Chou Mahou Tairiku Wozz

A forum for admins and moderators to move verified bug posts to. Only move topics here if they are indeed verified bugs.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

creaothceann
Seen it all

Chou Mahou Tairiku Wozz

Post by creaothceann »

Nightcrawler wrote:Chou Mahou Tairiku Wozz
Sprite Priority problem most likely.
ZSNESW 10/19 WIP

This bug has been in ZSNES as long as I can remember. (Apparently it has been around for 4 years or longer.)
In battles, the cursor appears behind the enemy as well as the damage inflicted. On the real SNES, this is supposed to appear on top of the enemy.

Code: Select all

---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
       File: Chou Mahou Tairiku Wozz (J).SMC
       Name: ┴«│╧╬│└▓╪╕WOZZ        Company: Bullet-Proof Software
     Header: Exists (type?)           Bank: LoROM
Interleaved: No                       SRAM: 64 Kb
       Type: Normal + Batt             ROM: 24 Mb
  ROM Speed: 120ns (FastROM)       Version: 1.0
   Checksum: Good 0x515D             CRC32: B3258F38
--------------------------Database--------------------------
   Name: Chou Mahou Tairiku Wozz
 Port 1: Gamepad                 Port 2: Gamepad
Genre 1: RPG                    Genre 2: Turn Based
This is how ZSNES renders the screen: link. And SNES9x's screen: link. The damage chars and enemies are sprites.

A known bug... (bugzilla link), but the following info might've not be known so far.

Damage sprites: index of ca. 100, priority 2
Enemy sprites: much lower indices (eg. 20..30), priority 3

The higher priority of the enemy sprites should not matter, since the damage sprites have a lower index (due to FirstSprite) and override this priority (see anomie's register document).

Btw, in SNES9x savestates "FirstSprite" is set to a value different than zero (eg. 82). ZSNES seems to have this variable ("objhipr") always set to zero in savestates, probably during gameplay as well. This could also be part of the problem.
Last edited by creaothceann on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

I think I have probably brought this bug up once or twice a year for four years now. (Thankfully it was added to the system the last time finally).

Hopefully this new found information will help somebody decide to take an honest look at it.

I also have reason to believe fixing this bug will fix the same issue in other games. I can't recall titles off hand anymore, but I distinctly remember seeing some priority bugs in other titles. Obviously, there may be multiple priority/layering bugs, but this is at least one of them.

When the fix is made, and we can determine exactly what the problem and fix is, we should notify Anomie to edit his documents(if they are found to be wrong on this issue) because he currently has the most accurate documents there is right now.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Since we're speaking of unemulated stuff...
d4s wrote:there is a map in the original bof2 game that uses pseudo hires and it displays fine in both zsnes and snes9x, that seemed weird to me.
In ZSNES, values written to $2133 get ANDed by 41h, which clears the H-512 bit. So how could it display properly? Maybe it was emulated in earlier versions?

This would help with the transparency effect in Jurassic Park.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Has this issue changed? I thought there were some Wozz fixes at some point in time.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

A quick check shows that the bug seem to be fixed. Haven't played much though.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs