pSX emulator v1.13 released!

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

That kind of stuff has yet to be determined as the focus is on other things (more of PSX Accurate Emulation [and bits of PS2 emulations <nothing major>]) and whatnot.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

Well I tinkered with the games I have and found something interesting , keep in mind I tested using images I made using alcohol 120

Tested a later bios and worked perfectly fine

GameShark loaded up like any other PSX game , and worked like a normal PSX would , select what cheats to use and hit start , it said swap the disc , and disc swapping works without a reset , it loaded up the game I wanted to play and the cheats worked normally

Disc swapping also worked perfectly fine with Monster Rancher , I even generated a monster using a dreamcast image

So IMO , this PSX emulator is the best I've messed with , and most of it comes from no plugins...

Now if I could find the same for N64...
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

ReRuss wrote:Now if I could find the same for N64...
Seconded.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

creaothceann wrote:
ReRuss wrote:Now if I could find the same for N64...
Seconded.
Thirded.

<.<
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Are there emulators that attempt that? It doesn't have to run full-speed, or even have all the features.

</ot>
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

Mess is working on a accurate n64 emulator, but its still in its infancy
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

At this time, Mupen64(k)/1964 and PJ64 are the best emulators around. Even though I still experience random crashes at times. There is no real active development on all of them (I can tell as I have participated in the beta-program for PJ64). Development is real slow if not standing still. Mupen64k is getting small updates these days though (check emulation64.com). The thing I find most annoying is the vast variety of plugins and their countless internal options you can set and their combinations. I've been looking forward to a real accurate (there was a discussion about how accurate you can go for N64 emulation) and all-in-one N64 emulator for a long time, as most are here.
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

amen to that, extra features are great and all but having something solid, stable and accurate would be amazing and wonderful. 'nuff said.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
kamaitachi
Rookie

Post by kamaitachi »

ShadowFX wrote: I've been looking forward to a real accurate (there was a discussion about how accurate you can go for N64 emulation) and all-in-one N64 emulator for a long time, as most are here.
Could you supply a link to that discussion, please?

v v v Thank you! v v v
Last edited by kamaitachi on Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

kamaitachi wrote:
ShadowFX wrote: I've been looking forward to a real accurate (there was a discussion about how accurate you can go for N64 emulation) and all-in-one N64 emulator for a long time, as most are here.
Could you supply a link to that discussion, please?
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=34107
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

is it possible at all to use the ps2 BIOS to apply the "improvements" in PSX emulation?

while the quick read thing is moot, the texture smoothing would be nice. i'm asking here to see if it's feasible at all, or not worth the time of bringing up at the actual psX forums.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

Simple answer: NO

Complex answer: If and when psx author finishes up the ps2 emulation, it "might" be possible
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

okay.

the only downside is the ugliness at fullscreen for me. but i still can't go back to epsxe after using this one.
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

If the author has any interest in doing so (as I imagine it would be a big time investment) perhaps he could implement OpenGL2 with custom shader support. There are a lot of shaders already available for Pete's OGL2 plugin for ePSXe, and they're pretty easy to customise. Probably wouldn't lead to a HQ2X filter (as that one's rather slow) but 2xSaI has already been done.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

sweener2001 wrote:is it possible at all to use the ps2 BIOS to apply the "improvements" in PSX emulation?

while the quick read thing is moot, the texture smoothing would be nice. i'm asking here to see if it's feasible at all, or not worth the time of bringing up at the actual psX forums.
why not run PCSX2 in conjunction with psx games? or does it not support that?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i was grasping at ways to improve the graphics in psX. i doubt my computer could handle pcsx2, even if it were just for ps1 games.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

franpa wrote:
sweener2001 wrote:is it possible at all to use the ps2 BIOS to apply the "improvements" in PSX emulation?

why not run PCSX2 in conjunction with psx games? or does it not support that?
I'm pretty sure they haven't implemented ps1 emulation into their code... at least, not yet. I recall them wanting to nail down the actual ps2 emulation better before throwing the additional ps1 code into the mix.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

and then there's that.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

(Random post really)

wow...Last time I checked psX was quite a few versions ago and holy sh*t...this is incontestably the best PS1 emulator around. I can't understand why anyone would want to stick with the plugin-hell system of ePSXe and similar emulators (ok...it's possible to get "better" than native PS1 resolution gfx" that way)

Not to mention that, while it doesn't have 100% compatibility, it has better compatibility and plays some of the harder to emulate games that others PS1 emulators (afaik) can't play like Vib Ribbon for example.

Great stuff and thanks goes to the psx emulator author.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

yeah it is a great emulator.

I've never really had any trouble with compatibility with the games I play in any psx emulator. I am sad that he doesn't support higher than native resolutions though as that is the only thing that makes other emus even worth using 90% of the time (there are other things too I'm sure like shaders and whatnot, I wonder if anyone has ever done high resolution texture projects for psx games)
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

The only problems I have of it is some of my ISO-ripped games are in a format pSX doesn't like. Also a lack of gaussian interpolation is noticeable. Other that that, I can't wait till version 1.14!
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Snark wrote:(Random post really)

wow...Last time I checked psX was quite a few versions ago and holy sh*t...this is incontestably the best PS1 emulator around. I can't understand why anyone would want to stick with the plugin-hell system of ePSXe and similar emulators (ok...it's possible to get "better" than native PS1 resolution gfx" that way)

Not to mention that, while it doesn't have 100% compatibility, it has better compatibility and plays some of the harder to emulate games that others PS1 emulators (afaik) can't play like Vib Ribbon for example.

Great stuff and thanks goes to the psx emulator author.
Some games still run/work better in ePSXe/PCSX. Those are pretty much in the minority, however.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:The only problems I have of it is some of my ISO-ripped games are in a format pSX doesn't like. Also a lack of gaussian interpolation is noticeable. Other that that, I can't wait till version 1.14!
1- PLEASE don't use programs that produce "ISO" format. Those are usually crap. Why do people STILL use crappy programs like ISObuster or nero when much superior applications for image making exist, such as CloneCD or Alcohol Programs? Programs that were actually MADE to properly clone discs...God.../rant*

2- For format unsupported by pSX emu, you can try mounting whatever image you made in a virtual drive and point pSXemu to it.

*Just to give a very recent example: I just found on a forum a rare ps1-N game which I couldn't found elsewhere (If push came to shove I could always buy it for like 40$ on ebay edit wait, it's actually closer to 75$....)

Of course, as luck would have it...the image didn't worked! :D yay! :roll:
That is, it didn't worked on a real (modded) PS1 but worked on emulators...which I guess was the only platform it was tested on...

Anyway, I had to make an image from the disc image with Alcohol for it to finally work on the console. Yes, I know, that's almost as bad as making iso+mp3 crap but that was the only way.

Aaaanyway.......... Bottomline that's what happens when people KEEP insisting on using inferior programs.

Heck I'd wager the pSX author had his load of headache due to faulty images that introduced false bug reports, similar to the header/no header interleave/desinterleaved stuff on the Snes...but 10x worse.
Last edited by Snark on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Snark wrote:
neo_bahamut1985 wrote:The only problems I have of it is some of my ISO-ripped games are in a format pSX doesn't like. Also a lack of gaussian interpolation is noticeable. Other that that, I can't wait till version 1.14!
1- PLEASE don't use programs that produce "ISO" format. Those are usually crap. Why do people STILL use crappy programs like ISObuster or nero when much superior applications for image making exist, such as CloneCD or Alcohol Programs? Programs that were actually MADE to properly clone discs...God.../rant*

2- For format unsupported by pSX emu, you can try mounting whatever image you made in a virtual drive and point pSXemu to it.

*Just to give a very recent example: I just found on a forum a rare ps1-J game which I couldn't found elsewhere (If push came to shove I could always buy it for like 40$ on ebay edit wait, it's actually closer to 75$....)

Of course, as luck would have it...the image didn't worked! :D yay! :roll:
That is, it didn't worked on a real (modded) PS1 but worked on emulators...which I guess was the only platform it was tested on...

Anyway, I had to make an image from the disc image with Alcohol for it to finally work on the console. Yes, I know, that's almost as bad as making iso+mp3 crap but that was the only way.

Aaaanyway.......... Bottomline that's what happens when people KEEP insisting on using inferior programs.

Heck I'd wager the pSX author had his load of headache due to faulty images that introduced false bug reports, similar to the header/no header interleave/desinterleaved stuff on the Snes...but 10x worse.
I have a copy of RType Delta in NRG format for some reason.

What game was your problem title, anyways?
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I have a copy of RType Delta in NRG format for some reason.

What game was your problem title, anyways?
'Pandemonium' (first one, I thought the second one weren't as good). Relatively easy to find in Pal but not NTSC (it's possible to "convert" the pal game to ntsc but that introduce plenty of problems)
edited: previous post. Game is obviously N-region not J

It's a 2.5D platformer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t9U4DPjW_M

...Seems there's a PC version actually.
Last edited by Snark on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.