Mega Man X questions

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Mega Man X questions

Post by Deathlike2 »

I understand there are two versions of this game (well, the US version anyways). ZSNES works better with the 1.1 version (I forget which thread I read for this info). Why is the 1.1 version emulated, and not the 1.0 version?

Is the current emulation of the chip just a hack, or actual emulation?

Occasionally, the powerups dropped by enemies disappear when it hits the ground. It occurs more often on the 1.0 version and sometimes on the 1.1 version. Is that a symptom of incomplete emulation/hack of the chip or is it incomplete emulation of the game?
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Wasn't 1.0 the one with the copy protection stuff on it?
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

There is no chip.

Improper mirroring.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by franpa »

the chip you speak of is only in megaman x 2 and 3 not megaman x 1.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

franpa_9 wrote:the chip you speak of is only in megaman x 2 and 3 not megaman x 1.
Oh...I guess I got them mixed up.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

snkcube wrote:
franpa_9 wrote:the chip you speak of is only in megaman x 2 and 3 not megaman x 1.
Oh...I guess I got them mixed up.
Deathlike did, actually.

If I recall, BOTH versions of Megaman X have copy protection, but ZSNES has a hack for 1.1.
I could be wrong.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I'm not mixed up with the chips.. I already know Mega Man X don't use the same chips that Mega Man X2+X3 use.... I should've called it copy protection.. or whatever it is.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

its nothing to do with copy protection... thats just a side effect of what it does... its an extra processor i think. (built into the game cartridge/console)
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

Megaman X1 has a copy protection where it mirriors rom data into some kind of memory. This is cause X1 has no sram, so when you try to play it on a copier(which has built in sram) the copy protection stops the game from working. Something like that.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

ok thanks... didnt realize that.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Gil_Hamilton wrote: If I recall, BOTH versions of Megaman X have copy protection, but ZSNES has a hack for 1.1.
Had a hack. Each one has a different kind of mirroring check. We pass one but not the other.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Nach wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote: If I recall, BOTH versions of Megaman X have copy protection, but ZSNES has a hack for 1.1.
Had a hack. Each one has a different kind of mirroring check. We pass one but not the other.
Once in a while, the hack doesn't work... though it comes and goes (it's infrequent and very random)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Nach wrote:
Once in a while, the hack doesn't work... though it comes and goes (it's infrequent and very random)
I just said had a hack. The hack we had did work. We no longer have a hack.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Nach wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:
Nach wrote:
I just said had a hack. The hack we had did work. We no longer have a hack.
Well, I'm not aware when this hack was removed. I'm only saying that the last time I've extensively played Mega Man X, the emulation of the mirroring check did randomly fail. I guess that was before the hack was removed.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Nach wrote:
HOORAY!
cibomatto20022
Hazed

Post by cibomatto20022 »

So Megaman X (1.0) is not a good copy to have

is there any more games like this that ZSNES needs 1.1 and not 1.0
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

general rule of thumb... always use the latest version of roms unless you want to use cheats and cheats only work on a specific version of rom.

also pal isnt fully supported yet so basically only like 2% of all pal games will work without issues.
Blasingame
Hazed

Post by Blasingame »

snkcube wrote:Wasn't 1.0 the one with the copy protection stuff on it?
they had copy protection on the SNES? i can't imagine how people would try to mod their console to play a pirated game lol.

speaking of which, anyone hear of that site that featured a german product that rewrote the SNES cartridge so you could transfer roms back onto the cartridge? I remember it did something like erase the EEPROM. So basically you could patch a game and play it on the console
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

What you speak of is known here, it is the site of a German guy who modified SNES cartriges by writing data onto eproms and replacing the original ones on the cart. He used old Illusion Of Time/Illusion Of Gaia carts. That way he made a German Seiken Densetsu 3 cart, German Bahamut Lagoon, German Final Fantasy VI, English Rockman & Forte and so on. You can find it here:

http://snesdev.romhack.de/
Bahamut_ZERO_Clue

Post by Bahamut_ZERO_Clue »

Makes me want to reflash my Lufia 2 cart with my patched up one to fix all the crap they didn't clean up.
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

Bahamut_ZERO_939 wrote:Makes me want to reflash my Lufia 2 cart with my patched up one to fix all the crap they didn't clean up.
I do not have this patch yet, where can one get it from?
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

Blasingame wrote:
snkcube wrote:Wasn't 1.0 the one with the copy protection stuff on it?
they had copy protection on the SNES? i can't imagine how people would try to mod their console to play a pirated game lol.

speaking of which, anyone hear of that site that featured a german product that rewrote the SNES cartridge so you could transfer roms back onto the cartridge? I remember it did something like erase the EEPROM. So basically you could patch a game and play it on the console
The SNES console itself did not have built-in copy protection. A handful of games had innovative copy protection.

The same backup devices that allow you to copy ROM data to a PC also have internal memory that allows you to load games and play them on the real console. These devices allowed people to play copied games before there were emulators for any console. :roll:

I've been using my N64 devices to play games that have never run correctly on emulators.

Capcom figured out a way for the game software to determine whether-or-not it's running on a backup device by checking for SRAM save memory, which that particular game is not supposed to have inside the cart. Because backup devices were designed to allow you to play any game (including those with SRAM), the SRAM is detected by Megaman X and the game exhibits intentional problems that make it difficult or impossible to

The actually did SNES require a special chip to be present in each cartridge. Backup devices got around this requirement by allowing you to insert any cartridge, which has pass-thru connections so that the internal chip is read by the SNES. When this was engineered, it was really meant as a way to prevent companies from selling SNES-compatible games that were not licensed through Nintendo. I've only seen one unlicensed SNES game, and it required a piggy-back cartridge on the top.