* Feature Request * Brightness and Color Saturation

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

dw817
Rookie

* Feature Request * Brightness and Color Saturation

Post by dw817 »

This feature is actually already available in BGB, a Gameboy Color emulator.

That of: Brightness (Gamma), and color saturation.

There are times when the colors seem to be too intense, or the screen (when you are in a dungeon or equally dark place) is really hard to see unless you tweeze up the brightness on your physical monitor.

Would be nice to see ZSNES/ZSNESW have an option for Brightness & Saturation.
:D
[img]http://geocities.com/dw817/forum/topaz.gif[/img]
Bacon
Hazed

Post by Bacon »

I have never had problems with either of those, what games are you talking about?
dw817
Rookie

Post by dw817 »

Hi Bacon:
Bacon wrote:I have never had problems with either of those, what games are you talking about?
* Well I can think of three games.
1. Halfway into Arcana the dungeon walls are very dark indeed (starting at the base of the Tower).

2. Chrono Trigger in certain dark dungeons.

3. 7th Saga in just about ANY dungeon (very difficult to find those stairs and doorways).

Already I am using PGUP/PGDN to raise/lower the audio volume.
Adding 4 extra optional keystrokes would be good.

Raise/Lower Brightness (optionally Home/End keystrokes)
Raise/Lower Color Saturation (optionally Ins/Del keystrokes)

These changes are cosmetic.
ZSNES is already one very good system, but has no ability to brighten/darken the screen during gameplay.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

If you need more brightness/gamma/saturation/whatever for those, there's something wrong with your monitor.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

He may have a bad contrast on his monitor (like mine, and it's set to the max). All he needs to do is adjust it in the video card settings. Or he can replace it
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

As they mentioned you can try changing some settings on your monitor. Also check your video card settings while you're at it. If you have any old GeForce you can screw around with pretty much every aspect of colour and lighting.

EDIT: Nevermind this was already mentioned.
dw817
Rookie

Post by dw817 »

FireKnight wrote:As they mentioned you can try changing some settings on your monitor. Also check your video card settings while you're at it. If you have any old GeForce you can screw around with pretty much every aspect of colour and lighting.

EDIT: Nevermind this was already mentioned.
* Lor' you people are terrible.
So you'd rather bring up your video card settings rather than have the software make a visual adjustment by brightening/darkening pixels for it's view only so it doesn't affect other applications ?

Am I missing something here or are you (and others) terribly avoiding the issue that it MIGHT require some programming to ZSNES to add a brightness/contrast feature ?

1. Why does ZSNES currently have software driven Output Image Processing allowing for Kreed's SuperEagle and other ways to smooth edges of pixels ? A 3-D card could fix it so why bother to write it for those who don't have a 3-D card ? :)

2. Why does ZSNES have a slow down feature ?
Who on EARTH would anyone want to emulate at a slower game, after all, it seems that MOST of the people writing in here are trying to directly emulate the SNES exactly to system specifications and are open to ZERO additions. So this is a travesty of a feature that cripples it ? :)

3. Why does ZSNES have auto-fire ?
Real players don't need that, right ? To be authentic, you would have auto-fire on your controller.

4. Why does ZSNES have a load/save game feature ?
Real players would NEVER use that, they'd play that game for 60+ hours non-stop to get the real feel of an authentic SNES.

5. Why does ZSNES have the ability to play 2-player over the internet ?
The original SNES never had that so once again, isn't this a deviation from the original SNES ?

Or do you only want SNES emulation only and precisely and the hell with any and ALL features that make it technically non-standard from a real SNES unit ?

If so, then ZSNES is not for you.

It is accurate emulation AND additional non-standard features that make ZSNES the great SNES emulator it is today.

For a moment, assume I don't have a 3-D card, which I do.
I AM NOT going to tweak it for the sole sake of a visual difference in a single application since I run multiple applications at a time; that is the purpose of Windows, remember ?

Use some common sense here, FireKnight.
Do you HONESTLY think your answer of adjusting my GEForce brightness has anything at all to do with feature requests for ZSNES ?
. . .

I'm sorry if I'm going out on a limb here pplz, but this is really getting to be old and I've seen you do it to other peoples' honest and useful requests, and not just for ZSNES.

If YOU ONLY want 100% accurate SNES emulation (as a great many of you have preached) and will downplay each and EVERY request for non-standard features to the ZSNES software emulator, then buy the fool unit, delight in the accuracy and limitedness of it, and leave the software ZSNES alone.

. . .

I'm done now, and I hope I did some good here for you other people who have requested good features (not just for ZSNES) and had them downplayed (almost like a mind game) in other's ineffectual and non-helpful replies.

Would the REAL programmers of ZSNES stand up please and in the most technical terms you can find, explain why brightness/saturation is a bad feature request ?
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

bringing Zsnes back
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

dw817 wrote:So you'd rather bring up your video card settings rather than have the software make a visual adjustment by brightening/darkening pixels for it's view only so it doesn't affect other applications ?
The video card settings would also handle this, and geez, that's also software.
dw817 wrote:3. Why does ZSNES have auto-fire ?
Real players don't need that, right ? To be authentic, you would have auto-fire on your controller.
Well, what about those who don't have an auto-fire controller, or using a keyboard ?
dw817 wrote:5. Why does ZSNES have the ability to play 2-player over the internet ?
The original SNES never had that so once again, isn't this a deviation from the original SNES ?
IIRC there was an adaptor to where you can netplay using your SNES, it was Japan-only though, and supported a few games.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

dw817 wrote:* Lor' you people are terrible.
So you'd rather bring up your video card settings rather than have the software make a visual adjustment by brightening/darkening pixels for it's view only so it doesn't affect other applications ?
Yes, because the issue is caused by your screen, not ZSNES.
Am I missing something here or are you (and others) terribly avoiding the issue that it MIGHT require some programming to ZSNES to add a brightness/contrast feature ?
It requires it as much as you require unanesthetized brain surgery. Do you require it ?
1. Why does ZSNES currently have software driven Output Image Processing allowing for Kreed's SuperEagle and other ways to smooth edges of pixels ? A 3-D card could fix it so why bother to write it for those who don't have a 3-D card ?
Please shut up. Ignorance is not a reason valid enough to spew bullshit.
2. Why does ZSNES have a slow down feature ?
Who on EARTH would anyone want to emulate at a slower game, after all, it seems that MOST of the people writing in here are trying to directly emulate the SNES exactly to system specifications and are open to ZERO additions. So this is a travesty of a feature that cripples it ?
For the purpose of making some games easier, and also to produce high quality tool-assisted movies.
3. Why does ZSNES have auto-fire ?
Many people use the keyboard with ZSNES. This feature helps, as a tool to make games easier.
4. Why does ZSNES have a load/save game feature ?
Real players would NEVER use that, they'd play that game for 60+ hours non-stop to get the real feel of an authentic SNES.
Games that have no SRAM usually don't last more than 3 or 4 hours or use a password system. 60+ hours games HAVE some kind of battery-backed ram to save games. It's only natural for ZSNES to reproduce this. If you were talking about states, they now belong in the tool array used to make games easier and produce high quality tool-assisted movies.
5. Why does ZSNES have the ability to play 2-player over the internet ?
Because many ZSNES users are lonely nerds and don't have friends to play on their computer. They have to use this feature to play with friends from farther away.
Would the REAL programmers of ZSNES stand up please and in the most technical terms you can find, explain why brightness/saturation is a bad feature request ?
I'm not 'REAL' for more than 9 months, but what you ask is purely aesthetical, would affect a limited number of users, and wouldn't bring any kind of value to emulation.
To this I have only one thing to say: "you're welcome to code it yourself".
But really, tweak your monitor/card and be done with it, it'd be easier on you.

Questions ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

The brightness of ZSNES has never been an issue for me, but even if it was, it takes about 10 seconds to create a custom profile in my Forceware drivers to fix this. It is simply not worth the developer time it would take to add this feature (that very few people will use) when you can do it with:

1. The monitor contols;
2. Video card drivers;
3. An external application.
CyberBotX
Lurker

Post by CyberBotX »

I'm pretty sure the developers don't feel the urge to add stuff to ZSNES that is already done by other external applications. Most of the stuff in ZSNES either helps with the SNES emulation or helps with how people play SNES games. Things like gamma correction, as has been said many times already, is best done by your video card's driver. What you're asking for is pretty much to have the wheel reinvented more than it needs to be.
[url=http://www.cyberbotx.com/]SNES Sprite Animations[/url], made by an Insane Killer Robot.
I'm a computer programmer (in C++) and a future game designer.
sbastos

Post by sbastos »

if you can try the DOS version. It has gamma correction.
dw817
Rookie

Post by dw817 »

Hi Sbastos:
sbastos wrote:if you can try the DOS version. It has gamma correction.
* Thank you. Unfortunately I like the Windows version better.
Running DOS tasks in league with Window Tasks can hinder other active Window applications.

As to the rest of you:
I've posted my request.
I made it quite clear that this is a software request.

BGB has a brightness/saturation control
MAME has a brightness/saturation control
Nestopia has a brightness/saturation control
PocketNES has a brightness control
GOOMBA has a brightness control
ALL Paint programs have a brightness/saturation control
VirtualDUB has a brightness/saturation control
TMPGENC has a brightness/saturation control

If NONE of you are going to post a serious reply regarding this software request, I.E.: if you can't post ANYTHING except that I need to adjust my hardware (especially since you have ZERO control over the actual ZSNES software project) then kindly SHUT your gob and deliver your banter elsewhere.

If you are DETERMINED to show that my request for software driven brightness/saturation is a stupid request, well, if you all team up together and work really hard at it as you have with other peoples' requests, you just might be able to convince yourselves of this. :)

Now, if you are an SNES developer and have control over the WIP and you don't want brightness/saturation and are somehow vehemently against it, remember that ZSNES is not for your sole use alone. A feature inactive in software does not cripple it, but active makes that software that much more powerful and that much more desireable and useful.

If you are INCAPABLE of adding brightness/saturation then that is solely your decision. You already know SOMEONE else who CAN program this in, but it is up to YOU to take this request to THEIR level.

Grinvader, I am NOT discounting or dislike the features I mentioned above. I LIKE them rather well. I was just pointing out the similar "logic" (for lack of a better word) how easy it would be to "disagree" with some of the good features already out for ZSNES.

You mentioned brain surgery, so then you people who have the ZSNES source are incapable of adjusting the brightness of pixels ? If this is the case, then you are not REALLY directly coding it but patching existing code without getting to it at a machine-language (component) level.

This is not an old idea. This has been the handicap of other sourceware programs in the past. If none of you are capable of adjusting the brightness of pixels either through lack of source code or lack of experience then I will take back my request.

It is sad, however, that something like this could not be done, and for the reason of others not really deleting/adjusting/adding code from scratch but just patching the existing model of the Freeware version of ZSNES itself.

I reluctantly withdraw my request and hope future developers are more capable of coding this. :cry:
Last edited by dw817 on Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spoony
Hazed

Post by Spoony »

You aren't asking for a serious reply, you're asking for somebody to agree with you. grinvader gave you a pretty serious and logical reply. I agree that something like gamma correction is not an entirely unreasonable request, but I also see that it's not really worth it. It's much quicker and easier for me to change the brightness on my monitor, then switch it back for something else than it is for the coders to write that sort of feature in and then make the necessary changes to the GUI (which is a pain in the ass, from what I hear).
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=spoony]Immortality[/url]
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

dw817 wrote:stuff
Grinvader responded, he's been doing some work more recently on Zsnes. Read it again. Twice.

Edit: Spoony = Winnar
Last edited by Oblivion on Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything I say is a lie.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

dw817 wrote:Am I missing something here or are you (and others) terribly avoiding the issue that it MIGHT require some programming to ZSNES to add a brightness/contrast feature ?
Seems you're insinuating that people are lazy. Also, you're being a bit of an ass about the issue in general. Those are not good things to do when making requests (or demands, as it's turning out in your case) for a program that other people made in their free time for you to enjoy at no cost, that already happens to be awesome as it is.

Besides, the emulation remains the most important thing, everything else is just icing on the proverbial cake (except maybe savestates, which are invaluable to bugfixing).

