Hail to the Zhi

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: Hail to the Zhi

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:How come? Xenogears, for example, is an incomplete game that, if done by a competent team, could be an awesome 3DS port/semi-remake.
Xenogears will NEVER be completed. The original team is scattered to the winds.
Even if they COULD be brought back together, they are not in the same place they were fifteen years ago.
It will never be completed as it was supposed to be.

Any follow-up that IS released will be officially licensed fan-fiction. Nothing more, nothing less.
For some games this doesn't matter. For Xenogears, it very much DOES matter.
Monolith could probably NAIL that. SE is so shitty these days that they'd turn XG into a shitty, artistically bankrupt phone turd.
Isn't that what Monolith did?
Yeah, yeah, Xenosaga TECHNICALLY isn't Xenogears, but it was rather blatantly hyped as coming from the same place, and it jumped the rails FAST.

I know you want FF to die ASAP since the brand is being further destroyed/milked by SE's shitty phone ports,
I never said that. I said I want it to die because it is carte blanche to make a shitty game and not care.
YOU'RE the one bent out of shape about Android/iOS remakes. I don't give two shits about them either way.
If a superior company DOES acquire SE's IPs, are you concerned that said company would abandon their core games in order to cash in on FF's name or something?
Abandoning any semblance of credibility in order to do lazy cash grabs is literally the ONLY reason to make a Final Fantasy game.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:The original team is scattered to the winds.
Even if they COULD be brought back together, they are not in the same place they were fifteen years ago.
It will never be completed as it was supposed to be.

Any follow-up that IS released will be officially licensed fan-fiction. Nothing more, nothing less.
Having the original PSX game completed, on an actual PSX disk playable on the original console, without changing/ruining the already existing rest of the game, used to be something I really wanted. But I honestly don't care anymore at this point. I'm sure the original script and/or design doc still exists somewhere. If they can make something according to that, with a bit of production value, as long as the dev is competent I couldn't care less who does it.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

I know this is getting off the subject a bit, but Gideon Zhi has done a HELL of a job creating translation patches. His work on translations is presidented, and I really don't care if the dialogue for the game is changed. You have to remember that the dialogue doesn't distract from the original gameplay henceforth it really shouldn't matter. Spoofs are funny and I really have no mind that the dialogue is changed as long as it doesn't avert from the gameplay. As long as the game play is still there and as long as you've already played through the original RPG it shouldn't matter. Games like Tales of Phantasia on the zsnes were executed beautifully if not by AGTP translations. Still Zhi is superb at making translations such as Treasure of the Rudras and Live A Live were awesome. As long as you understand what to do in the game it should be no problem. Story critics can just shove it. Because the game is not translated purely doesn't mean the translation is bad.

In any case Zhi has done a hell of a job and deserves much praise. You rock dude, wooo!
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Gil, I'm with blackmyst when it comes to XG, but ONLY if the original script and design documentation still exist somewhere. Hypothetically, a XG "remake" should basically be a port with slightly better graphics and a complete 2nd half of the game. I've never played any of the Xenosaga games, so I can't comment on them.

Gil, my issues with the mobile market are:

1. Many Japanese companies are cashing in on the massive mobile market by making cheap, shitty games instead of creating quality games for dedicated handhelds & home consoles.
2. Sleazy practices like microtransactions are becoming more popular on home consoles at least partially due to their success in the mobile market.
3. Mobile games are becoming more and more popular every second, and the quality bar for phone/tablet games is much, MUCH lower than it is for dedicated gaming platforms. Mobile has the potential to destroy the markets for dedicated handhelds AND home consoles. If that happens, I think quality games will become very rare.

Much like other entertainment media, once something becomes a huge, mass market phenomenon, quality & artistic expression usually take a dive. I believe the mid 80s-around 2005 was the "golden age" of gaming(I wasn't alive during the beginning), and things will likely continue going downhill from here. DLC abuse, microtransactions, and more companies focusing on cheap mobile garbage will accelerate the downfall of quality gaming. Dedicated gaming hardware becoming "outdated" is not going to be good for us consumers. Personally, I'd LOVE to see Japan regain their dominance in the(dedicated) gaming market. Unfortunately, many formerly great Japanese companies are substituting cheap mobile cash grabs for quality, artistically beautiful games.

tbh, I think the entire industry needs a HUGE shakeup.
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

I think you have to remember also that some mobile games that are made are also emulated remakes from past games too. You may not agree with me, but with the JRPG market, I still have a little faith for the fact there is still some innovation out there. Don't make fun of me for this, but I was a big square follower and not just because of the company. Most of the games they put out there were high quality. But because I am a TRADITIONAL square fan, the fact that they cash grabbed on Eidos kind of irritated me a bit with games like Tomb Raider and Hitman. I don't emphasize TRADITIONAL in a bragging way either. I emphasize it is in stick to your guns sort of way. Of course other JRPGs and translation companies like Capcom with its breath of fire and Konami for Castlevania is great. I guess since I am narrow about Square I've pretty much been a fan of them until they started taking over Eidos with Tomb Raider and Hitman. Being as it may I read about that Final Fantasy mix up on the cell phone that sounded unlike a traditional Final Fantasy game. Final Fantasy All Out or something or another, but my point is this.

A lot of people think JRPGs are getting stale. But just ever since Square took over Eidos I felt it was them just money grabbing. Well maybe with some people. Anyways I'm probably going to stick with Final Fantasy XIII on my xbox 360 and play some of Zhi's games while I'm at it. But no seriously. I can't stress enough how much Gideon Zhi has been an inspiration to translations and some of the best known emulated gaming translations known to man. 10 stars my good man.

Also I would like to add that I'm concentrating on other skill sets at the moment, but someday I hope to get into programming to make some high quality programs too that everyone can enjoy. I'm not just saying that, I know a little of C++.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote: Gil, my issues with the mobile market are
not my issues, so don't credit them to me.
That's the full extent of my concern with your issues.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
So what does all of this have to do with Gideon Zhi again? If you don't like mobile games don't play them. It shouldn't be an issue then.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Gil often acts like a nerdy, pretentious teenager for no apparent reason. His custom title fits him perfectly.

Anyway Mark, I became a huge Squaresoft fan after FF6 & CT came out; I played FF4 after beating #6. I think the quality of their JRPGs started taking a dive after FFX(wasn't a fan of 8, but 9 was fantastic). 10 wasn't bad, don't get me wrong, but it tried too hard to be cinematic, was WAY too linear, and just didn't have the same "charm" the earlier games had imo.(plus Tidus is obnoxious) More power to you if you dig FFXIII, but I couldn't stand it despite giving it several chances. I loved the sense of adventure and exploration the older FFs gave me(despite being mostly an illusion). Squaresoft used to make the best games on the planet(imo), but modern SE is only concerned with milking their IPs to death as cheaply as possible.

The mobile "remakes" of FF games are cheaply made cash grabs that aren't worth anyone's time, much less peoples' money.

Although Gideon Zhi is(was) the main subject of this thread, why not talk about fan projects in general? FF5 was my first experience playing a fan translation(FF5+ZSNES got me into emulation). Also, I never would've had the opportunity to play Seiken Densetsu 3 in English without fan translators. The amount of work that goes into hacking and translating games, especially big RPGs, has got to be INSANE.
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

Yuber wrote:Gil often acts like a nerdy, pretentious teenager for no apparent reason. His custom title fits him perfectly.

Anyway Mark, I became a huge Squaresoft fan after FF6 & CT came out; I played FF4 after beating #6. I think the quality of their JRPGs started taking a dive after FFX(wasn't a fan of 8, but 9 was fantastic). 10 wasn't bad, don't get me wrong, but it tried too hard to be cinematic, was WAY too linear, and just didn't have the same "charm" the earlier games had imo.(plus Tidus is obnoxious) More power to you if you dig FFXIII, but I couldn't stand it despite giving it several chances. I loved the sense of adventure and exploration the older FFs gave me(despite being mostly an illusion). Squaresoft used to make the best games on the planet(imo), but modern SE is only concerned with milking their IPs to death as cheaply as possible.

The mobile "remakes" of FF games are cheaply made cash grabs that aren't worth anyone's time, much less peoples' money.

Although Gideon Zhi is(was) the main subject of this thread, why not talk about fan projects in general? FF5 was my first experience playing a fan translation(FF5+ZSNES got me into emulation). Also, I never would've had the opportunity to play Seiken Densetsu 3 in English without fan translators. The amount of work that goes into hacking and translating games, especially big RPGs, has got to be INSANE.
I've become a huge follower of Squaresoft since Secret of Mana way back. I don't mean to try to be loyal to the company and Enix in general, but you have to admit back then Squaresoft was a giant rpg king. I mean I loved all of the snes final fantasy games. And I'm big on translations. aka. Bahamut Lagoon, Live a Live, Tactics : Ogre, Treasure of the Rudras, Megaman and Bass etc., but mind you I did not think Tidus was obnoxious, he was just a big crybaby. As far as Final Fantasy XIII is concerned the "main" reason I love it, is because you can stagger enemies and rack up insane amounts of damage to bosses and behemoths which are my favorite enemies in the game. Plus passive abilities like Faultsiphon, Launch and Smite turn the tide and because Lightning is a really bad ass character.

Although being oldschool; enix games like 7th Saga and Robotrek I thought were better than the games square and enix both made when they were merged together. I've only really begun to give up on square-enix a bit when they started taking over Eidos. I was generally a bit peeved because I thought they needed to really just stick to their guns and leave eidos alone. Being that as it may yeah I can't think how much time it must take to write those scripts. I just don't know how Zhi programs that stuff. Oh wait, Bahamut Lagoon was done by Dejap, my bad. But yeah square-enix I feel has gone down a little just because of the fact that they took over Eidos. :|
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Yuber wrote:Gil often acts like a nerdy, pretentious teenager for no apparent reason.
pot, meet kettle. on the intarwebs, we all have our pretensions sometimes.
Yuber wrote:The amount of work that goes into hacking and translating games, especially big RPGs, is INSANE.
fixed and qft.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

Speaking of which, Zhi has just finished Ys 5 for the snes. I played a little bit of it, plays like Ys 6 for the psx. http://agtp.romhack.net
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Mark57Raider wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
So what does all of this have to do with Gideon Zhi again? If you don't like mobile games don't play them. It shouldn't be an issue then.
I'm not the one that launched the derail.

He's explaining his problems with cellphone games
because he said I didn't like cellphone games
And listed his reasons for not liking them
While attributing those reasonse to me
And I pointed out I didn't say anything ABOUT cellphone games
And he KNOWS I don't care about any of that
Because we've had this same conversation a dozen times in a dozen equally unrelated threads.

So somehow I'm in the wrong because he launched on another unrelated tirade no one cares about instead of apologizing for putting words in my mouth? Get bent.

Yuber wrote:Gil often acts like a nerdy, pretentious teenager for no apparent reason. His custom title fits him perfectly.
NO REASON, MY ASS!

And I AM nerdy, but neither pretentious nor teenaged.
If I wanted to look important, I'd ask someone to reinstate me as a mod.
And then I'd ban everyone for rule zero violations.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
odditude

Post by odditude »

Mark57Raider wrote:Speaking of which, Zhi has just finished Ys 5 for the snes.
guess what prompted the thread in the first place?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

blackmyst wrote:I'm sure the original script and/or design doc still exists somewhere. If they can make something according to that, with a bit of production value, as long as the dev is competent I couldn't care less who does it.
Anyone's free to try. Well, if they wait for the copyrights to drop.

Gil_Hamilton wrote:If I wanted to look important, I'd ask someone to reinstate me as a mod.
And then I'd ban everyone for rule zero violations.
Straight back to 5-star admin, dood. No fucking halfassed weaksauce lukewarm mod JB on my watch.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

I'm a little excited about playing Ys 5, since I liked Ys 3 : wanderers from ys and Ys6 : Ark of Napishtim, thing is I'm playing the original zelda right now and I'm very close to beating Ganon. Haven't yet, but close. I just need to find the red ring, and the freaking spell book I missed in dungeon 7 and I'll be all good. Don't have to worry about Silver Arrows since I picked them up near the middle of the game. It's just that keys and bombs are the problem so after maybe I kill off ganon if I do, I'll try to get into either trying out Legend of Zelda : Adventure of Link or Ys 5. Yes I do suck at the original zelda because of my slow game play skills. So I have the triforce and went a little through dungeon 9.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I've never played any of the Ys games or many other cult classics(need to play BoF 1-4 too). nintendo_nerd was kind enough to tell me about BoF2's retrans(by ryusui or however you spell it). I've played Bahamut Lagoon and Rudra briefly, but mostly just to test the patches. As much as I bitch about the modern gaming industry, I'm very thankful for emulation & fan translators. There are so many games in the JRPG genre(s) alone that it'd take me a few lifetimes to complete them all.

@Gil: You said you didn't give a shit about ios/android ports, and I argued that you should care because mobile trends often bleed into dedicated console & PC gaming. I called you pretentious because you could easily be more respectful, but you have a habit of intentionally acting as condescending as possible. It's not a huge deal but it seems like you genuinely think you're better than everyone else, not just me. Geeks kick ass, but acting pretentious makes you sound like some teenage hipster wannabe. I can be a dick too, but I'm giving you a hard time because your posts display a pattern of pretentious, condescending tones/behavior.

@Mark: I've never been into Eidos' games, but SE as a whole has fallen drastically since ~91-early 00s. I can understand why people enjoy FF13's battle system, but I don't even like that aspect of the game. As far as Lightning goes, I see her as SE trying way too hard to create a female Cloud & failing(not much personality). I dislike FF13's story, characters, battle system, crafting/upgrade system, the crystarium(sp) etc. I don't wanna shit on your tastes, but FF13 just isn't my style. I do like that the enemies are visible on screen as opposed to random battles, but I feel Chrono Trigger pulled that off much more effectively.(no separate battle screens)

I'll try to stop derailing, but if I do derail I'll keep the OT shit much shorter.
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

@ Yuber : I honestly haven't been much into Eidos either. I've played the original Tomb Raider, Hitman Contracts, and Fighting Force. Generally I just could not see SE taking over games like Hitman. It's just not their style if you know what I mean. Square in particular didn't really team up with Enix until 2003 with Unlimited Saga being the first Square-Enix game.

That being said, yes a lot of people disliked final fantasy 13. I have no idea why, but they did. I thought the battle system was rock solid. The crystalarium was okay, but what got me were the fast paced battles. Maybe you didn't like it because you only controlled one character in a fight. Arguably even though your characters are computer controlled in fights, you can change the way they fight through specific roles. As far as chrono trigger, I think final fantasy 13 had the better handle on the fights. And I say that for two reasons. Both have limited space, you can't move anywhere you want in battle in chrono trigger or final fantasy 13. But the reasons are that preemptive attacks are not random in final fantasy 13. A. You can actually sneak up on enemies and get a quick kill by using deceptisol or normal means by sneaking via metal gear solid like. Don't worry I'm not comparing THOSE two games, just giving an example and B. You can go quick into battle fortisoling yourself or aegisoling yourself. By that I mean going into battle with Haste, Bravery and Faith. With Aegisol, you can quickly fight your foe with Vigilance, Shell and Protect, with that being said in Chrono Trigger you simply go into battle. Also that being said in ff13 sometimes you have to fix your position ahead of time with different actions and each action you do in battle has a certain consequence. Your actions can be interrupted if you don't act fast with your moves on the screen. The fun thing is, with boss fights you are constantly and I mean constantly switch paradigms and roles IN BATTLE.

If you go on the offense too much and don't defend you will die, on the flip side if you are defending a lot you will have a hard to chain staggering an enemy and you will always be doing weak damage. So you have to balance offense,balanced and defense manuvers to ensure the best results of each fight. In chrono trigger all you do is wait until you can wait for a dual tech or triple tech and take out the enemy which only takes about 1 second to recharge. Plus in final fantasy 13, you can chain up to 6 commands in one action so there is definetly a lot of strategy there too. Mind you though that's why I think ff 13 is good, because they've added new additions to the system worthy of it's title. Sure chrono trigger was great for its time and has nice replay value, but the point is you can't compare the simplicity of chrono trigger's battle with final fantasy 13's.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I'd be more tolerant of FF13's battle system if I didn't dislike the story & characters so much. The whole paradigm shifting system is clever, but 13's battle system just wasn't enjoyable to me even once I knew what I was doing. I never got GOOD at it, but I generally knew what I had to do. CT's system is so good because it was kept simple, fast, and most importantly, FUN. Single techs are generally more efficient damage-wise, but the dual & triple techs are just flat out cool. They're sometimes really useful for elemental or AOE reasons though(namely early in the game). CT having no separate battle screens makes the game more immersive to me + the battles aren't nearly as annoying. It's mostly a psychological thing, but CT nailed everything, not just battles. CT is my favorite game ever & FF6 is a VERY close #2. I found FF13 beautiful graphically, but that's the only positive thing I have to say about it. I disliked the characters/story, didn't find the battles fun, and I especially hated the suffocating linearity. I dislike FF13 enough that I'll never play it again. I'm not a big fan of FF8, but it's not AWFUL & I do replay it once every few years. Not gonna happen with 13.

The crystarium doesn't fully unlock until you beat the game; that's an inexcusable flaw in my eyes. Nothing against you man, but we have VERY different tastes regarding FF13. I'm even a tiny bit jealous that you enjoyed it, because I tried my damnedest to enjoy myself but I disliked every linear, tedious second of it. 13 was the 1st FF game I genuinely hated, but the series has been going downhill since 10 in my view. XII had some great moments, but the story fizzled out at the end + I hated the random drops/treasures. IX was the last FF game I loved.

Again, I don't wanna shit on a game you love, but we're gonna have to agree to disagree. How do the sequels compare? While I hate the very idea of sequels to mainline FFs, I'm curious enough to ask you about them(but not enough to buy em).
odditude

Post by odditude »

achievement unlocked: dueling walls of text!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote: @Gil: You said you didn't give a shit about ios/android ports, and I argued that you should care because mobile trends often bleed into dedicated console & PC gaming.
But before you informed me that nothing exists in a vacuum and that video games influence other video games(with a healthy dose of "the end is near" paranoia on top of it), you did this:
Yuber wrote: I know you want FF to die ASAP since the brand is being further destroyed/milked by SE's shitty phone ports...
And when I called you on it, you pretended you never said it and I was ACTUALLY complaining because I don't understand your hatred of games on pocket computers.
I called you pretentious because you could easily be more respectful, but you have a habit of intentionally acting as condescending as possible.
I'm not condescending. I'm blunt. Possibly irritable. Probably irritable.
If I were condescending, I'd use little words. Then I wouldn't confuse people with simple brains, like the Dinobots.
As far as Lightning goes, I see her as SE trying way too hard to create a female Cloud & failing(not much personality).
See also: Every Final Fantasy lead ever.
Yes, even Terra.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Cloud had personality?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Johan_H wrote:Cloud had personality?
Nope.
Nor does Squall, Butz, Terra, Cecil, the Light Warrior in the front rank, etc.

I choose Terra as the star of FF3 because she's the initial focus and the one in the J game logo/all over the J box.
Certainly a case can be made for Celes, but... that doesn't actually help the case of "dull and uninteresting star" very much. Though with all that marching through the snow they do, I want to buy them both a pair of pants.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

can you ask for better pants than a magitek armor though? : P

also just to be clear that wasn't an objection with a questionmark after, it was re: "SE trying way too hard to create a female Cloud & failing(not much personality)."
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I'm not condescending. I'm blunt. Possibly irritable. Probably irritable.
If I were condescending, I'd use little words. Then I wouldn't confuse people with simple brains, like the Dinobots.
why you think grinlock stupid ? me not stupid.
grinlock smartest dinobot of all !
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

@Gil: Your irritability shows in your posts, and it makes you seem very pretentious & condescending. You're so anal that you pick out TINY mistakes in peoples' posts and badger them for no good reason other than to annoy people it seems. To be blunt, it seems like you enjoy taking out your apparent misery irl on random people online. I have no idea what you're like in person, but that's the only explanation I have for your condescending, irritable, overly anal behavior on the forums. You could just be trolling; I dunno.

As far as FF characters' personalities go, I find the storytelling in general to be much better in the older games(namely 4, 6, 7 and 9). Even though their writing isn't exactly professional level, the older FFs' stories are usually well paced, full of intrigue, suspenseful, and very good at conveying emotion moments with Uematsu's fantastic music. In 13, you have to read through the datalog to really know what's going on, and even then, the story just sucks imo. The characters are incredibly boring(imo) and the linearity is so stifling that you're unable to explore anything aside from that one big grassland area.(forgot its name) 13 is all about graphics with no real heart/substance in my view.

Much of FF7 is about Cloud finding his true self, so it's a bit unfair to knock his personality since he had no true personality throughout most of the game. Same goes for Terra, who was stolen away by Gestahl as a baby after he invaded the esper world & murdered her mother. FF6 is an ensemble cast anyway. The FF games as well as many other JRPGs are centered around character development. Terra becomes much stronger both physically and emotionally as FF6's story progresses, and Cloud finally admits who he really is after the Coma/falling into the lifestream. I'm not gonna go into great detail because this post is already too long.

FF9's characters(Amarant & Quina are the weakest links) are full of personality, and they develop in very dramatic, often touching ways. It's hard to argue against that if you've actually played the game. If you dislike the FF series, just say so dude. Lack of charm and/or personality generally isn't a problem in FF games in my view. You seem to be at least partially relying on negative stereotypes of FF games and story-based JRPGs in general.