SNES NTSC Composite Video Filter

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Dmog wrote:Can't wait to see it in bsnes.
If you took a look near the beginning of this thread, you can find the link to download the beta version of BSNES to test it.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
byuu

Post by byuu »

... there are only a handful of games that actually use pseudo hi-res ...
Pseudo hires is rare (2 games I know use it, 2 other games I have heard use it), but "true" hires is quite common :/
SoM, SD3, Rudra no Hihou, GOD, Madara 2, RPM Racing, Tokimeki Memorial, Romancing SaGa 3, SNES Test Program ... those just off the top of my head.
Can't wait to see it in bsnes.
It's already in bsnes v0.015 rc1. The next version should be out soon enough. I have to perform the monumental task of importing my GUI library into bsnes, which will subsequently break all of the Windows UI work. But when finished, it will greatly clean things up. And if some kind soul ports my UI library to unix, then we will instantly have a fully featured UI for the unix port.
After that's done, I'll release v0.016.

pagefault has outdone me by adding all of the options for the filter into the UI. I have not gotten around to adding these options in to bsnes' UI as of yet. However, I at least have global brightness/contrast/gamma adjust, so you're really only missing merge fields and sharpness adjust. Hue and hue warping I can't imagine anyone ever using.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

byuu wrote:pagefault has outdone me by adding all of the options for the filter into the UI. I have not gotten around to adding these options in to bsnes' UI as of yet. However, I at least have global brightness/contrast/gamma adjust, so you're really only missing merge fields and sharpness adjust. Hue and hue warping I can't imagine anyone ever using.
You'd be surprised that even though they may be the least likely to be tweaked.. never underestimate the demand for "minor features".. at least in this case.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Dmog wrote:Can't wait to see it in bsnes.
If you took a look near the beginning of this thread, you can find the link to download the beta version of BSNES to test it.
Error message cannot dl :/

edit: Nevermind: IE gives me Bullshit but it works fine in Firefox (yeah, I still use IE once in a while...bad habit lol)

edit2: Doh. Guess my directx version is too old for the rc_1 release...
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

byuu wrote: pagefault has outdone me by adding all of the options for the filter into the UI. I have not gotten around to adding these options in to bsnes' UI as of yet. However, I at least have global brightness/contrast/gamma adjust, so you're really only missing merge fields and sharpness adjust. Hue and hue warping I can't imagine anyone ever using.
Thanks, but it's doesn't really matter at this point because there are some issues right now getting it to play nice with our video code. Windowed mode was easy to do but full screen is proving to be more of a challenge, it works fine at 640x480 but after that I need to start scaling if it is to fit the screen in a nice way. Because the buffer is 600 pixels wide the next fullscreen resolution that can be scaled without screwing up the scanlines is 1280x960. So it's a bit of a dilemma I am trying to solve right now.

I think I have found another game that uses Pseudo hires, check Arkanoid, in the intro it seems to be using a hi-res mode but I have not checked which yet. I don't think ZSNES displays it properly either because it looks kind of odd, like it has scanlines.

I'm still needing to look through the hires blitter already in ZSNES to see how the hell it works so I can attempt to get the NTSC filter working but I have so much other stuff to work on right now that is more important that I haven't had any time to do it. But you are right it almost isn't worth the time to put in because there is hardly anything that uses it, and when it does it's maybe for a small part of the game. I don't think the average person is even going to notice until they have played the game a lot.
Sith
Lurker

Post by Sith »

byuu wrote: The next version should be out soon enough.
Allrighty, can't wait for v0.16

and Zsnes v1.43 too. :)
[url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com/]Zsnes WIP[/url]
[url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/?page=bsnes]Bsnes[/url] by Byuu
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion[/url] by SteveSnake
[url=http://www.viceteam.org/]Vice[/url] by Viceteam
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

The 'Rare' logo in DKC1-3/KI may use pseudo hires (or real hires) too.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

grinvader wrote:The 'Rare' logo in DKC1-3/KI may use pseudo hires (or real hires) too.
blackmyst wrote:Though in both DKC1 and 2, the rare logo is rendered in double horizontal resolution when it has zoomed out into the bottom right corner. Don't know how much of the screen area this affects, but yeah.
I feel so ignored. </tear>

KI and DKC3 don't do this, btw.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Aaron
Lurker

Post by Aaron »

byuu wrote:And if some kind soul ports my UI library to unix, then we will instantly have a fully featured UI for the unix port.
What GUI library :)? GTK+? Qt? I've been interested in learning either; say which, and I'll learn it to make the GUI for bSNES. Sounds really fun.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

I believe Ball Bullet Gun is one of those rare cases in which Hi-Res is used for the whole game.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Ball Bullet Gun appears to use a lot of hi-res in the in-game menus. The rest appears to be normal res. You can tell when it's hi-res since it is unfiltered even with a filter enabled (such as hqXx).
cdbsi
Rookie

Post by cdbsi »

Dang, i love this filter! It is so authentic.

It's great to see that zsnes is still very much in development, and i'm really liking all of the changes in the new wip. :D
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

cdbsi wrote:Dang, i love this filter! It is so authentic.

It's great to see that zsnes is still very much in development, and i'm really liking all of the changes in the new wip. :D
WTH have you been?
I summon you to come onto IRC immediatly, I have some stuff for you.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by creaothceann »

Nice to see you back. :wink:
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Still working on integrating the filter. It has led me to recode the entire windows video code from the ground up in Direct3D8. Plus any video mode that is supported by windows will be automatically added to the GUI video options. One advantage to this is that you can finally turn off the filtering you get when you use HW scaling.
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

pagefault wrote:Direct3D8
D8 or D9? What's the functional difference?
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

The rest of the code is also DirectX 8 plus I don't want to get into the DLL hell people have been having with DX9. Any shader things will be probably supported in OpenGL which will be on Linux and Windows.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I don't particularly understand how people have been having the DLL hell with DX9... it would be easier IMO to get the redistributable versions of DX9 over the webupdate versions simply because you're guarenteed everything will be included.

Jipcy, the real difference between D3D8 and D3D9 is the ability to use SM2/SM3 (assuming you have the hardware support)... that's practically it. That and DX9 is not installable on Win95 (though it doesn't matter since noone should be using that OS anymore)..
BFeely
Rookie

Post by BFeely »

So will there be hires and pseudo-hires in the filter? And will 448 line mode be properly interlaced?
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Hires won't be supported in the filter for a while. It currently isn't worth the effort to make ZSNES work with it for the amount of games that use it.
byuu

Post by byuu »

D3D9 gives you :
- SetDialogBoxMode: use menus and GDI windows in fullscreen mode
- StretchRect: hardware 2D texture scaling, avoid using 3D textured quads to draw the screen, much faster on cards that support it
- Pixel Shader 2.0/3.0: hardware HQ2x, anyone?
- Multiple render targets
- Multi-head support

D3DX9 gives you :
- Headaches with missing d3dx_nn.dll files. Easy enough to link to microsoft.com to download the files, but your program no longer runs on vanilla XP installs. D3DX is optional, and is not needed to use D3D9. I use it solely for D3DXSaveSurfaceToFile. It lets me take screenshots in BMP, PNG, and JPEG format with a single line of code. I may end up removing it though, the d3dx thing is annoying.

Win98 is almost discontinued by Microsoft as well.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

byuu wrote: D3DX9 gives you :
- Headaches with missing d3dx_nn.dll files. Easy enough to link to microsoft.com to download the files, but your program no longer runs on vanilla XP installs. D3DX is optional, and is not needed to use D3D9. I use it solely for D3DXSaveSurfaceToFile. It lets me take screenshots in BMP, PNG, and JPEG format with a single line of code. I may end up removing it though, the d3dx thing is annoying.
I would think that depends on the compiler.
When I compiled bsnes yesterday I pulled out a DLL list:

Code: Select all

USER32.DLL
COMCTL32.DLL
COMDLG32.DLL
d3d9.dll
d3dx9.dll
ddraw.dll
dinput8.dll
dsound.dll
GDI32.dll
KERNEL32.dll
msvcrt.dll
USER32.dll
I see no d3dx_nn.dll.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

HLSL is too crazy for me to support. I think I will only do shaders in OpenGL so I don't have to worry about linux.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

pagefault wrote: One advantage to this is that you can finally turn off the filtering you get when you use HW scaling.
Brilliant.
ICEknight
Rookie

Post by ICEknight »

I'd suggest to add an option to remove the scanlines in this filter, since that would make it look almost (or exactly?) like in PAL TVs.

I've just compared it in Nestopia with a real PAL NES and the visible artifacts seem to be the same or at least quite similar.