Nestopia 1.39

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

it is prefference, but I think he was reffering to the technical nature of it.

for example, I often will run an emulator at 640x480 resolution, creating a more visually appealing image to me than say a sharp 1280x960. Is the first resolution visually inferior? technically yes, but do I still use it in some occations? yes.

this is why I understand Nightcrawlers plea, never-the-less it doesn't bother me too much as I usually use either bilinear or scalex
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
byuu

Post by byuu »

That is solely your opinion. I have gone on record as preferring 2xSAI to HQ2x in most cases both are offered. It just looks visually better to ME. You can't say that any filter is 'lower quality' than another. It's a matter of personal preference.
Would you call the difference between grayscale and true color a personal preference, if some people preferred the former? It would be nice if there were a way to statistically analyze two images for quality somehow (eg, consistency and smoothness of color blending, edge tests, etc). I'd bet money HQ2x would win in such a test. 2xSaI is nothing more than Scale2x + alpha blending close matches. But to each their own.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

So far the emulator is working right on me. I took me a day to compress all ROMs on 7Z format after fixing all those headers.
Last edited by Neo Kaiser on Sat May 26, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

byuu wrote:
That is solely your opinion. I have gone on record as preferring 2xSAI to HQ2x in most cases both are offered. It just looks visually better to ME. You can't say that any filter is 'lower quality' than another. It's a matter of personal preference.
Would you call the difference between grayscale and true color a personal preference, if some people preferred the former? It would be nice if there were a way to statistically analyze two images for quality somehow (eg, consistency and smoothness of color blending, edge tests, etc). I'd bet money HQ2x would win in such a test. 2xSaI is nothing more than Scale2x + alpha blending close matches. But to each their own.
That would depend on whether or not we're enhancing an original image that already had full reproduction. We've already got the original source image in full. Now, we're changing that. Since we no longer have the original image and have an 'enhanced' image, how you can gauge what is a 'better' enhanced image? That's solely an opinion based on what looks better to you.

You say it's simply 'than Scale2x + alpha blending close matches.' So? Does it matter? I could prefer Scale2x and nothing else and my point still stands. I could prefer interpolation and nothing else. OR.. I could say that NONE of your filters are any good and only the original image will do.

They are all equally valid.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

HQ2X looks good with games that use a simple colour palette (Super Mario World, Super Bomberman), but bad in many games that use pre-rendered graphics (Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct) - 2xSAI looks better in these situations.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Well then, we'll keep it as a matter of preference. Ask kreed to use a less restrictive license and I'll add the filter. Nestopia is GPL already, so anyone here is free to add it in there themselves.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Clements wrote:HQ2X looks good with games that use a simple colour palette (Super Mario World, Super Bomberman), but bad in many games that use pre-rendered graphics (Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct) - 2xSAI looks better in these situations.
I should try that sometime.
It'd be interesting to see a game 2xSAI looked good on.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

I don't know why I'm thinking in 1.38 lately
Last edited by Neo Kaiser on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

... what?
Marty
Nestopia Developer
Nestopia Developer

Post by Marty »

1.38 is in progress. 8)
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

I need to get Marty the new MMX/SSE-optimized NTSC filter code before he makes a release...
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Marty wrote:1.38 is in progress. 8)
Yay! I hope we'll be seeing a new linux overlay when that comes out. Arbee's a busy man, but I hope he can find time to work on that.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

sweet, I was starting to worry that the best NES emu had ceased developement.

tightness 8)
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Marty
Nestopia Developer
Nestopia Developer

Post by Marty »

blargg wrote:I need to get Marty the new MMX/SSE-optimized NTSC filter code before he makes a release...
Neat. I'd love to check it out. You have my email right?
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

blargg wrote:I need to get Marty the new MMX/SSE-optimized NTSC filter code before he makes a release...
I could use that as well.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

This emulator is almost as perfect as it can be for me. The only thing I currently miss is forcing a 4:3 mode for 5:4 screens (mine), I don't think the TV aspect works for these screens, only for widescreen. Not too certain here though.

The 2nd thing I'm missing are the Kreed filters (were removed some versions ago because they had a bad effect on the code or something). I hope they can be re-added some day in some unharmful way.

Awesome job on the emu, Marty :)
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

yeah, out of curiosity what more are you planning? there can't be much else, obsure hardware???
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Have to say this is one spot-on NES emmy, and I've been using them since the days of Nesticle. As for the debate over 2xSai and whatnot, I never use any of that crap since I'm more on a nostalgia trip. I toss in about 25% scanlines and I'm good to go.
Boozle061083
Rookie

Nostalgia FTW!!!1!!

Post by Boozle061083 »

Yep I am sailing on good ship nostalgia on the open seas of emulation too. That is why I get so excited over new advancements in NTSC filtering. mmm...blurry color bleeding images. Just like Mom used to make :D
[b]Im iN uR EmULatuR. chAnGiN' aLL uR diReCtoReeZ.[/b]
[img]http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/5092/57501844cs7jz9jc3.png[/img]
Boozle061083
Rookie

Nestopia fights crime! Prevents violence

Post by Boozle061083 »

Once upon a time someone stole my entire NES collection when my brother loaned it to a friend. Badly in need of my Ninja Turtles 2 and Zelda fix I went looking on the "interweb" as Al Gore so lovingly puts it (lol) and came across RockNESX. Yes that's right. RockNESX was my first. It stole my emulation virginity and I never looked back. Well after a while like most loves do, RockNESX started to show all it's tiny little flaws here and there the longer I spent time with it. So I went searching for the forbidden fruits of another. I found Nesticle, VirtuaNES and Nestopia. I tried them all but I wanted as close to the real thing as I could get so I chose Nestopia for it's cycle accurate emulation and wow am I glad I did. Not hating on the others of course, they are great emulators, but this one is my weapon of choice. Thank you Nestopia for saving what could have been a large missing piece of my childhood. Now I hardly ever think about that "punk-bitch-yellow-bastard-I-will-stab-with-a-rusty-pitchfork-when-I-find-him" that stole my NES >:O

There. That was a good waste of time while I eat my Cheerios xD
[b]Im iN uR EmULatuR. chAnGiN' aLL uR diReCtoReeZ.[/b]
[img]http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/5092/57501844cs7jz9jc3.png[/img]
Grahf
"opinionated asshole"

Post by Grahf »

I've been playing around with the sound settings and I just can't get it to sound right...

Two questions (which may have the same answer):

- What are the most "accurate" sound options? Bit-rate, etc...

- What are the "best" sound options?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

i hate nestopia's sound. it feels too one sided to me even in stereo mode and biasing the audio to one side doesnt fix this... i seriously don't remember the NES doing that because it never gave me headaches so quickly. (occurs both in stereo and mono)
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Grahf
"opinionated asshole"

Post by Grahf »

franpa wrote:i hate nestopia's sound. it feels too one sided to me even in stereo mode and biasing the audio to one side doesnt fix this... i seriously don't remember the NES doing that because it never gave me headaches so quickly. (occurs both in stereo and mono)
You're not alone.

I absolutely notice the same exact thing. And I definitely don't remember that happening with my old NES.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Grahf wrote:
franpa wrote:i hate nestopia's sound. it feels too one sided to me even in stereo mode and biasing the audio to one side doesnt fix this... i seriously don't remember the NES doing that because it never gave me headaches so quickly. (occurs both in stereo and mono)
You're not alone.

I absolutely notice the same exact thing. And I definitely don't remember that happening with my old NES.
rocknes is the best (output quality) followed by most others like virtuanes/jnes/fakenes/nesticle and they are followed by nestopia.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

A listening test for the NES emulators and NSF players would be interesting. It's been far too long since I last played a real NES. I wonder how FCEU and blargg's APU emulator compare to the real hardware?