SO stuffage

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Tomato
Hazed

SO stuffage

Post by Tomato »

Though I don't have time for ROM translating anymore, I'd really like to change a lot of the names and stuff to match SO3's translation. SO3 makes a lot of references to SO1 stuff, and the translation/localization is absolute top-notch, so I'd definitely like to tweak the SO1 script.

Stuff like "Lesonia" instead of "Rezonia" (or whatever I called it), Planet Styx instead of Planet Stream (not sure how they got Styx, but whatever), Cratos instead of Clatos, Daemonium instead of Demon World, Asmodeous instead of Asmodeos, and so on and so forth. But hey, at least "Roak" was the same ;)

So Cidolfas, if you're around, would you be up to making these changes? I don't have any of the latest scripts or tools, and I haven't talked to DF in a long time.

PS Being able to visit a certain SO1 location in SO3 made my day :)
neviksti
Lurker

Re: SO stuffage

Post by neviksti »

Tomato wrote:... Planet Styx instead of Planet Stream (not sure how they got Styx, but whatever)...
Far off guess, but Styx was a river/stream/water/whatever.
It was in greek mythology and was for crossing over into limbo/heaven/hell or place for the passed on in general. I haven't played the game, but would these connotations somehow make the word more fitting?
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Maybe they were a fan of "Mr. Roboto". :p
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
MorteTheSkull
Hazed

Post by MorteTheSkull »

Yeah, Styx was one of the 7(?) streams leading to Hades. Achilles was dipped in it to become immortal, but his idiot of a mom held him by the heel when she dipped him.
Oh, and I could be wrong, but wasn't Asmodeus a jewish term for the king of deomons? (though later referenced as a minor trickster demon)
"Did you see the way that female zombie was looking at me?"
"You're imagining things, Morte."
DarkDragoon
Soul Hacker

Post by DarkDragoon »

MorteTheSkull wrote: Oh, and I could be wrong, but wasn't Asmodeus a jewish term for the king of deomons? (though later referenced as a minor trickster demon)
Yup.

From Dictionary.com:

As·mo·de·us-A spirit originally viewed as king of the demons in Jewish demonology and later as a mischievous sprite.
Toot toot Sonic Warrior, deep in space and time
Toot toot Sonic Warrior, forever in your mind
Nothing can survive the will to stay alive
'cause if you try, you can do anything
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

Yep. In fact, the original Japanese spelled it wrong: they did "Asdemous". 8p They also had Seraphina as "Resafina". Man, was this game ever rushed. -_-

I'd like to keep Asmodeus and Rezonia (because the first one is correct and the second one is actually said out loud in the intro). I don't mind doing the rest though. On the downside, I haven't heard from DF in a long, long time (although I have seen him on ICQ), so even if I do make those changes there isn't much of a guarantee that you'll see a patch with them. -_-
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

I might also point out that for once, "Earth Grave" has been named "Earth Glaive." All the other differences I noticed were pointed out already.
Everything I say is a lie.
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

We've already discussed that one. 8-)
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

I just didn't want it to be forgotten. I remember the discussion.
Everything I say is a lie.
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

I would also like to point out again that it -is- Grave in the official US Tales releases :)
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

Can't anyone make up their minds ;)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

MorteTheSkull wrote: Oh, and I could be wrong, but wasn't Asmodeus a jewish term for the king of deomons? (though later referenced as a minor trickster demon)
No. But close.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/tmm/tmm05.htm
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Cidolfas »

Asmodeus is the English term for Ashmedai, like Jacob is the translation for Yaakov or Isaac for Yitzchak.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Cidolfas wrote:Asmodeus is the English term for Ashmedai, like Jacob is the translation for Yaakov or Isaac for Yitzchak.
Yes, but I was referring more to the minor trickster part.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by MorteTheSkull »

You notice in the older Jewish stories, demons aren't particularly evil, just mischevious. I've always thought that was interesting.
"Did you see the way that female zombie was looking at me?"
"You're imagining things, Morte."
DarkDragoon
Soul Hacker

Post by DarkDragoon »

If I remember correctly, demons really didn't gain a negative connotation until Christianity became really big during the dark/middle ages.
Toot toot Sonic Warrior, deep in space and time
Toot toot Sonic Warrior, forever in your mind
Nothing can survive the will to stay alive
'cause if you try, you can do anything
cowfez

Post by cowfez »

DarkDragoon wrote:If I remember correctly, demons really didn't gain a negative connotation until Christianity became really big during the dark/middle ages.
You must be really, really old... :shock:
Cidolfas
Hazed

Post by Cidolfas »

That's because according to Jewish beliefs, there is no "evil". Both what we perceive as evil and good come from God (apart from the kind that comes from people), and demons, like angels, are just God's "servants". For example, the original job of Satan, meaning "adversary", in the Talmud, was simply the prosecutor in the trial of judgment for a soul.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

The Talmud has stories of Demon's doing good and helping others.
Demon's according to Jewish belief have a certain degree of free will just as humans do. It'd be hard to catagorize a species as evil if they have free will.

Post by Louis Cypher »

Cidolfas wrote:For example, the original job of Satan, meaning "adversary", in the Talmud, was simply the prosecutor in the trial of judgment for a soul.
He does that in SMT2 as well.
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Louis Cypher wrote:
Cidolfas wrote:For example, the original job of Satan, meaning "adversary", in the Talmud, was simply the prosecutor in the trial of judgment for a soul.
He does that in SMT2 as well.
It is also one of the reasons of the so called "Devil's Advocate." I *think* there was still a Devil's Advocate in the Catholic Church, But Pope John Paul II got rid of it.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.