So how about that there VIRTUAL REALITY stuff huh?

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: So how about that there VIRTUAL REALITY stuff huh?

Post by grinvader »

Johan_H wrote:
grinvader wrote:virii
>:U
I originally planned to use the word 'automata' in my post, as well.
LRN2NONSTANDARD PLURAL BRO :3
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

That you find it offensive is just great. Just don't get in our way when we're paving the way for the future. We wouldn't want you to have to split off your own segment of the United States, and call it the United States of Jesusland, and declare war on the transhumanist heretics.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Why you be trollin', kode?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Just because I find transhumanism to be crazy, arrogant, reckless nonsense doesn't mean I'm some right-wing nutjob. Most religious people aren't judgmental, legalistic squares, but the ones that are are generally VERY vocal. Trying to play God & creating immortal beings through a combination of genetic engineering & robotics is completely insane. If that's your idea of progress, I WANT to be backwards. It's not the medical applications that bother me(prosthetic limbs for example), it's the extremist fools that want to become "god-like" beings. If all humans bought into insane fantasies like that, the human species as we know it today would go extinct. Genetically engineered cyborg abominations would be the only "people" left, and that's a pretty fucked up future in my eyes.

In short, FUCK THAT SHIT. Just because I oppose extreme transhumanism doesn't mean I fit into some convenient right-wing religious stereotype. Your stereotype is no different than stereotyping gay people as a bunch of sissies shoving gerbils up eachothers' butts South Park style. All stereotypes are inherently closed-minded and stupid.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Or stereotyping all transhumanists as a bunch of megalomaniacs with delusions of godhood and dreams of immortality.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Or stereotyping all transhumanists as a bunch of megalomaniacs with delusions of godhood and dreams of immortality.
it's not stereotyping if it's true !

MUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Which is why I'm specifically calling out EXTREME transhumanists. I've made it abundantly clear time and time again that I'm only going after the extremists.
megamanzer0
Regular

Post by megamanzer0 »

Extreme transhumanism huh? let me just say this genetic engineering will be a thing in the future you can't stop it I can't stop it deal with it. and what I'll also say is that the point of the medical field is to prolong life if you can't see the logical conclusion to that then you aren't thinking hard enough. also are you guys really having this conversation o.0? you must be bored as fuck.
class:Trolololo
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Medicine is meant to prolong life by taking care of problems, not by creating genetically engineered half human half cyborg abominations that live forever. Just because I find such extreme transhumanist ideas offensive doesn't mean I advocate prohibiting it. Prohibition never works anyway. The whole "it'll happen; deal with it" attitude is such a weak way of thinking as well. I DO think such things will happen, but my main point is that those who advocate it need to be VERY careful, take things slow and at least try not to go too far.

Going too far to me is attempting to create immortal, genetically engineered/cyborg creatures in order to replace humans. Attempting to play God like that is dangerous, arrogant and has the potential to render humans as we are today extinct. Fuck that and God help us if that's the path technology ends up taking us in. I know being religious on the internet is "taboo", but oh well. Extreme transhumanists are fucking crazy, much crazier than even the nuttiest religious people.
megamanzer0
Regular

Post by megamanzer0 »

Honestly in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter weather or not humans go extinct its inevitable that we will go extinct. and the point I am making is that these are discussions that are going to be made by people with the knowledge and skill to do them I.E. not me or you and as such our opinion won't matter in the end. thinks will progress however fast or slow the people with the knowledge want it to.

Edit: and also prosthetics are not the future. the future is going to be direct genetic manipulation.
class:Trolololo
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:Attempting to play God like that is dangerous, arrogant and has the potential to render humans as we are today extinct.
Man as we know it is going to go extinct anyways.
The question is whether or not the genus homo dies with us.
Extreme transhumanists are fucking crazy, much crazier than even the nuttiest religious people.
All extremists are fucking crazy. That's why we call them extremists.
That said, I find "I wanna be a robot and live forever" less crazy than "I'mma get in a standoff with the FBI and then burn the building and everyone in it to the ground."
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I find "I wanna be a robot and live forever" less crazy than "I'mma get in a standoff with the FBI and then burn the building and everyone in it to the ground."
What about "I wanna be a robot to get in a standoff with the FBI and burn every building and anyone in them to the ground." ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I'd say they're both equally crazy. The violent one will naturally be looked at as being crazier because people like that represent direct, immediate threats. In other words, they create more immediate fear. However, wanting to become an immortal, genetically manipulated cyborg is pretty damn nutty. Just because there's a strong possibility we'll go extinct eventually doesn't mean we should intentionally speed up the process by creating immortal Frankenstein monsters.

