pSX emulator v1.13 released!

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Clements
Randomness

pSX emulator v1.13 released!

Post by Clements »

A totally new PSX emulator called 'pSX emulator' has been released. The emulator works with most games and is highly compatible.

The interesting thing about this emulator is that is does not use plugins, which may please some people. It also has a debugger meant to help translators.

Edit:

New homepage is here:

http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/
Last edited by Clements on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

This is a great first release, and I like the "keep things integrated" strategy. I hate configuring stuff per game, it is extremely annoying. My problem with this emu is it does not yet support the clonecd img format, only bin/cue. I ripped my whole friggin library with clonecd because I heard it creates a perfect copy by reading subchannel information. And let's face it, there are really only 3 kinds of images to support, so not supporting this fairly popular and modern method of ripping is kind of ridiculous. Since I couldn't run from the iso, I tried mounting my images to a virtual drive and using the cd read. Nope, doesn't work either because it wants aspi. Installed forceaspi 1.8, still doesn't work, gives me an error message. Needless to say, my hands are in the air.
www.zapatabase.com
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

how does this program stack up compared to the other PSX emulators?
bringing Zsnes back
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Very nice.
However like all the other good emulators it's closed source. :evil:
Which is a major issue for emulators these days.

Can't add features, can't port it, etc...

Interesting to note the Author wants to remain totally anonymous, at least we know he's British ;)
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Hyos »

Nach wrote:Very nice.
However like all the other good emulators it's closed source. :evil:
Which is a major issue for emulators these days.

Can't add features, can't port it, etc...

Interesting to note the Author wants to remain totally anonymous, at least we know he's British ;)
On the other hand, if anyone can add features you have to chose one version you like without features of the other versions, it almost always is a trade-off, I experienced this with VBA and DOSBox the most.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

OH GOD YES.

Honestly, Plug-ins are evil. Let's see if I can play Megaman Legends with it.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

Joe Camacho wrote:OH GOD YES.

Honestly, Plug-ins are evil. Let's see if I can play Megaman Legends with it.
There is a port of MegaMan Legends for PC. No port of part 2, though.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Well, I posted on his forum and he is apparently going to add support for clonecd. Yay. From what I've used so far, I don't get full speed or something because I have to keep frame skipping enabled to prevent the audio from stuttering.
www.zapatabase.com
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

this seems nice.

finally get to play my legend of mana without worrying about plug-ins. i HATE plug-ins.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Can anyone confirm that this thing's clean? (i.e virus free). I'm not asking if it's a real emu. A real emu (hack of a pre-existing one for example) could still contain malware.

Maybe I'm being too cautious by I'm mefiant about closed source emus that pop out of nowhere with annonymous authors..
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

I scanned it, no viruses and trojans found with Antivir.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

yeah I hope none of you jumped the gun and tried it. it comes up clean on my virus scan, but there's a lot of fishy shit about it. each text file in the folders says "romh was here," wtf does that mean. the exe compressed a great deal, pry cause most of the shit in the file is air. plus there's raw uncompiled C code near the end of the exe. wtf.

fully emulates the psx, yet waited until now to release it. I didn't try it, but looks too good to be true.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Wow, it ran Tales of Phantasia at an okay speed. The music and voices sounded great too. I'd say this is going to become a great emulator.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Well, I finally figured out why I was stuttering. He's got some powersave option that comes enabled by default. I never thought this would've been the problem, but it was. Disabling gave me steady 60fps. It was dropping to 50 with it on.
www.zapatabase.com
Chickenlump

Post by Chickenlump »

I am loving the debugger. ^_^

This isn't too bad at all for a first release.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

False alarm, it reappeared again. It's actually stuttering in windowed mode, but not fullscreen. Prob some sync issue. I'd edit my post, but the forum isn't letting me.
www.zapatabase.com
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I start actively using this emulator if the author could just add a good way to handle different CD image formats and/or make it so that the emulator actually recognizes a DT drive as a valid CD drive.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

For a first release it's pretty good. I'm sure he'll get most of the bugs worked out. It's also a ps2 emulator for people that don't know. Just use -? on the command line to get the switch for ps2 mode.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Hyos wrote: On the other hand, if anyone can add features you have to chose one version you like without features of the other versions, it almost always is a trade-off, I experienced this with VBA and DOSBox the most.
Almost always?
There are at least two dozen open source emulators today, and only two or three of them have been forked.
On the other hand, look how much got contributed to ZSNES because it's open source.
And VBA is having forking issues at the moment because the official team doesn't seem to be doing much with the code going around (although I admit some of the patchers could be passing out incremental patches).

If not for VBA being open source, this would not exist: http://bisqwit.iki.fi/nesvideos/movies. ... id=4,5,6,7

If this emulator was open source, I also suspect FitzRoy's cd image problem would've been solved by now as someone would've added support for all image formats immediatly.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Lizking »

phonymike wrote:yeah I hope none of you jumped the gun and tried it. it comes up clean on my virus scan, but there's a lot of fishy shit about it. each text file in the folders says "romh was here," wtf does that mean. the exe compressed a great deal, pry cause most of the shit in the file is air. plus there's raw uncompiled C code near the end of the exe. wtf.

fully emulates the psx, yet waited until now to release it. I didn't try it, but looks too good to be true.
I find it interesting that it asks for a PS2 BIOS as well.
XFALGFM G: A YAUUSK
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

Nach wrote:
Hyos wrote: On the other hand, if anyone can add features you have to chose one version you like without features of the other versions, it almost always is a trade-off, I experienced this with VBA and DOSBox the most.
Almost always?
There are at least two dozen open source emulators today, and only two or three of them have been forked.
On the other hand, look how much got contributed to ZSNES because it's open source.
And VBA is having forking issues at the moment because the official team doesn't seem to be doing much with the code going around (although I admit some of the patchers could be passing out incremental patches).

If not for VBA being open source, this would not exist: http://bisqwit.iki.fi/nesvideos/movies. ... id=4,5,6,7

If this emulator was open source, I also suspect FitzRoy's cd image problem would've been solved by now as someone would've added support for all image formats immediatly.
OK, you are right. I probably mentioned the two emulators with which I experienced branching the most , it is hard for me to choose between the rerecording version, VBALink with the linking feature, and kode's version of VBA for example. Perhaps I should say: Projects gain most from being open source if they have open-minded, active devs.
DEFIANT
Joystick Jedi

Post by DEFIANT »

Won't play "Nuclear Stirike" worth a damn. Graphics are all messed up. Soviet Strike and Nuclear Strike are the reason I started using Playstation emulation to begin with. Even ePSXe doesnt emulate it very well, but It's still more playable then this emulator. Maybe I'll post a bug for it on his site.
[img]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2365/pirateuserbartv2.jpg[/img]
E=mc²
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people." -V
[url=http://sc2.sourceforge.net/]The Ur-Quan Masters[/url]
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

I haven't tried it.. So is it safe?
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

I've been using it for a couple of days now, and I have yet to encounter any problems that might conceivably be caused by it.

Anyhow, the reason it has raw C code in it is because it does dynamic recompilation.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Bah, I no PSX emulator will ever be complete until it can run without requiring a bios. Why has there been no developments for this, besides ancient comercial emulators?
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome