechanical, like a mechanical life-vein.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Looking at the gif of MB, I see what you mean, but SM's MB was connected by a bunch of tube-like structures as well although the case wasn't nearly as intricate looking when it comes to the amount of different shit connecting her. IMO, the 2nd and 3rd stages make up for the slightly inferior cased MB design, and they added a much more pronounced face as well. If it weren't for the really good animation when she's disgustingly drooling all over the floor(plus stage 2-3 of the fight as a whole), I'd say the face kinda detracts from the design. If MB was dead after beating her 1st stage, I'd totally agree with you, but SM's final boss fight is one of my favorite last bosses ever.

Despite joking about its/her whatever design in original Metroid, it is pretty awesome in a disgusting way, and I'm guessing they were going for a disturbing, bio-mechanical abomination look. Metroid has cool art direction as a whole. I haven't played any of the Prime games, but from the videos I've watched of the series they have amazing art. Alien planets really free up what devs can create, and the Metroid series uses that artistic freedom brilliantly from what I've seen.

Unfortunately, Metroid isn't as popular as a lot of big fans think it is. I don't know the sales rankings of Nintendo's various IPs, but isn't Metroid pretty far down there compared to IPs like Mario, Pokemon, Smash, MK, Zelda etc?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

To be fully honest, and mildly heretical,I don't actually care for Mother Brain's humanoid form. Yes, it makes for a pretty cool cinematic battle, but... I dislike the idea of Ma Brain as a character instead of a device, which is what they're doing there.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:To be fully honest, and mildly heretical,I don't actually care for Mother Brain's humanoid form. Yes, it makes for a pretty cool cinematic battle, but... I dislike the idea of Ma Brain as a character instead of a device, which is what they're doing there.
agreed.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

On the upside, apparently the only excuse ever given for "why aren't there any space pirates running around their base in Tourian" is that the Mother Brain's tactical analysis concluded the best way to deter Samus from killing everything, dumping a few high-explosive rounds into it's less-than-delicate cerebrum, and blowing the entire operation to the next dimension was... to just open all the doors and let the metroids run rampant through the base. Any casualties could be considered acceptable losses, and survivors/replacements could recapture the metroids later.

I have no idea where this came from(source implied, but did not state, it was a manga somewhere), but it is awesome enough that I don't really care where it comes from and will gladly accept it into my personal canon, even if it came straight out of someone's disgusting NSFW Samus/Kraid fanfic.
It's a flavor of cold, calculated logic that SOUNDS right for a dispassionate machine.

Code: Select all

Kraid: terminated. 
 Ridley: terminated. 
 Tourian security gate: compromised. 

Threat analysis: absolute. 
 Standard defenses: inadequate.  
 Experimental defenses available. 
  Risk to staff: extreme. 
 Prime directive: protect base from outside interference. 
  Staff not on critical base asset list.

Analysis complete. Activating PA system. 

"Attention Tourian staff. As a final deterrent against bounty hunter incursion, metroid containment fields will be deactivated in thirty seconds. Your safety is not guaranteed. Seek shelter immediately. Thank you for your co-operation. Have a nice day."
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
odditude

Post by odditude »

...which ties in beautifully to the scene of still-feeding Metroids over a prone pirate when entering Tourian in ZM.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Yeah, that definitely sounds like psychopathic logic. I don't see any reason to be offended about you 2 not liking MB's humanoid form, and while I disagree I understand your reasons. You wish that they had kept her/it a bio-mechanical computer on life support, pulling the strings of all the other life forms on Zebes instead of making her a physical powerhouse. How does she communicate? Telepathy? Perhaps she put implants that can control the minds of everything on that planet, and uses those to telepathically control everything? I'm totally out of my element when discussing Metroid's storyline as I have very limited experience. I pulled telepathy out of my ass, but given she's a gigantic, hyper-advanced brain, I'm guessing that's what she'd use.

Hypothetically, I'd expect an advanced alien being/race with much more intellectual horsepower than humans to be able to communicate telepathically instead of needing language, which I suppose can be considered the most primitive form of telepathy because we make various noises with our mouths in order to directly put our thoughts, expressions, feelings and ideas into others' brains. A more advanced species would likely take language to its logical conclusion and have 100% mind-to-mind communication, making our form(s) of language obsolete. On the other hand, could alien life be so different that we humans couldn't even sense its presence in any way, much less fit our definition of what life is? Furthermore, if they are very intelligent but emotionless, that would be rather terrifying. Human psychopaths already create more problems than we can handle, so an advanced species of psychopathic beings would likely just exterminate us if Earth is desirable to them.

Sorry for going off on such a tangent. Thinking about stuff of that nature is pretty fascinating.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

it's like you're just rattling off 70+ year old sci-fi ideas
odditude

Post by odditude »

Yuber wrote:How does she communicate?
...how 'bout an intercom?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote: You wish that they had kept her/it a bio-mechanical computer on life support, pulling the strings of all the other life forms on Zebes instead of making her a physical powerhouse. How does she communicate? Telepathy? Perhaps she put implants that can control the minds of everything on that planet, and uses those to telepathically control everything?
Not... really. I view the 'Brain as a computer that acts based on the pirates' instructions to it, not a grand puppetmaster running things behind the scenes. It's a bit like blaming the e-mail server for your spam instead of spammers. Except the e-mail server doesn't kill anyone when the spam comes through.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
odditude

Post by odditude »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Yuber wrote: You wish that they had kept her/it a bio-mechanical computer on life support, pulling the strings of all the other life forms on Zebes instead of making her a physical powerhouse. How does she communicate? Telepathy? Perhaps she put implants that can control the minds of everything on that planet, and uses those to telepathically control everything?
Not... really. I view the 'Brain as a computer that acts based on the pirates' instructions to it, not a grand puppetmaster running things behind the scenes. It's a bit like blaming the e-mail server for your spam instead of spammers. Except the e-mail server doesn't kill anyone when the spam comes through.
DoS attack? :p
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

odditude wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
DoS attack? :p
DoSing the hospital's ICU for maximum effect!
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I view the 'Brain as a computer that acts based on the pirates' instructions to it, not a grand puppetmaster running things behind the scenes. It's a bit like blaming the e-mail server for your spam instead of spammers. Except the e-mail server doesn't kill anyone when the spam comes through.
Official canon is a bit different, though. Chozos build supercomputer-powered AI to manage their planet, their civilisation, and even their plan to bring peace to the whole galaxy. Advanced AI goes predictably but subtly out of control and twists pacifying the entire galaxy into controlling it. Warmonging species invade planet largely to spite the pacifist species (they already acquired some metroids from SR388 at that point); some chozos flee, others are captured, AI takes the opportunity to just impose its leadership on the whole gang including that dumbass ridley clone.
It's handwaved as being a consequence of the crab-pincer pirates being a worker ant kind of species, obeying anything they consider stronger than they are (why the fuck don't they obey YOU when you're done with the local head honchos in every game, lel shitty plothole).

Samus even explicitely considers the possibility that they reprogrammed her for their own goals, but it is not the case (and at least one chozo was aware it was going to backstab them eventually).

":/"
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:Official canon is a bit different, though. Chozos build supercomputer-powered AI to manage their planet, their civilisation, and even their plan to bring peace to the whole galaxy. Advanced AI goes predictably but subtly out of control and twists pacifying the entire galaxy into controlling it. Warmonging species invade planet largely to spite the pacifist species (they already acquired some metroids from SR388 at that point); some chozos flee, others are captured, AI takes the opportunity to just impose its leadership on the whole gang including that dumbass ridley clone.
It's handwaved as being a consequence of the crab-pincer pirates being a worker ant kind of species, obeying anything they consider stronger than they are (why the fuck don't they obey YOU when you're done with the local head honchos in every game, lel shitty plothole).

Samus even explicitely considers the possibility that they reprogrammed her for their own goals, but it is not the case (and at least one chozo was aware it was going to backstab them eventually).

":/"
Which is part of why I refuse to acknowledge official canon.
Zero Mission doesn't replace Metroid, Fusion never happened, and neither did Prime 3.
Prime 2 has nothing of consequence to add, really, so I don't have to make a decision. Well, nothing but another notch on Samus' genocide belt.
Prime is difficult to reconcile with ITSELF from a plot standpoint, and the part that's consistent is their take on the Chozo, which I don't particularly care for. But at least it's a decent game.

Other M, of course, is some guy's terrible fanfic and it's only a mass hallucination that makes anyone think it's an actual game, much less official.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Johan_H wrote:it's like you're just rattling off 70+ year old sci-fi ideas
I'm not even interested in sci-fi, much less 70+ year old sci-fi. Telepathic communication is just a random guess about how a species much more intelligent than us would communicate with eachother. They could communicate by burying their faces up eachothers' butts for all I know.

Nintendo storylines seem to be total clusterfucks(Zelda) and I frankly don't give a shit how the various games' stories tie in together. The gameplay is enough for me, unless I get REALLY into some of the series I haven't played in a long time again. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the N64 though, so I've missed out on a lot of good games.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:
I'm not even interested in sci-fi, much less 70+ year old sci-fi. Telepathic communication is just a random guess about how a species much more intelligent than us would communicate with eachother. They could communicate by burying their faces up eachothers' butts for all I know.
That makes more sense than telepathy.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

If that makes more sense to you than telepathy, than does the South Park solution to overpopulation appeal to you as well? In an episode called "Goobacks" about people time traveling from the future to the past to get jobs, all the men of the town tried to prevent future people from being born by taking off all their clothes, getting into a big pile and simply gettin' gay with eachother, hoping they'd turn all the men of the Earth gay. It's a lot funnier than it sounds when you watch how it happens.

Seriously though, what communication methods could you imagine advanced species with VASTLY superior intelligence utilizing? It's not like the concept of a global/collective consciousness is all that far fetched. Maybe much more intelligent creatures could tap into something like that? I know it sounds more religious than scientific, but I seriously doubt such things are impossible.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:If that makes more sense to you than telepathy, than does the South Park solution to overpopulation appeal to you as well?
Find me any sort of evolutionary path to telepathy. Any sort of basis in science fact for how it could work, biologically.

I can point you right now to creatures that communicate partially by sticking their faces into butts.
Smell is a far more robust form of communication than humans usually give it credit for(partially because we suck at smelling things).

So yeah, I'mma say sniffing butts makes more sense than telepathy OR South Park.
Seriously though, what communication methods could you imagine advanced species with VASTLY superior intelligence utilizing?
I dunno, vocalization's taken us from proto-rodentia to modern society pretty effectively. If it ain't broke...
It's not like the concept of a global/collective consciousness is all that far fetched. Maybe much more intelligent creatures could tap into something like that? I know it sounds more religious than scientific, but I seriously doubt such things are impossible.
It, uh, kinda IS that far-fetched.
There is no collective consciousness. There is no known mechanism by which telepathy can work.
Biology doesn't work that way.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Yuber wrote:
I'm not even interested in sci-fi, much less 70+ year old sci-fi.
If you say "Sorry for going off on such a tangent. Thinking about stuff of that nature is pretty fascinating." and right after that you're not interested in science fiction you're pretty much living life wrong.

@gil: I dunno, I don't see a reason why it'd be impossible for a living organism to transmit radio waves. Far fetched that it'd evolve naturally sure, but with some crazy space alien bio engineering or cybernetic implants it's not like it could never be done.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Johan_H wrote:
Yuber wrote:
I'm not even interested in sci-fi, much less 70+ year old sci-fi.
If you say "Sorry for going off on such a tangent. Thinking about stuff of that nature is pretty fascinating." and right after that you're not interested in science fiction you're pretty much living life wrong.

