pSX emulator v1.13 released!

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

yeah I can't map the keys 'c' or 'b' and while this isn't really a bug, it would be infinitely awesome if raising the resolution allowed for clearer, less pixilated polygonal viewing. That would GREATLY improve the worth of the emulator in my opinion, but if it isn't a goal of the author then it's not a problem, it is still a great emulator, I just thought I would throw that out there.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

It seems that keys A-D are not working, maybe just a missing variable pSX Author forgot. I will post this at the forums.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

So, currently, how does this emulator compare to ePSXe? Is it generally considered the best now? I don't own any PlayStation games, so I'm unable to test.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

it depends on what you're looking for. ePSXe still offers more extra features, filters etc.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

pSX is a far far far more accurate, compatible emulator. It is also a "load and play" emulator, whereas ePSXe requires a lot of plugin fiddling to get many games to work.

That being said, ePSXe offers hardware GPU processing. While bad from an emulation accuracy standpoint, it allows for higher quality polygon rendering/texturing. pSX emulates the playstation far more accurate, resulting in an uglier picture that looks like a Playstation.

ePSXe will run some games pSX won't (I think) but typically with mad game hax on ePSXe's part. pSX has no game hacks at all.
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

I've had to do very little plugin fiddling with ePSXe, especially with Pete's OpenGL 2 plugin.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Thanks for the information. I may see if I can borrow a few PlayStation games from a friend soon so that I can try it out.
zack
Rookie

Post by zack »

kevman wrote:pSX is a far far far more accurate, compatible emulator. It is also a "load and play" emulator, whereas ePSXe requires a lot of plugin fiddling to get many games to work.

ePSXe will run some games pSX won't (I think) but typically with mad game hax on ePSXe's part. pSX has no game hacks at all.
far more accurate??? I don't think so.
just look at the psx compatibility list.
http://psx.silvanthalas.com/psxcompatibility.html
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

Don't confuse accuracy with compatibility (although that may not necessarily apply in this case).
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

this is true, and yet if it were 100% accurate, then all games would work, and if it were 90% accurate, the majority of the games would work, so there is SOME correlation.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

this discussion already happened. if an emulator used nothing but hacks to obtain 100% compatibility, and something else uses 0 hacks for ~50%, which is more accurate.

using compatibility alone can't really tell you how accurate an emu is. unless you know for a fact that it's hack-free
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

No one but the author could tell us how accurate it is. But if you take into account current compatibility, regressions at such a low compatibility, and its fairly low system reqs, we might assume it's not out to be an accurate emulator, but just another personal project that was kindly released to the public.

ePSXe is capable of much greater compatibility, but it requires you to mess with plug-in combinations on a per-game basis. But you can get most any game to work right if you're diligent enough. Personally, I find this method of "emulation" revolting, not to mention its driven the scene right into a state of complacence. Because (a) the best way to improve upon it is to write a whole new emulator and (b) it's just good enough and just popular enough to prevent psx-loving talent from doing it.
www.zapatabase.com
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

FitzRoy wrote:No one but the author could tell us how accurate it is.
Or someone who looks at the open-source code.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
byuu

Post by byuu »

Jipcy wrote:Or someone who looks at the open-source code.
While I realize your comment was in general, this being a PSX emulator thread: I believe we're still in the dark ages for PSX emulation: all of the popular emulators are still closed source (at least, pSX and ePSXe are, AFAIK). Gotta beat that competition, right?
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

pSX source is closed for legal reasons.

Except for pSX there is no other emulators being developed at a low level except for the psx emulation in MAME/MESS smf is making some progress though.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

byuu wrote:While I realize your comment was in general, this being a PSX emulator thread: I believe we're still in the dark ages for PSX emulation: all of the popular emulators are still closed source (at least, pSX and ePSXe are, AFAIK). Gotta beat that competition, right?
tetsuo55 wrote:pSX source is closed for legal reasons.

Except for pSX there is no other emulators being developed at a low level except for the psx emulation in MAME/MESS smf is making some progress though.
Go MESS (/MAME), Go!
byuu

Post by byuu »

tetsuo55 wrote:pSX source is closed for legal reasons.
Though unfortunate, that is inconsequential.
galamonth
Rookie

Post by galamonth »

new version 1.12 is out
After a long absence I've finally gotten around to releasing v1.12
Changes in this release :

- Fixed crash on startup with -f command line option

- Fixed SPU bug that caused FF8 FMV audio to stop sometimes

- Fixed bug that prevented some keys being mapped to controllers

- Fixed bug where window size/position was reset when using fast forward

- Added support for Alcohol 120% MDF/MDS images

- Fake subcode in track gaps (required for TombRaider1)

- Fixed Syphon Filter boot hang

- Fixed infinite loop in Tekken3 and Deception3

- Changed 384 mode to 364 which seems to be correct (based on TombRaider)

- Fixed aspect ratio correction for 5:4

http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com

btw: I have now switched to Visual Studio 2k5, I am unsure of whether or not the current .exe will work in Windows 98/ME. If someone would like to try that it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
pSX Author
romhackhispano.org Spanish Translations
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

pSX Author wrote:I am unsure of whether or not the current .exe will work in Windows 98/ME. If someone would like to try that it would be much appreciated.
I can always run up a install of win98 in vmware and try it that way
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Mr. Business

Post by Mr. Business »

Out of curiosity, has anyone else played Symphony of the Night for an extended period of time on pSX? It may just be the iso I ripped, but I find that if I sit around in one area for long enough, the music will eventually just stop playing, and sometimes the game will simply lock up if I attempt to access the menu or travel to a different area of the castle (i.e. travel through one of the transition hallways). Usually I can make the game stop locking up by reloading the cd image, but that usually corrupts the current area's tileset until one travels to a new area (I'm guessing because it botches the data currently in the virtual PSX's ram) until new data is loaded from the cd/iso.

Can anyone confirm this bug? I examined the thread for any mention of this bug, but saw none.

edit: from what I've seen thus far, v1.12 has fixed this bug.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

Mr. Business wrote:Out of curiosity, has anyone else played Symphony of the Night for an extended period of time on pSX? It may just be the iso I ripped, but I find that if I sit around in one area for long enough, the music will eventually just stop playing, and sometimes the game will simply lock up if I attempt to access the menu or travel to a different area of the castle (i.e. travel through one of the transition hallways). Usually I can make the game stop locking up by reloading the cd image, but that usually corrupts the current area's tileset until one travels to a new area (I'm guessing because it botches the data currently in the virtual PSX's ram) until new data is loaded from the cd/iso.

Can anyone confirm this bug? I examined the thread for any mention of this bug, but saw none.

I can fully confirm this. It's happening here too, and eventually 1.12 froze here as well by entering some other area, it took a while though but it happens.

Very nice release indeed, my request for a fix for 5:4 monitors got in as well :)
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
Mika

Post by Mika »

Mr. Business wrote:Out of curiosity, has anyone else played Symphony of the Night for an extended period of time on pSX? It may just be the iso I ripped, but I find that if I sit around in one area for long enough, the music will eventually just stop playing, and sometimes the game will simply lock up if I attempt to access the menu or travel to a different area of the castle (i.e. travel through one of the transition hallways). Usually I can make the game stop locking up by reloading the cd image, but that usually corrupts the current area's tileset until one travels to a new area (I'm guessing because it botches the data currently in the virtual PSX's ram) until new data is loaded from the cd/iso.

I haven't tested with 1.12, but there are a bunch of threads on the pSX forums about SoTN and the lockup bug on earlier versions.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

pSX 1.13 has been releeased.
Changes in this release:

* Added Korean, Bosnian, Serbian and Icelandic translations
* Added some missing translations to Linux build
* Debugger DMA capture buffer now autoresizes
* Fixed streaming music in Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius
* Fixed bug when setting sound frequency in Windows
* Implemented volume and mute in Linux
* Fixed "missing body parts" bug in Deception 3
* Fixed bug that caused XA audio in Deception 3 to not stop correctly
* Fixed random crash in Road Rash: Jailbreak
* Fixed debugger crash when emulator is reading from CD
* Fixed hang opening CD images in Linux
* Per-user settings for Linux (.ini file is now stored in ~/.pSX)
* Removed SSE instructions used during init (should fix crash on AMD CPUs)
* Fixed GTK warnings when clicking window close button in Linux

Please note that the Linux version now stores its settings in ~/.pSX although it will read psx.ini from the same directory as the .exe if it exists.

http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com
I'd like to add that the XA fix has also fixed some other games like "Crash Team Racing" which appeared to have similar problems on XA.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Thanks for the update! Time to give it a download.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

Thise emulator seems to work great , I played a bit of harvest moon with it

I wonder if extras like video filters and GS are going to be added later , I'm gonna have to try it now on a dual shock game...
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss