Hex Editor

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

How long have you known about Hex Editors?

What's a Hex Editor?
7%
Since I started learning about computers
49%
Since I got into emulation
26%
After I was into emulation for a while
19%

Total votes: 43

Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Hex Editor

Post by Nach »

Do you know what a Hex Editor is? How long have you known?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by DataPath »

I remember hex editing moria saves back in the mid- to late- 1980s
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

I had to vote since I got into Emulation. Its what drove me to leard QBASIC, so I didnt have to fire one up every time I wanted to cheat on Final Fantasy 2 or 3.
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

I first encountered hex editors way back when I was doing script-kiddyish Windows hacking. Like "de-compiling" programs, changing the text of the Start button (OMG!), other silly things like that.

Oh, and using Litestep. Now there's a way to decrease Windows stability. But my god, some of the most beautiful backgrounds and visual themes were in those Litestep packages. Still have some of em (somewhat NSFW): http://www.people.virginia.edu/~jpc4x/p ... ounds.html.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
creaothceann
Seen it all

Re: Hex Editor

Post by creaothceann »

Nach wrote:Do you know what a Hex Editor is?
yes
Nach wrote:How long have you known?
It's been ages... :? I remember Norton Commander having a hex. viewer mode, and DLH distributed an utility called DLHex. These were probably the earliest I saw.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Yes, I know what a Hex editor is.

I've personally never used one until I was comparing ZSNES movies that Nach sent me on IRC, and they wouldn't play, so I had to hex edit a certain line.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Yes, I've known what a hex editor is for a long time. I rarely have the need to use one though.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

XE.COM the best.
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

I can't even think about when I first learned what a hex editor was. Way before emulation though.
~Bent
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

it's a witch who works at the witch newspaper and filters out only the best news from other witch reporters.

does anybody know what an apple is? I think they're blue.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
nemo
Rookie

Post by nemo »

Been using Hex editors for a while. I honestly cannot remember why I needed the to begin with. I think I used Hackman? Something like that? It was coded in VB (haha), but was actually pretty good. They developed it more (still in VB) and it got worse and worse, last I remember it was near unusable. Don't have much use for them anymore. No time to mess around with hex editing.
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

I didn't use computers much until I got my old Pentium 1 all those years ago, it was at that time when I heard about hex. Despite a few times that I needed to use a hex editor I didn't because not only did not know which editor to use since I've never used one, but someone had already edited what I needed to after a little while so there was no need in the end. To this day I still haven't used one.
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

I do know about hex editors (swapping constantly between XVI32 and Hex Workshop), but not because of emulation, but Starcraft modding. I am not quite sure if I was aware of emulation back then, but it is likely I already did.
_-|-_
Lord Alpha
Lurker

Post by Lord Alpha »

I don't use 'em that much, but I've been aware of their exsistence since the DOS 6.22/Win31 days
It is better to be silent and thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

I am Zophar, Master of Sh*t!

[url=http://archlyn.bravejournal.com]View my blog[/url]
nemo
Rookie

Post by nemo »

Hate to hijack (Alright, I'm kinda ok with it) but what hex editors do you guys use nowadays? Had to use one the other day to "convert" from file formats. (Some N64 game save format container. Has some kind of header, then a massive string of zeros, then the eeprom contents, then another massive string of zeros, and then maybe a tail, I can't remember. I just had to cut out all but eeprom). I used something called Hack off sf.net. If you are looking for a good hex editor, then that's not for you, heh. Shiat.
[quote="asfan42069"]now that i think about it... the rev is just an emulator itself with a couple rev only titles[/quote][quote="Magus`"]THE STUPID, OH GOD IT BURNS[/quote][quote="Joe Camacho"]I'm going to print this thread and tape it on my fridge.[/quote]I missed you guys.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Hmm, let me remember.

Got the 286 when I was 7. Got the Bard's Tale trilogy roughly one year after that.
You can guess when I found a use for hexediting - it's the same day I found what 'overflow' was, and how dumb programmers are to use signed ints for money/exp (without checking for overflows).

Hmm, 16 years ago, brings back memories. I should replay these games one of these days.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

nemo wrote:Hate to hijack (Alright, I'm kinda ok with it) but what hex editors do you guys use nowadays? Had to use one the other day to "convert" from file formats. (Some N64 game save format container. Has some kind of header, then a massive string of zeros, then the eeprom contents, then another massive string of zeros, and then maybe a tail, I can't remember. I just had to cut out all but eeprom). I used something called Hack off sf.net. If you are looking for a good hex editor, then that's not for you, heh. Shiat.
HexWorkshop helps you define some c-style structures for easier reading of some elements. You might want to go check on that.
_-|-_
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

I tried to use one together with a tile and a sprite editor to change the colors of Lucca in Secret of mana but i ws unsussesful. I never tried to hack a game ever again.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!