Oh, did you know that the HQxX filter was created by somebody outside of the Zsnes team, when he desired this feature? That's a hint, if you hadn't guessed.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
dw817
Rookie

Post by dw817 »

Hi Blackmyst:
Seems you're insinuating that people are lazy. Also, you're being a bit of an ass about the issue in general. Those are not good things to do when making requests (or demands, as it's turning out in your case) for a program that other people made in their free time for you to enjoy at no cost, that already happens to be awesome as it is.
* Well - (sheepish look) sorry about being an ass. :roll:

As it turns out, I'm a bit of a programmer myself.
I have REALLY tried very hard to listen to ALL suggestions, as such, Scenario, a 10-year project of mine, is a busy program indeed. Some of the suggestions seemed pretty foolish, others seemed really good. I did my LEVEL BEST to incorporate as many ideas and suggestions from people as I could provided I could code them all.

Scenario is a Freeware project, like ZSNES, and as such, it is still open to public suggestion. I am currently working on a GBA port of it. I've - seen too many threads develop into a "wiser-than-thou" attitude and I imagine I leaped out of line when I should have stepped to the next square.

Apologies for any hurt feelings out there.
I think SOME of you out there, are familiar with making a post and having everyone attack it. Starting a new thread should not be a crime, and neither should there be watch-dogs to attack others who post a new thread or consider starting one.
Besides, the emulation remains the most important thing, everything else is just icing on the proverbial cake (except maybe savestates, which are invaluable to bugfixing).
* That is the main function no-one will disagree upon, correct emulation.

Mecarobot Golf for SNES does not emulate properly in ZSNES.
It is emulated correctly, however, in SNESHOUT.
I hope future ZSNES will emulate this correctly.
Oh, did you know that the HQxX filter was created by somebody outside of the Zsnes team, when he desired this feature? That's a hint, if you hadn't guessed.
Hexlord
Hazed

Post by Hexlord »

Hi, I do believe the guy have some valid point, because some games tend to look darker compared to the actual version on the SNES itself.

Off-hand I couldn't remember.. maybe Eek The Cat. I don't recall the intro being so dark before.

EDIT: I suggest having a gamma control that is applicable only when you are running ZSNES on Full Screen. For windowed view, the gamma should follow the setting on the desktop itself.
[i]I will cross the chasm[/i]
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

Brightness/contrast controls aren't required for faithful emulation of the SNES. Granted, ZSNES has tons of features other emulators don't, but most of these aid the user in enjoying the game as it was meant to be enjoyed.

In any case, you, sir, are a retard. We've already given you alternatives. Choosing to ignore them, or to refuse to code what you require yourself, indicates that you have no desire to actually solve the issue appropriately.

You believe you have a 'case'. I believe you can go to hell.
Hexlord
Hazed

Post by Hexlord »

I am all for the idea actually. No need to call ppl retards for nothing!
[i]I will cross the chasm[/i]
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Aerdan wrote:In any case, you, sir, are a retard. We've already given you alternatives. Choosing to ignore them, or to refuse to code what you require yourself, indicates that you have no desire to actually solve the issue appropriately.

You believe you have a 'case'. I believe you can go to hell.
And *that* is a prime example of what is wrong with a large part of the open-source community today.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

Actually, no. It's a prime example of how much of an asshole I can be. I wasn't even talking to you, for Christ's sake.

In any case... Hexlord, everyone else who uses ZSNES and has brightness/contrast issues knows how to adjust their monitor or video card settings, and does so, *without pestering ZSNES developers*.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Ok, I have watched the thread, and I just want to jump in. WTF is the big deal on actually having to modify one's own monitor or GFX card's contrast & brightness outside of zsnes? If one were to playe a real snes, the brightness / contrast settings were on one's tv, never on the snes. Also if I remember right, coding in/for the GUI is a bitch. And to keep repeating on an old point. Theres the source, if you don't like it, modify it.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

SquareHead wrote:Ok, I have watched the thread, and I just want to jump in. WTF is the big deal on actually having to modify one's own monitor or GFX card's contrast & brightness outside of zsnes?
Because they are fucking lazy and/or have fucked up monitors.

BITCH MOAN ASS
Last edited by Agozer on Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.