Since this is a gaming forum, I'll use this analogy: "This is the eternal kingdom of Zeal where dreams can come true, but at what cost?" Extreme transhumanism is like opening Pandora's box.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:I'd say they're both equally crazy. The violent one will naturally be looked at as being crazier because people like that represent direct, immediate threats. In other words, they create more immediate fear. However, wanting to become an immortal, genetically manipulated cyborg is pretty damn nutty. Just because there's a strong possibility we'll go extinct eventually doesn't mean we should intentionally speed up the process by creating immortal Frankenstein monsters.

Since this is a gaming forum, I'll use this analogy: "This is the eternal kingdom of Zeal where dreams can come true, but at what cost?" Extreme transhumanism is like opening Pandora's box.
Chrono Trigger is a lousy source of philosophical ammunition.
But Zeal is a better argument against classism and elitism than transhumanism anyways.
The transhumanists I know of have communist leanings. They want this shit available to EVERYONE.

I strongly believe the person that is only harming himself is by definition less nutty than the person harming a few dozen people. After convincing them he's a prophet that talks to God.
I view one of these as a monster, and it's not the one you keep branding as a monster.

Also, the extreme transhumanists have no delusions about being God, or even talking to Him.

BTW, Frankenstein's monster is a poor analogy. Creature never chose to exist, and just wanted to get along. Closed-minded and judgemental people made him what he's known for.
Everyone, even his creator, shunned him. They screamed, ran away, came after him with torches and pitchforks, until finally he just went "Fuck it. You want me to be evil? FINE. I'll be as evil as you keep accusing me of being. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY." Spoilers: They weren't.
In the end, Creature kills himself to atone for his sins. Sins that were in part forced on him by those around him.

The best you can make of Frankenstein to the transhumanism argument is that the extreme transhumanists will be FORCED to fight for their right to exist. Not because they chose to, but because others shunned them, called them monsters, and tried to destroy them.
It's... not really making the case you think it is, particularly given your constant appellation of words such as abomination and monster to a class of people that doesn't even exist yet.

Of course, with their being more than one such person, the popular fiction example that may be most apt would be the X-Men. And of course, there's two groups in that one. One follows the tale of Frankenstein, the other attempts to stop Magneto and his allies even as the world continues to shun them.
One side believes they must take their right to exist by force, that they cannot stand as equals with the normal folks that fear, shun. deride, and most importantly, outnumber them. The other believes strongly that the normal folks will come around in time, that a peaceful co-existence is possible.

Tangentally, here in the real world, some folks believe that Stan Lee co-opted the civil rights movement to line his own pockets, and this is basically Martin Luther King Jr and Malcom X with super powers. I have to admit there are some striking parallels.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I simply used Frankenstein as an example of a scientifically created abomination; you're overanalyzing a bit there Gil. I used a Chrono Trigger quote because it's my favorite game and I simply like said quote. I never claimed Zeal exemplified the ideals of transhumanism, but that quote works just as well as a warning against extreme transhumanism as it does for Zeal's hubris. Hubris is what both the fake CT society and the real ideals of transhumanism share in spades.

Also, just because a person only plans to(potentially) harm him/herself doesn't make them any less nuts than a violent psychopath. Less dangerous? Definitely. Crazy is relative to a society or even a single community's ideals anyway so it's got a fairly open definition. Some of the more extreme transhumanists want to BECOME immortal, "god-like" beings, and while I don't see those people as monsters, I definitely consider them crazy as shit. Being non-violent doesn't = sanity. If you use crazy as a blanket term for highly disturbed(which is also somewhat relative) individuals, I'd say the most extreme transhumanists are up there with the violent psychos although they're not violent monsters.

I do find the most extreme elements of the transhumanist movement dangerous for our long term survival as human beings, however. Once Pandora's box is open, it's open forever. The extreme elements of the transhumanist movement are simply cutting straight to the "logical" conclusion(s) of transhumanist ideas. My main argument is that we shouldn't try to play God & that we shouldn't rush such technology because the potential risks are massive. That's not even factoring in religious objections; I have no right to force my beliefs on others. That's also why I oppose prohibition of drugs as well as banning extreme transhumanist research. Free will is vitally important.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Man, kode. You stirred this shit back up, don't just sit there and laugh.

Yuber wrote:I simply used Frankenstein as an example of a scientifically created abomination; you're overanalyzing a bit there Gil.
I just feel sorry for poor Creature. Villified and mocked forever by people who don't even TRY to understand him, just because he wasn't pretty enough to blend in.

He's just used as a go-to for emotional appeals to demonize science, when it was never science that failed.
I used a Chrono Trigger quote because it's my favorite game and I simply like said quote. I never claimed Zeal exemplified the ideals of transhumanism, but that quote works just as well as a warning against extreme transhumanism as it does for Zeal's hubris. Hubris is what both the fake CT society and the real ideals of transhumanism share in spades.
It doesn't work well for anything without context, and I dispute the hubris.
Also, just because a person only plans to(potentially) harm him/herself doesn't make them any less nuts than a violent psychopath. Less dangerous? Definitely. Crazy is relative to a society or even a single community's ideals anyway so it's got a fairly open definition.
I think believing you're a god is crazier than wanting to better yourself.
Some of the more extreme transhumanists want to BECOME immortal, "god-like" beings,
No they don't. No one wants to become a god-like being.
and while I don't see those people as monsters, I definitely consider them crazy as shit.
You keep using words like abomination, so I'm getting mixed signals here.

I do find the most extreme elements of the transhumanist movement dangerous for our long term survival as human beings, however. Once Pandora's box is open, it's open forever. The extreme elements of the transhumanist movement are simply cutting straight to the "logical" conclusion(s) of transhumanist ideas. My main argument is that we shouldn't try to play God & that we shouldn't rush such technology because the potential risks are massive.
I agree there are risks to rushing to genetic engineering(which, incidentally, IS legally restricted, if in a more knee-jerk reactionary manner than a well-reasoned response to technology). I see no such risks with cybernetics, beyond the societal upheaval that accompanies any major new technology or discovery.
You aren't making any new arguments. These same things have been said for millenia.

And protection of the status quo is as solid an argument now as it was when Galileo was imprisoned for claiming the Earth moved around the sun, Darwin was demonized for claiming that life can adapt to a changing world, or Iran/China/whoever firewalled and censored the entire internet. It doesn't really work, and it does everyone a disservice.
I bet you somewhere some caveman was saying "you am no make fire. ruin cave life. never get back."
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Give me a break, Gil. Just because I oppose the most extreme elements of the transhumanist movement doesn't mean I'm anti-science. You accuse me of using rhetoric(which I do) yet you do the same thing by trying to paint me as someone who hates the idea of ALL scientific advancement. I'm not going to spend 30 minutes searching for quotes, but there have been some programs on networks like the science channel where transhumanists actually admit that they want to become immortal, "god-like" beings.(they actually used god-like, I'm not inserting that in) Yeah I know TV isn't credible but that's essentially what the most extreme elements of the transhumanist movement want to become. I don't think such things should be prohibited nor do I want science to stagnate, but I feel that transhumanists are trying to rush this technology without even considering the potential risks. In time, I firmly believe I'll be proven right.

I think the idea of humans being transformed into genetically "enhanced" cyborgs that live forever is completely nuts. Just because you disagree with me doesn't mean my arguments aren't valid, and I've carried my argument this entire time without looking anything up just to challenge myself. In this instance though, I think we(again) need to agree to disagree because our philosophies are so different that we're not gonna find a middle ground that we can both agree with. I'm all for scientific advancement, but I feel that extreme transhumanists are taking things way too far by trying to play God. Agree to disagree yet again, Gilly-cakes. These people are completely fucking nuts.

Off topic, but I also feel bad for the poor Frankenstein creature because he never did anything to deserve all the hatred thrown at him.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

TV is actually bad about warping things for whatever will get them the most press, even if it's making it look like someone is saying EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what they're claiming.

I'm clearly wrong about no one claiming to be godlike, though. Which is odd, as there is, pretty much by definition, no scientific path to godhood.
I love the mormons.

Thank you for not using words like abomination and monster this time.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I don't use the word abomination purely as rhetoric. I genuinely consider the idea of an immortal, genetically enhanced cyborg to be an abomination. However, it's probably not the best word to use because it's so inflammatory. The only reason we re-started this debate was because of someone else butting in, so I think we should simply agree to disagree like we did before. We're polar opposites on this issue.

Maybe Mitt Romney is an example of the Mormon transhumanist dream? He's so robotic that even his laugh is fake. Obama sucks ass too, but Romney really does like some awkward robot stereotype. Dunno if it was his(lack of) personality, bad campaign advice or both.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:Maybe Mitt Romney is an example of the Mormon transhumanist dream? He's so robotic that even his laugh is fake. Obama sucks ass too, but Romney really does like some awkward robot stereotype. Dunno if it was his(lack of) personality, bad campaign advice or both.
Gore is more robotic than Romney, though. But Gore's demonstrated a greater capacity for independent thought than I would expect of a modern machine.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Good point. Gore and Romney are very similar in that I've never seen either display any semblance of emotion that seemed genuine. Gore walking up to Bush during that one debate was one of the most awkward moments in a political debate I've ever seen.(forgot the event, but Gore kissing his now ex wife was disgustingly awkward too :lol:) I dunno if they're both emotionless(sociopaths), bad in public or both. It's impossible to know things like that about people(especially in regards to diagnosing mental disorders) without actually knowing them VERY well. Gore does seem like the more intelligent one, but I agree that he's just as creepily robotic as Romney. Many politicians as well as their corporate financiers come off that way.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Hey, no associating mild-mannered sociopaths with politicians, of all things. Sheesh.
Can't get no respect.

And they wonder why some folks end up stabbed 37 times.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Some sociopaths may appear mild-mannered or even decent on the surface, but from the research I've done on the condition as well as my personal experience knowing 3 of them for very long periods of time, they're anything but. Sociopaths/psychopaths, being emotionless with no true base personalities have to basically create fake public personas for themselves. They're the most manipulative, dishonest and sadistic people in the world. Most sociopaths aren't physically violent because it's much easier to get away with mentally torturing others than it is to get away with physical violence. I suppose borderline cases can be truly mild mannered. Plus, many people diagnosed as being sociopaths are normal people that may have suffered from awful emotional and/or physical trauma, neglected etc. that caused them to shut down emotionally. There are plenty of borderline cases, but when I talk about sociopaths I'm generally referring to full-blown psychos that are 100% emotionless & have no semblance of a conscience.

Honestly, there shouldn't even be a distinction between full-blown sociopaths and psychopaths because a psychopath is basically a violent sociopath. They're basically the same disorder(even within ASPD), and all it really comes down to is how different sociopaths express their lack of emotions or conscience. I found out a former friend was a sociopath 10 years ago(had suspected for a while) when he bragged about raping women while they were literally passed out drunk and he was either sober or lightly buzzed, and when I pointed out how disgusting that was he literally didn't understand why anyone would have an issue with such behavior. He couldn't understand my disgust because he had/has no capacity for empathy. He was also VERY manipulative, pathologically dishonest and had several fake personas he used in different situations. It's normal for people to act different around different people(I don't, but most do) but this guy literally had entire, separate personas he'd use around different groups. I feel bad him in some ways, but his sadistic behavior makes it very difficult to. I cut all ties with him(and the 2 other sociopaths he was usually with) around 7 years ago.

Don't quote me on this, but I've heard part of the problem for those who were born sociopaths is a severely damaged amygdala, which apparently regulates emotion in the brain including but not limited to fear. This post is entirely from what I'm accumulated in my head(haven't looked anything up) so the spelling of amygdala as well as some other things may not be 100% accurate, but I know I'm on solid ground generally speaking.

EDIT: I think many politicians are just regular people who have become corrupted by power + they're usually being controlled by those financing(bribing) them. I have much more disdain & dislike for superPACS, big corporations and big political financiers in general because they're the ones pulling the strings behind the scenes. I'm not saying politicians are innocent(far from it), but don't the puppet masters deserve more hate than the puppets?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Yuber wrote:they're anything but.
Shhh, don't blow the dang cover.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

In all seriousness, I think sociopaths should be publicly exposed as often as possible because they hurt so many people mentally as well as physically. Naturally, you'd have to know a person very well in order to even suspect he/she is a sociopath, but I've researched and dealt with enough of them(the 3 I mentioned are the ones I'm 99.99999+% sure about; there have been many others I've suspected) that I can usually spot sociopathic tendencies before said people are able to manipulate me into thinking they're someone they're not. I can be deceived like everyone else, but I'm very confident in my knowledge of these conditions without even using external sources.

Basically, I've researched the condition for over 6 years in order to avoid(and spot) sociopaths. I think most politicians are just overambitious jackasses who have been gradually conditioned to lie, mislead and manipulate peoples' emotions. Their financiers are probably more likely to be sociopaths than the politicians themselves, although I suspect a significant percentage of politicians are at least borderline. You can never really know a person's true personality(or lack thereof) unless you've known them very well for years. Although I dislike Obama as well, the thing that always creeped me out about Romney was his empty, fake ass laugh. He got around 47% of the vote too :lol: