ZSNES Windows Installer Project

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

LDAWG
Lurker

ZSNES Windows Installer Project

Post by LDAWG »

Below are some screenshots of my current project.
It's a Windows Installer Package for Installing and Configuring ZSNES, all from 1 executable file.

The main purpose of this topic is to get the idea out to the community, and to receive feedback.
Is this a good idea?
Is it really needed?
Can it help bring ZSNES to a broader community?
Will advanced users use it?
Should I make it to Upgrade ZSNES to newer versions, as well as Update Variables from older Config Files to newer ones?
Should I make it check for required ZSNES components, like DirectX 7.0, and give the user an error message if they need to install the components as well as web links to download them?
Is the ZSNES Team cool with this project?

Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: ZSNES Windows Installer Project

Post by Nach »

LDAWG wrote: Is this a good idea?
Looks cool.
LDAWG wrote: Is it really needed?
Probably not.
LDAWG wrote: Can it help bring ZSNES to a broader community?
Probably yes.
LDAWG wrote: Will advanced users use it?
Probably not.
LDAWG wrote: Should I make it to Upgrade ZSNES to newer versions, as well as Update Variables from older Config Files to newer ones?
That would be really really nice.
LDAWG wrote: Should I make it check for required ZSNES components, like DirectX 7.0, and give the user an error message if they need to install the components as well as web links to download them?
Needed more than above, although not as cool.
LDAWG wrote: Is the ZSNES Team cool with this project?
Yes, but to comply with GPL, you need to make the source somehow available with this. So either this is hosted in the same place source is, you have it download ZSNES from an online location which has source too, or you have the option to install source which is disabled by default.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by adventure_of_link »

Man, that's pretty cool :D
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
SquareHead
Veteran

Re: ZSNES Windows Installer Project

Post by SquareHead »

Nach wrote:
LDAWG wrote: Is the ZSNES Team cool with this project?
Yes, but to comply with GPL, you need to make the source somehow available with this. So either this is hosted in the same place source is, you have it download ZSNES from an online location which has source too, or you have the option to install source which is disabled by default.
That sounds like the easiest method, but will add to the download size a tad, will it not?

Otherwise, it looks really good.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

SquareHead wrote:That sounds like the easiest method, but will add to the download size a tad, will it not?
Yes.. but source files are just text files...which are highly compressable.

It just needs a pic.. the installer you are using should have the ability to store a simple pic for the amusement of the installation... I think this is the same installer that certain projects use (I can think of Firefox at the moment).. A simple pic using the ZSNES icon that is used for the executable should do...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Deathlike2 wrote:
SquareHead wrote:That sounds like the easiest method, but will add to the download size a tad, will it not?
Yes.. but source files are just text files...which are highly compressable.
Besides, the installer could use a better compression format than plain ZIP.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Wow, nice job on the installer. It's not really needed, but it's still nice.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Something that has always ticked me off: the end user does not have to agree to the GPL to be allowed to use the program. The GPL only comes into play when one wishes to distribute the program.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
LDAWG
Lurker

Post by LDAWG »

New Feature Selection screenshot:

Next, I'm working on making a Dialog that asks the User:
"Where are your ROMs and Saves Directories?"
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Whoa, it now comes with more stuff.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Whoa now that's a cool idea...
Although I'd really love if someone would help me work on the frontend...
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by anewuser »

LDAWG wrote:New Feature Selection screenshot:

Next, I'm working on making a Dialog that asks the User:
"Where are your ROMs and Saves Directories?"
Hello.

Just a thing, NSRT is a closed source program, you need to take it away...unless Nach has something else to say...
[url=http://www.fsf.org/resources/formats/playogg]PlayOgg[/url]
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

Nach would've said something if he minded.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

anewuser wrote: Just a thing, NSRT is a closed source program, you need to take it away...unless Nach has something else to say...
The frontend is open source and under the GPL last I checked, so you need source for that provided. NSRT itself, I don't see the issue of bundling it as long as you include everything that my official zip included.

Post by Lord Alpha »

About zbattle.net:

Why are you including it? Isn't Netply gone right now?
It is better to be silent and thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

I am Zophar, Master of Sh*t!

[url=http://archlyn.bravejournal.com]View my blog[/url]
LDAWG
Lurker

Post by LDAWG »

Thanks for the feedback!
Nach wrote:
anewuser wrote: Just a thing, NSRT is a closed source program, you need to take it away...unless Nach has something else to say...
The frontend is open source and under the GPL last I checked, so you need source for that provided. NSRT itself, I don't see the issue of bundling it as long as you include everything that my official zip included.
Thanks Nach.
I think this would be good, because when a user comes to the boards saying such and such game isn't working correctly, if they use ZSNES for Windows and the Installer, we can more easily have them run NSRT on the game in question.
This would help us better diagnose their problem.
Plus it's always just good to run NSRT straight-up on your ROMs anyway!
lord alpha wrote:About zbattle.net:

Why are you including it? Isn't Netply gone right now?
The plan is to not publicly release this Windows Installer until 1.43 is officially released.
It will hopefully have it's Netplay component restored by then (or made even better!)

I'm actually going to contact IAN on ICQ today (the creator of zbattle.net), and see if he's cool with me including his program.
I've played many times with him via ZSNES Netplay, and we also once went through a whole game of Super Mario World, together, online.
We're "internet friends" so hopefully it'll be cool.
I'm even going to ask him if I can change the default Server Address in the configuration file, because right now, the default from the installation is the wrong Address (as it recently changed).
Maybe I can even get the source code from him, but it may be a bad idea, because this will open the zbattle.net Servers to hacker attacks.

Thanks agian, everyone, for the feedback!
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Christ. It's looking great.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

It puts mine to shame.

GOOD JOB.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

LDAWG wrote:Maybe I can even get the source code from him, but it may be a bad idea, because this will open the zbattle.net Servers to hacker attacks.
If it's well-designed, having the source available will not affect server integrity at all.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
LDAWG
Lurker

Post by LDAWG »

Noxious Ninja wrote:If it's well-designed, having the source available will not affect server integrity at all.
Unfortunately, it's made to the best of Ian's ability, as far as time is concerned.
zbattle.net's Servers have been hacked at least twice since it's inception.
Also, Ian wasn't on ICQ today, so I guess I'll talk to him another time.

Anyway, here's another screenshot.
I'm currently making the Conditional Statement code for this part of the installer:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... syntax.asp

Mike
ZBoard Prince

Post by Mike »

That's a good installer.It would help the zsnes community
**Prince of the Zsnes board**
*Smash Champ*
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

LDAWG, if you get the part of the installation of specifying the ROMs folder and Saves folder to work.. that would be awesome... (since you normally have to modify zsnesw.cfg via a text editor)
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Deathlike2 wrote:(since you normally have to modify zsnesw.cfg via a text editor)
???

The savedir is editable from the gui, and the romdir is the last dir where you opened a ROM. I can set them both in ~10 seconds without opening the config file.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

grinvader wrote:The savedir is editable from the gui, and the romdir is the last dir where you opened a ROM. I can set them both in ~10 seconds without opening the config file.
Sorry.. I confused that with the snapshots folder in that paths section in the GUI..

Speaking of which.. it would be nice to have the ability to specify a savestate folder.. basically separating saves (.srm) from savestates (.zst).. I keep thinking snapshots are related to savestates.. but it was something in the older Snes9x days where you had a "Snapshots" folder called "Snesnaps"
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Why separate SRMs and ZSTs ? They are both saves...
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54