pSX emulator v1.13 released!

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

right, but unfortunately I don't have a japanese PSOne or japanese PS2.

I have a US PS2, but that is probably no help.

I don't really care about using a backup as I have the real disk.

Again I must stress that the game boots and functions fine in pSX through all the menus until I try to start a new game, and it also runs into the new game and I would assume through the entire game in eSPXe, but I was hoping to play it in pSX, and for some reason it is running into an error there.
Last edited by Panzer88 on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Dullaron wrote:Tell you the truth. Nobody can rip psx cds perfect. Here is why. The whole cd can't be rip with the protection. If cd was rip fully then you should be able to play on psx machine without a mod chip after burn onto cd. There noway it can be done.

Yea we can do this way. http://redump.org/guide/cddumping/ But it doesn't work on psx machine without a mod chip after burn onto cd.

My point is everyone not doing this right. Until someone find the way to make a perfect dump and got the copies that works on psx machine without a mod chip.
This isn't quite correct. The rips CAN be perfect; however, PSX media has a non-standard identifier. This can't be duplicated with a standard CD-R as that identifier is set at time of manufacture. I recall that some CD-Rs with the appropriate identifier WERE manufactured for a short time, but they quickly disappeared from the market (likely due to legal reasons).
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

odditude wrote:
Dullaron wrote:Tell you the truth. Nobody can rip psx cds perfect. Here is why. The whole cd can't be rip with the protection. If cd was rip fully then you should be able to play on psx machine without a mod chip after burn onto cd. There noway it can be done.

Yea we can do this way. http://redump.org/guide/cddumping/ But it doesn't work on psx machine without a mod chip after burn onto cd.

My point is everyone not doing this right. Until someone find the way to make a perfect dump and got the copies that works on psx machine without a mod chip.
This isn't quite correct. The rips CAN be perfect; however, PSX media has a non-standard identifier. This can't be duplicated with a standard CD-R as that identifier is set at time of manufacture. I recall that some CD-Rs with the appropriate identifier WERE manufactured for a short time, but they quickly disappeared from the market (likely due to legal reasons).
so... I HAVE an original, so what could the problem be?

is there anyway I can play it on my US PS2 maybe (without modding)? would I have to buy another US playstation game and mem card? or maybe action replay or gameshark or something?
Last edited by Panzer88 on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

odditude wrote:This isn't quite correct. The rips CAN be perfect; however, PSX media has a non-standard identifier. This can't be duplicated with a standard CD-R as that identifier is set at time of manufacture. I recall that some CD-Rs with the appropriate identifier WERE manufactured for a short time, but they quickly disappeared from the market (likely due to legal reasons).
Hmmm... I never heard of this before. Well if those cd-r been pull from the market then that sucks.
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

my guess is it's some kind of copy protection or region protection screen. But I have the original disk and I have tried using bioses from every region.

also I know the memory cards are formatted, and I also have tried different controllers.

I don't understand why it will work in ePSXe but not pSX. it even boots fine in pSX, but just will NOT start a new game.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i can't remember if psX has layer disabling or not, but if it does, it might be possible to isolate the text and see what exactly the error says.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

no there isn't although they have some debug features which have proven useless as far as I can tell (to this current situation)

what I did do is play through the introduction and save in ePSXe, save on the memory card, and then do a memory card conversion with the program memcardRex version 0.8 from ePSXe format to pSX format memory card and the file loaded in pSX without a problem.

This should be my solution but the authors of pSX should still look into what is causing this to happen.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Panzer88 wrote:what I did do is play through the introduction and save in ePSXe, save on the memory card, and then do a memory card conversion with the program memcardRex version 0.8 from ePSXe format to pSX format memory card and the file loaded in pSX without a problem.
I could have swore they both used raw memory card files and not some special format. At least, the files are interchangeable without any conversion here. Although both expect a different filename extension.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

psX fails at some japanese titles protections. I have LoM (j) working fine on the console but not so in the emu.

Your issue might be related.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

I think you are right grinvader, some other dude on the pSX forum had a problem with the japanese version of Ape Escape, with the exact same error message.

http://psxemulator.proboards54.com/inde ... 954&page=1

I guess pSX could use some work after all, I hope they address this.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Since we're talking about PSX emulators, I'll mention this:

Is it just me or does ePSXe 1.7 fuck up the memory card files somehow? Because for some time I've noticed that if I create an empty memory card file and save - the game saves and loads properly, but the card's contents are messed up when viewed in the Memory Card Manager (i.e. P2 Innocent Sin save doesn't even show up even through it's there, or saves from certain games take far more blocks than they should, i.e. ToP taking up three blocks when in reality it only takes one).

Also, all the other emulators I've tried, including pSX IIRC, should the same kind of weird memcard structure in the manager window. I don't know if that means anything (and by all accounts shouldn't) but I have quite a few memory card files all in one place.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

it displayed just fine for me but then again I just had 1 Metal Gear Solid save file on it at the time.

SEVERAL WEEKS LATER:

well, I just finished disk one of MGS Integral and it's great stuff. I had completely forgotten about this disk problem which I had found a sort of workaround for.

Well sure enough when I tried to switch to disk 2 of course I ran into the same error screen that loading a new game on disk one with pSX gave me.

Well I went to do the same old work around with ePSXe but it is having problems right now so I'm literally stuck until I can get ePSXe to work with my MGS Integral disk 2, or the pSX author fixes his emu so I don't run into this region error screen or whatever it is.

Sadly there seems to be zero activity on pSX or their boards. I know no emu project is truly dead, but it looks like I'll have to be waiting a LONG time before I can resume the game.
Gamesoul Master

Post by Gamesoul Master »

kode54 wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:what I did do is play through the introduction and save in ePSXe, save on the memory card, and then do a memory card conversion with the program memcardRex version 0.8 from ePSXe format to pSX format memory card and the file loaded in pSX without a problem.
I could have swore they both used raw memory card files and not some special format. At least, the files are interchangeable without any conversion here. Although both expect a different filename extension.
They both use the same raw formats. pSX looks for both MCR and MCD same as ePSXe does (and both look for a couple other barely-used formats that the other doesn't).

And yeah, things have been looking pretty grim over on the pSX forums. pSX Author had reported progress towards v1.14 quite a while ago, but hasn't even logged in for months now. Nothing much left to report either, with just about all current problems reported.

@Panzer88: Wow... I was about to reply to your post, and then noticed right beforehand that you already posted this problem over in the proper forums too. I'll just hit you up there, since it's better to (hopefully) resolve the problem in the official forums than here.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

The pSX Author is probably busy in real life.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Gamesoul Master

Yes, that's a very easy thing to say. It's also something that we'd all completely understand. Only one thing suspicious about that...

If you were pSX Author, and you were frequently checking the forums, and keeping people relatively updated on how pSX is going, and still offering help on certain questions that people have... If you became more busy in real life (and I mean *extremely* busy, like working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, and dealing with issues at home between all that work and trying to get some sleep), can you honestly say that after exactly 6 months (today is the 6 month mark for him not logging in at all), you would not *once* log in to at least let everybody know that life has been horribly busy and it'll be a long while before there's any updates on pSX?

Or at the very least, with all the progress he said he made on v1.14, why didn't he at least release what he had accomplished (which had included some bug fixes I believe he said), so that people would have the better, less buggy version for the long period of time that he'd be away? It just doesn't seem like he suddenly became busy in life. I would imagine that he has enough respect for his large fan base that he would've said *something* to *somebody* (even if only some friends on IRC that would've in turn let us know that he'd be away for a long while, even if they couldn't say why).

And no, I'm not bashing on pSX Author at all. I'm actually *worried*. I'm starting to get concerned that something physically happened to him, that is keeping him from getting to a computer to even let somebody on the internet know that he's gonna be away for a while. It just doesn't seem likely that his life would suddenly get so busy that he'd go from logging in at least once a week and talking to people on IRC, to suddenly going completely silent and seeming to disappear off the face of the earth, unless something really bad happened.
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

Agozer wrote:Since we're talking about PSX emulators, I'll mention this:

Is it just me or does ePSXe 1.7 fuck up the memory card files somehow? Because for some time I've noticed that if I create an empty memory card file and save - the game saves and loads properly, but the card's contents are messed up when viewed in the Memory Card Manager (i.e. P2 Innocent Sin save doesn't even show up even through it's there, or saves from certain games take far more blocks than they should, i.e. ToP taking up three blocks when in reality it only takes one).

Also, all the other emulators I've tried, including pSX IIRC, should the same kind of weird memcard structure in the manager window. I don't know if that means anything (and by all accounts shouldn't) but I have quite a few memory card files all in one place.
Its just you :P, lol, nah its probably just how the game saves, i've not noticed it on any of my own games.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

pSX Author doesn't have to log on the forums to see how things are doing. :roll:

If his program no longer being update for 2-3 years then he done with wasting his life on it. Nobody can change that.

I do know that I saw some snapshots on ps2 games being working on the pSX. Have you even thought about maybe he been very busy on it rather than pop up and say hi to everyone?
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Squall_Leonhart wrote:
Agozer wrote:Since we're talking about PSX emulators, I'll mention this:

Its just you :P, lol, nah its probably just how the game saves, i've not noticed it on any of my own games.
Well yeah, I had no problems either until I just noticed one day what was happening.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Dullaron wrote:If his program no longer being update for 2-3 years then he done with wasting his life on it. Nobody can change that.
You know, it probably will turn into another ePSXe where he'll just announce LOL NO IM NOT DEAD THERE'S ACTUALLY GR8 PROGRESS WITH MY EMULATOR then release a new version a month or two later, which ended up being uberawesome.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

except that pSXAuthor is actually someone that actively participates in discussion (#pcsx2 chan on efnet).....
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
Gamesoul Master

http://psxemulator.proboards54.com/inde ... ge=1#26252

Good news indeed. Yeah, didn't realize he was still in communication with people, as I hadn't heard anything about it until just a little while ago. I'm just glad to hear he's doing alright. Wasn't really so concerned about pSX itself as I was about him, with not hearing anything about him for so long. I know in the scene, it happens, but he's never struck me as the type to just disappear like that.
Gary_Oak
Rookie

Post by Gary_Oak »

It's been almost three months ever since we got confirmation that both pSX and its author were still alive and kickin, yet still no release. :(
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Patience is what you need.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
h4tred

Post by h4tred »

Don't forget the person is a professional game dev. Last time I heard, he was working on Crashday 2's graphics engine or something.....

Most devs/emu devs are like that: Aaron Giles works for LucasArts, MooglyGuy works for a division at Activision, the SDL dev works for Blizzard, Shashclp is in a demoscene group.....
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

doesn't Tomato translate games for a living?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.