vSNES

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

filouk wrote:When I click on "reload" all layers get disabled (we are back to the original problem...)

P.S. if you need a beta-tester, I'm the man ;)
You need a bit more elaborate though - both with what you want to do, and what exactly you're doing...

After starting vSNES, you need to check the "update" checkbox, otherwise loading a savestate won't update the layering. Clicking the reload button restores the "saved layering", which at this point is "all layers disabled".

When you have chosen your layering, simply disable the "update" checkbox in the options. There's no need to press the "reload" button; the layering won't be updated by loading new savestates.

The "reload" button will restore the "saved layering". This "saved layering" will only be updated when you load a savestate with the "update" checkbox checked.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
filouk
Rookie

Post by filouk »

OK. First I've just got the fact that the "reload" button doesn't do what I thought it did. I thought the "reload" button allowed to load the same savestate again, so as to "refresh" it if you have changed it in Zsnes in-between. So I guess this is not the actual function of this button. I understand that this button load the "saved layering".

Second, now it got me confused and there are things I don't understand. What exactly happens when the layering gets "updated" ? I only notice that the layering "changes" to some "saved layering", but I don't know where this "saved layering" comes from. I will give you an example where I followed your instructions :

1) I check the "update layering" box.

2) I load a savestate, but it loads a layering that I don't want (I will call it L1) So I enable or disable the layers I want, and let's call L2 this new layering

3) I disable the "update the layering" box.

4) I notice that the layering doesn't change when I load new savestates : it remains on L2.

5) But when I press the "reload" button, it comes back to L1 ! Or if I check "update the layering" and then I load the savestate again, it will come back to L1. Why ? How do I get rid of L1 ? How do I make L2 the "default layering" ? What was the purpose of the first 2 steps ? And anyway, where did L1 come from ??
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

The "saved layering" is supposed to restore the original layering of a savestate. It's currently only updated when you're loading a savestate with the "update layering" checkbox checked, but I could change it so that loading a savestate will always update it.

Re: your example, pressing the "reload" button in step 5 reverts to L1 because the "saved layering" is not updated by loading another savestate in step 4. It's still the L1 layering because that's the last savestate loaded with the "update" checkbox checked.

Of course I can change this behavior, but I need to know how you (and other users) want it to behave.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
filouk
Rookie

Post by filouk »

But what is the "original layering" ? Is it the layering that was here at the moment you "saved" the savestate in ZsNes ? If so, well it doesn't work for me.

I would like the reload button to just load the same savestate again, which means I would like the reload button to have exactly the same effect as if I go to "load a savestate" and that I load again the same savestate file.

You understand, when I make a map, it is more convenient if I use only 1 savestate in ZsNes, because I don't lose time "switching" between slot 0, slot 1 and so on, so I always use "slot 0". So, what I'm doing is :

1. I save the savestate in ZsNes (let's say, mario.zst)
2. I open it in vSnes
3. I copy it to the clipboard
4. I paste it in Paint
5. I save another savestate (slot 0 again, so the old mario.zst gets replaced by the new one )
6. I "reload" the "mario.zst" file in VsNes to open the new savestate. I can do that buy going to "load a savestate" but it takes two clicks. If I could do it just by clicking on "reload", it would take only 1 click.
7. I copy it to the clipboard.
8. I paste it in Paint
9. I put it together with the other one.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

That's not what the SceneViewer's reload button is for. Use the main window's reload button (has been removed in later versions), or simply press F5. This is one of the global hotkeys that work everywhere (see the documentation).

1. save the savestate in ZSNES
2. open it in vSNES
3. copy the screen to the clipboard
4. paste into Paint (I suggest PaintShopPro instead of Paint)
5. save again in ZSNES
6. reload the savestate file via F5
7. goto 3
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
filouk
Rookie

Post by filouk »

Ok, thank you.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

creaothceann, your RHDN link for the VSNES file mirror is broken as of RHDN 2.0 last June. ;)

Should be:

http://www.romhacking.net/utils/274/

That link will most likely be valid for the remainder of the site's life. :)
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Fixed, thanks.

The website is seriously needing an update... :?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs