Video Card Upgrade Advice

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Video Card Upgrade Advice

Post by Nach »

My main machine features a GeForce 7600 GS which I'm looking to upgrade. My reasons for upgrade is that Nvidia is dropping driver support for it, part of it looks like it's a bit burnt, and I would like to use some of the new technology I'm missing out on like VDPAU and CUDA.

I want a modern Nvidia card which is more powerful than the one I have, with all the new tech. Something which I can depend on for many years to come, but isn't a major power drain. I don't need a wide card, power hungry card, or any of that.

I don't play games with 3D environments, and my heavy video card usage is large video playback, Command & Conquer series, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Project 64, Dolphin, ZiNc, ePSXe.

Which video card should I be getting? Bearing in mine one which should accomplish what I need, and save on my long term electric bill. I'm thinking it should probably be a GeForce GT 610 - 640, but I'm not entirely sure what to pick. Any advice?

I'd like one which has 2 DVI ports, which my current card also has.
The rest of my hardware is modern and top of the line, so no need to worry about other hardware requirements.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Re: Video Card Upgrade Advice

Post by Nach »

I got some help over IRC, and looks like I found a good card (GeForce GT 640 r2). I shouldn't be needing further assistance.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by adventure_of_link »

If you don't play games with 3D enviournments, what the hell are ya doing with Project 64 and ePSXe? Those are 3D console emulators...

Unless of course I missed something...
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

As one example, Mega Man X5.

Post by grinvader »

SHAKE SHAKE
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Windows only. :[
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

My advice is to unplug the computer before you remove the old card.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:My advice is to unplug the computer before you remove the old card.
Ground yourself and the computer before handling any electronics and also remember to plug a power cable in to the video card if the video card demands one.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I always find it better to keep the computer plugged in, but the switch turned off. The case remains earth grounded in that case, and if there's any exposed metal, you can hold on to it and generally be safe touching stuff.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

In any case, don't hot-swap it.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I once had to hot plug a video card while a system was running, because I had managed to flash its BIOS with null data somehow, and the only machine I had handy would disable its integrated video if it detected anything that looked like a video card plugged into one of the PCI slots. This included Voodoo and PowerVR cards, so using those with the onboard 2D graphics was impossible as well.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

paulguy wrote:I always find it better to keep the computer plugged in, but the switch turned off. The case remains earth grounded in that case, and if there's any exposed metal, you can hold on to it and generally be safe touching stuff.
Yeah, that's what we do, as well as a anti-static wrist strap we clamp to the metal interior of the case. Question: Does it matter if the PSU switch is on or off? Or is it fine either way? (Power point remains off regardless of choice)
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

The power supply switch should, without question, be turned to OFF. Physically disconnecting the AC from the rest of the circuit is WAY safer than not disconnecting it.

At least ATX supplies don't run AC clear across the case like virtually all AT supplies did.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

He did say he switched off the power outlet. I imagine its fine if the power outlet is off. Not sure if that switches off the earth ground though.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

paulguy wrote:He did say he switched off the power outlet. I imagine its fine if the power outlet is off. Not sure if that switches off the earth ground though.
It doesn't. Ground is ground. The wire is literally linked to the ground, and switches merely control power going through the phase wire (if you don't suck at circuits. some retards put switches on the neutral side, which is a good way to get shocked by capacitor-like mechanism).
Switching ground off would rank pretty high on the retardscale, since you have to add extra parts to disable a natural security. Darwin awards material.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I didn't want to say something like that if I wasn't absolutely sure, since it is a safety thing.