Star ocean sound bug

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Black_Moons

Star ocean sound bug

Post by Black_Moons »

Im using ZSNESW_0803 with what appears to be a double patched rom version of star ocean, Under latest snes9x all is fine, However on the above zsnes verison, after a few battles, all world map music cuts out. Sound is still present, and in battle music works, but world map music is compleatly silent. Also it seems later on zsnes is prone to crash
Can send savestate with it before and after 'silence' and the bug is repeatable on my system at least, within 1~4 battles or so.
Also repeatable with SRAM savestate. This is from a snes9x savestate. Just tryed playing from start of game with zsnes
Works fine till you get to the world map, then *some* graphics are screwed up and music is gone.

exact filename is Star Ocean (English Translation).smc
CRC32:6BA9E08D
(from rominfo.txt)
Sound settings, video interpolation settings and such seem to have no effect
Mexandrew
Taco Kid DX

Post by Mexandrew »

Try the newest WIP if you are using soft-patching. Can be found here or here
B R O K E N .
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

It is a known bug.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Use the in-game save function (not states). States will keep freezing at the exact same point when reloaded. not normal saves

Make sure you save often and it'll be ok.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Black_Moons

Post by Black_Moons »

'ingame' saves also bug out after a few fights
tho if what Joe Camacho says is right. Then I guess theres not much point in continueing on, except that people do see this as a bug that deserves some priority
JFD62780
Rookie

Post by JFD62780 »

I've heard that this bug is in the actual game, but it can be worked around. Just leave the area you're in ASAP, to try to force the background music to change, then come back in the area, then save your state, so it'll have fully intact music, as well as restabilized gameplay, again. :D
Until next post...
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

JFD62780 wrote:I've heard that this bug is in the actual game, but it can be worked around. Just leave the area you're in ASAP, to try to force the background music to change, then come back in the area, then save your state, so it'll have fully intact music, as well as restabilized gameplay, again. :D
Yep..On the original jap cart,the game's music would just randomly stop playing every now and then..also the game would just crash on you all the time...The original game behaved like that...Not

Actually, this is not an original game bug..heck it's not even an emulation bug...it's a patching bug therefore it cannot be considered a real "bug" at all (I hope indeed this is not a "known issue"...We're not going to try to fix bugs that are caused by faulty -patching- are we??)

Before announcing a bug: Try the unpatched rom (verified with nsrt). Needless to say, don't use the rom in conjunction with sta or srm from the patched version, this can cause problems.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I can tell you, this is not a patch issue. It's probably a timing bug.

The one bug that was in the game is the 'new talent freeze' bug.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Dmog wrote:
JFD62780 wrote:I've heard that this bug is in the actual game, but it can be worked around. Just leave the area you're in ASAP, to try to force the background music to change, then come back in the area, then save your state, so it'll have fully intact music, as well as restabilized gameplay, again. :D
Yep..On the original jap cart,the game's music would just randomly stop playing every now and then..also the game would just crash on you all the time...The original game behaved like that...Not
Carts can also have bugs, like FF3. I rest my case.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Joe Camacho wrote:
Dmog wrote:
Or Mega Man X...It did the copyright protection reset on me. :lol:
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Joe Camacho wrote:
Dmog wrote:
What case? The original games sometimes had bugs we should therefore assume that every bugs (gfx,sound, gameplay,game crashing etc) we encounter on the emulator was also present on the original system? Can you indeed confirm that SO behaved that way on the super famicom?

I know original carts sometimes had bugs..Heck sometimes the game would literally crash on you.

But on the other hand, when people argue that X game crashed on the original system when they clearly didn't (Earthworm Jim2 for example or Breath of Fire2) it's another ballgame entirely...

Reporting an emulation bug when the game simply acted this way's not good..but neither is saying that x bug is natural when in fact, it wasn't present on the original system.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Dmog wrote:
Joe Camacho wrote:
Dmog wrote:
And the point..? The original games had bugs we should therefore assume that every bugs (gfx,sound, gameplay,game crashing etc) we encounter on the emulator was also present on the original system? Can you indeed confirm that SO behaved that way on the super famicom?
The point is that there is a possibility, right now I can't confirm, but I'm quite sure that someone with a cart has reported this kind of things also....
I'm not saying that this is a cart bug, but I'm pointing the fact that it could be, taking the fact that SO has some cart bugs that have been confirmed.

Now, your actitude (sp?) against the possiblity is that it can't happen, well, you are wrong, it may happen, I would like to note that I didn't say "SO's cart has this particular bug." but I said "Carts can also have bugs." opening the posibility, not stating a fact.

For the record: It is not a good idea to generalize.
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Joe Camacho wrote:
Dmog wrote:
Joe Camacho wrote:
Dmog wrote:
And the point..? The original games had bugs we should therefore assume that every bugs (gfx,sound, gameplay,game crashing etc) we encounter on the emulator was also present on the original system? Can you indeed confirm that SO behaved that way on the super famicom?
The point is that there is a possibility,
Agreed.There.
right now I can't confirm, but I'm quite sure that someone with a cart has reported this kind of things also....
I'm not saying that this is a cart bug, but I'm pointing the fact that it could be, taking the fact that SO has some cart bugs that have been confirmed.

The known SO bug are another issue entirely. We're talking specific,unconfirmed gamebug here.
Now, your actitude (sp?) against the possiblity is that it can't happen, well, you are wrong, it may happen, I would like to note that I didn't say "SO's cart has this particular bug." but I said "Carts can also have bugs." opening the posibility, not stating a fact.

For the record: It is not a good idea to generalize.
For the record: I didn't generalized. Read again. I never said that it's not a possibility that the bug could have been present on the original. I cannot confirm it,I never played the original game...(anyone here who played the original SO please rise...) Nor did I ever said that those type of bugs never occured in games on the original system.(In fact, I specifically did) You said that was my opinion..Well that's completely false.It certainly is not. You cut the part where I basically said:

We don't know one way or another, so let's not jump to conclusions

So like I said: In the past there have been instances where people reported (emulation) bugs where none existed, and..the reverse have also happened...people saying that's normal when objective testing on the original system demonstrated it wasn't.

Just to say, caution is in order in both cases.

I do believe it's pretty unlikely that such recuring and severe glitch in SO were originally present...but I am not saying there's not a possibility that such bugs existed.I say unlikely,not downright impossible.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Great, at least we agree in something. :)

I was using the other bugs, as proof/evidence of bugs in SO, if there are confirmed bugs in a cart, than another bug could be classified as such, although It looks like this issue is fixed in snes9x, I wasn't referring to them as the same bug.

gen·er·al·ize

To reduce to a general form, class, or law.
Here, you are saying that those things couldn't happen, even without playing the original cart. (Although I didn't knew that, but maybe you did. But as you didn't tell that you did, I assumed (sp?) that you didn't) But you didn't leave the possibity that it *might* be a cart issue, you just said that it couldn't be. Like stating that because it was a cart, it couldn't have bugs.
I state that carts can have bugs, opening the possibility of a cart bug, but not stating it has a fact. Oh, and tha "case" thing is an expression, don't worry about it.
What case? The original games sometimes had bugs we should therefore assume that every bugs (gfx,sound, gameplay,game crashing etc) we encounter on the emulator was also present on the original system? Can you indeed confirm that SO behaved that way on the super famicom?
There you go, The difference (sp?) between this bug and any random bug in a random game, is that there are cart bugs confirmed in SO. We were talking about SO, not every game in existence.
I know original carts sometimes had bugs..Heck sometimes the game would literally crash on you.

But on the other hand, when people argue that X game crashed on the original system when they clearly didn't (Earthworm Jim2 for example or Breath of Fire2) it's another ballgame entirely...
Yes, now I'm aware of your knowledge of the issue, by experience, EWJ2 crashed on me just one time, in the original cart, I didn't played BF2, bugs don't happen everytime, in every cart, that's why sometimes these claims can be hard to believe. Some times the conditions are not met for the bug to surface, etc.
You cut the part where I basically said:

We don't know one way or another, so let's not jump to conclusions
Well, I read five times each of your posts, in the first you "basically" said that it couldn't be a cart bug. Then you wrote that assuming a bug in a buggy cart as another cart bug would result in judging every game bug as such (Making a statement that EWJ2 didn't crashed, but it did to me :roll:) . After that you really explained your position, and I understand it now. Sorry if I misread you, but you might think better and instead of assuming that people will understand that without using those words, just write them. :)

Am... I was going to continue, but I'm tired... I'll just say that I'm with grin on the timming stuff. I wish I could remember where I read that this happened in the original cart. No hard feelings, K'?

Edit: Maybe this thread needs to be locked.
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Allright, whatever gets you off man..You've clearly exposed yourself as someone who argue for the sake of arguing, and this, even after an agreement has been reached over the main point, which is "We cannot confirm it one way or the other"

You continue your pathetic, and frankly pointless, arguments. Even after they have been thoroughly explained...No matter how often I explained it,you'll keep repeating "Ahgwa..but YOU say: "Yep..On the original jap cart,the game's music would just randomly stop playing every now and then..also the game would just crash on you all the time...The original game behaved like that...Not "

You seem to enjoy long sessions of self-indulgent mental wanking..suit yourself. (On a similar note: I do not speak gay-language, so I do not know what "SP?" means)

Maybe this thread needs to be locked.
I guess you're the type of coward that spit on people from a relative safe place, and when they see you...RUN FOR IT! :lol: Just an image

Edit:
Well, I read five times each of your posts, in the first you "basically" said that it couldn't be a cart bug.
No I didn't. Which only prove that you have reading comprehension problems.

Also, don't be too verbatim mate :wink: (Look up 'literal' in the dictionary) If someone explain to you what they originally meant, try to -focuse- on the present...learn to adapt..your brain has a capacity to learn gasp! 'new' informations.Use that wonderful gift! lol all right take care dude
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Pointless.

Locked.
皆黙って俺について来い!!