@gil: I dunno, I don't see a reason why it'd be impossible for a living organism to transmit radio waves. Far fetched that it'd evolve naturally sure, but with some crazy space alien bio engineering or cybernetic implants it's not like it could never be done.
I considered saying "without getting into transhumanism"

But I guess some sort of bastardized firefly/pit viper hybrid would be neat. Communicating at each other with IRDA.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Other M, of course, is some guy's terrible fanfic and it's only a mass hallucination that makes anyone think it's an actual game, much less official.
All part of the recent (and official) trend to make samus a PTSD trainwreck. See also ":/".
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I don't know enough about this scientifically to really comment and I was just speculating like I often do, but my ideas of a collective consciousness basically come from the Global Consciousness Project. I only heard about this on that Through the Wormhole show, so I'm not even sure if that's the correct link.

I told you earlier that I pulled the idea of telepathic communication out of my ass, and while I'm not big into sci-fi, philosophical stuff like that does interest me, but I'm not obsessed with it nor do I even study it; I just find it cool to think about sometimes. Also Gil, there is still a massive amount of information we have yet to learn about our own biology, and we humans aren't even close to decoding a theory of everything that describes all of existence or even the capabilities of our own brains, so deeming things like telepathy impossible is arrogant.

Scientific theories previously thought to be 100% iron-clad have gotten and get overturned all the time. I'd bet Richard Simmons' speedo that we have countless mental abilities that have yet to be discovered. For example, the well known story of Tibetan monks with wet towels on their backs raising their body temp through meditation and evaporating the cold water off. That has nothing to do with telepathy or collective consciousness but it shows that we humans can do things that seem technically impossible.

Although the History channel has gone to shit with that ancient aliens nonsense and goofy reality shows, a show named "Stan Lee's Superhumans" shows off some really astounding people, like, for example, a Russian man that can apparently see with his mind, even in the dark.(he was tested while blindfolded) I don't have the knowledge to argue with you about things of this nature myself, but my main point is that it's arrogant to think we know enough about ourselves and life as a whole to be able to say things like collective consciousness and telepathy, among other things, are impossible.

Let's make up by taking off all our clothes, gettin' into a big pile and doin' some weird stuff to eachothers' butts. Obama should propose that as a solution to overpopulation and war as a whole.(on April 1st of next year)

Also, trans-humanists creep me the fuck out. I have no desire to live forever, which is the ultimate dream of a lot of transhumanists, and the whole idea of cyborgs running around just seems incredibly wrong and, of course, unnatural. I'm no athiest, so I do not believe it's possible to download someone's entire being/personality/soul/spirit whatever you want to call it into a robotic body, no matter how advanced the technology used to attempt such an abomination. It'd just be a cheap, creepy imitation that would simulate a human being, and the very idea of doing something like that sickens me beyond words. Trans-humanists are FUCKING CRAZY
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

This thread is officially off-topic posting until such time as evidence of ZSNES development is presented! I have spoken!
Yuber wrote:Also Gil, there is still a massive amount of information we have yet to learn about our own biology, and we humans aren't even close to decoding a theory of everything that describes all of existence or even the capabilities of our own brains, so deeming things like telepathy impossible is arrogant.
There's a difference between not knowing how we think what we think and knowing that we don't beam radio waves through space for other brains to pick up.
Scientific theories previously thought to be 100% iron-clad have gotten and get overturned all the time. I'd bet Richard Simmons' speedo that we have countless mental abilities that have yet to be discovered. For example, the well known story of Tibetan monks with wet towels on their backs raising their body temp through meditation and evaporating the cold water off. That has nothing to do with telepathy or collective consciousness but it shows that we humans can do things that seem technically impossible.
I don't see how you get from "unusually fine control over metabolism" to "psychic powers fueled by the hive mind"
One is a remarkably well-disciplined version of something the brain already has control over as seen on a daily basis in every human ever. The other is new-age hippie bullshit.
Although the History channel has gone to shit with that ancient aliens nonsense and goofy reality shows, a show named "Stan Lee's Superhumans" shows off some really astounding people, like, for example, a Russian man that can apparently see with his mind, even in the dark.(he was tested while blindfolded)
Color me HIGHLY skeptical. I'd have to see more concrete evidence than a guy on a reality show hosted by a comic book mastermind. I have a good deal of respect for Stan Lee as a storyteller and a businessman, but would not consider him an expert in testing supernatural abilities. Particularly not as seen on a television show created primarily for entertainment.

Every claim of supernatural ability has failed under serious scientific scrutiny. There are two possible reasons for this
A. All supernatural abilities function similar to the Invisible Boy in Mystery Men. They only work when no one's looking.
B. All people claiming supernatural abilities are actually liars, con-men, or deluded fools.
Guess which one I find more likely. Here's a hint, it's the explanation that's less fun.
I don't have the knowledge to argue with you about things of this nature myself, but my main point is that it's arrogant to think we know enough about ourselves and life as a whole to be able to say things like collective consciousness and telepathy, among other things, are impossible.
So you don't know enough about the issue to make a case for it, but it's arrogant for me to make a case against it using my knowledge?
To claim telepathy is reasonable, you need some kind of mechanism by which it could conceivably work.

While we may not know exactly how our brains get from point A to point B, the basic mechanical functionality is fairly well-known. Chemicals set off electrical impulses in nerve sells, which release other chemicals that set off electrical impulses in OTHER nerve cells.
While there IS a magnetic field generated by all this electrical activity, it is of very low power and consequently does not carry very far. Even with two people's heads in direct physical contact, it is not strong enough to effect a change in another person's brain.
And that's the MOST plausible explanation for telepathy.

The brain is not a mystical artifact. It is a physical object that obeys the laws of physics.
Let's make up by taking off all our clothes, gettin' into a big pile and doin' some weird stuff to eachothers' butts.
I said SOME creatures do this. Not that I do.

Also, trans-humanists creep me the fuck out. I have no desire to live forever, which is the ultimate dream of a lot of transhumanists, and the whole idea of cyborgs running around just seems incredibly wrong and, of course, unnatural. I'm no athiest, so I do not believe it's possible to download someone's entire being/personality/soul/spirit whatever you want to call it into a robotic body, no matter how advanced the technology used to attempt such an abomination. It'd just be a cheap, creepy imitation that would simulate a human being, and the very idea of doing something like that sickens me beyond words. Trans-humanists are FUCKING CRAZY
I'm not an atheist either. I prefer to identify as agnostic. I am not certain in the non-existence of any sort of "higher power", but I certainly see no evidence FOR any such existence.

The body is a machine. What makes one machine better than another, aside from capabilities, failure rate, and the ready availability of replacement parts?
If there is a soul, it clearly has SOME capability for following the right parts since it apparently doesn't get confused when we clip our toenails, shave our heads, lose entire limbs, or even swap organs from one body to another. So no worries there!

And "wrong and unnatural" cyborgs are running around RIGHT NOW. There's one near you!
People have lenses implanted into their eyes, saw the ends of their bones off to replace them with steel and ceramic, augment their bodies with man-made devices, and replace parts of their bodies with more such devices. Cataract lens replacement, joint replacement, pacemakers, and prosthetic limbs are all quite common medical procedures.

At what point does one's unnatural enhancements start to become a creepy abomination? Glasses? A peg leg? A hearing aid? A mechanical arm? A pacemaker? An artificial heart?
Is it only when abilities are enhanced beyond "normal" abilities, rather than supplementing substandard or damaged parts? Are binoculars creepy? A night-vision scope? A wristwatch? A car? A smartphone*? A warm coat? A good pair of shoes?
Is it only when abilities are PERMANENTLY enhanced beyond some vague definition of normal? Or just when too many of these abilities are enhanced?

*If there IS a global consciousness, it's the internet.

Don't fool yourself. You're living a very unnatural life right now, sitting in your artificial lighting enjoying your climate-controlled building and playing with your computer. If you're like most of us, you only survived childhood due to vaccines and antibiotics. What's a little more unnatural in your life?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Yuber wrote:Also Gil, there is still a massive amount of information we have yet to learn about our own biology, and we humans aren't even close to decoding a theory of everything that describes all of existence or even the capabilities of our own brains, so deeming things like telepathy impossible is arrogant.

Scientific theories previously thought to be 100% iron-clad have gotten and get overturned all the time. I'd bet Richard Simmons' speedo that we have countless mental abilities that have yet to be discovered.
This is akin to saying since we haven't drilled through all of the earth to look it's still possible that the earth is hollow.

And what scientific theories do you have in mind that were thought 100% iron-clad and got overturned?
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

IMO, trans-humanism becomes a creepy abomination when people start replacing their physical bodes with robotic parts in order to live forever or become "god-like", and that's hard to define because many people define God or Gods differently. I see no problem replacing hips, preventing disease and other things that are medically necessary. The most disturbing part to me though is the idea of abandoning our human bodes as a whole and downloading our brains' contents into robotic bodies. Also, trans-humanism, at least the extreme type I'm talking about, as well as enhancing ourselves through genetic engineering could lead to an even larger rift between the wealthy and everyone else, leading to us having not only financial differences but EXTREME genetic differences to the point of there being 2+ separate human species. It's more the optional enhancement stuff that creeps me out, including modern plastic surgery.(unless it's used to correct some sort of deformity/disease, cleft lip/palette being an example) If things like transhumanism really get out of control, I don't think we'd be responsible enough to take a step back and tone it down.
Is it only when abilities are PERMANENTLY enhanced beyond some vague definition of normal? Or just when too many of these abilities are enhanced?
Both, I suppose. If it's a medically unnecessary enhancement that gives someone a big advantage(especially if it's permanent) over people who can't afford such things, I'd be against it personally. It's the logical conclusion(s) of transhumanism that really give me pause. Super powered cyborgs and/or genetically engineered superhumans would serve to divide humanity even further and create caste systems that would make past and modern day caste systems seem innocent and benign by comparison, imo.

Yes, I know computers are simulated brains but I was talking about mixing human beings' biology with machines on an extreme level to make ourselves immortal and/or give people who can afford such procedures massive advantages. I can only set my own personal boundaries, but I'd much rather die naturally than have my mind downloaded into a robotic body and live forever. Technology is advancing very rapidly and we humans aren't exactly known for being a responsible, peaceful species.

I'm skeptical of that Superhumans show as well, but IF most if not all of the people shown are legit, there are a shit ton of unexplained phenomenon that have been filmed on that show that seem just as impossible as telepathy. I have a very casual interest in the subjects we're talking about, and as you can tell, I haven't done any real studying. While the magnetic fields generated by OUR brains is weak, who knows what hypothetical beings with brains 10+ times more powerful than ours could do? I already admitted in the post I brought telepathy up in that I just randomly threw it out there. I don't have any odd, unexplainable abilities but I doubt every person who claims such things is lying.(although most probably are) The superhumans show basically takes people who claim extraordinary abilities and tests them scientifically, or at least it seems.

I think I will do some research on that show to see if it's just a staged production or if it's actually genuine. If genuine, some very weird, incredible shit has been filmed on that program.
And what scientific theories do you have in mind that were thought 100% iron-clad and got overturned?
Everything from Earth being the center of the universe(Geocentricity) or at least our solar system to Einstein proving that space is a pliable fabric rather than just static space comes to mind. I'm no doctor but countless medical theories(4 humors for example) that entire societies used to consider obvious facts have been completely debunked as well. Proving evolution(which really accelerated after discovering DNA) was also huge, of course. In the future, I'm guessing much of our understanding of gravity will be overturned as well due to differences between quantum gravity and "regular" non-quantum gravity, although I'm not knowledgeable enough to argue about it myself.