diagonal movement

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

monguin61

diagonal movement

Post by monguin61 »

I have a problem with diagonal movement while playing Chrono Trigger. I know that there are sometimes problems when pressing more than two keys, but this problem only occurs for a specific combination of keys, so I was wondering if there is another solution. In Chrono Trigger the character can move vertically, horizontally, or diagonally, and there is also a run button. For every combination of the five keys except one, there is no problem. However, when I try to run up+left, using alt+up+left, nothing happens. I can run up or left, and I can walk up+left. Does anyone have any idea why only this specific combination does not work? Thanks.
Mike
ZBoard Prince

Post by Mike »

You can walk diagonally but you can't run diagonally?
**Prince of the Zsnes board**
*Smash Champ*
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Try mapping the button you have as "alt" to another alphabet key. I can run "diagonally" in CT with no problems, although their is no diagonal animation sprite.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Some keyboards do have limitations. It is possible to map diagonals to actual keys. Gamepads also do not have this limitation.
monguin61

Post by monguin61 »

I know about the limitations of the keyboard, and I figured that the alt key might be more of a problem than an alpha key, but I guess I'm just curious as to why all of those combinations except one work. I can walk in all eight directions, and I can run in all seven of the other directions. I remapped A B X and Y to alpha keys instead of control keys and that fixed the problem, but I just don't get why there would be a problem with only one of those many combinations.
byuu

Re: diagonal movement

Post by byuu »

Does anyone have any idea why only this specific combination does not work? Thanks.
It really depends on how the actual keyboard was manufactured. By that I'm referring to the actual traces to each key inside the keyboard itself.
It's quite common to find certain combinations that let you press 3+ keys at a time, whereas 3 other keys at the same time will not work. Whereas another keyboard will let you hit those three other keys fine.
Just have to deal with it, get an n-rollover keyboard, or a gamepad :/
rlbond
Hazed

Re: diagonal movement

Post by rlbond »

monguin61 wrote:I have a problem with diagonal movement while playing Chrono Trigger. I know that there are sometimes problems when pressing more than two keys, but this problem only occurs for a specific combination of keys, so I was wondering if there is another solution. In Chrono Trigger the character can move vertically, horizontally, or diagonally, and there is also a run button. For every combination of the five keys except one, there is no problem. However, when I try to run up+left, using alt+up+left, nothing happens. I can run up or left, and I can walk up+left. Does anyone have any idea why only this specific combination does not work? Thanks.
that's your keyboard.
To truly own, you must own at all games.