What does the board need

Got a suggestion or complaint? Go ahead and share, but please be nice about it.

Moderator: General Mods

zoink
Rookie

Post by zoink »

<opinions>
custom member titles -> ok, ppl can have fun there
postcouts disabled
karma - never. no. retarded
spoiler tags would be nice, but you can always use a small font to hide spoilers...
<spoiler>like this</spoiler>
filter sig pics and avatars larger then 20-50kb and filter by pixel dimensions
less l33tnes
i'd type more but my hands are tired
</opinions>
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Maybe a trash bin for threads that contain nothing of value (spam, ROM requests etc).
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
snes6502
Rookie

Post by snes6502 »

Mods that don't lock threads about Visual Studio especially when they are in refernece to porting ZSNES (i.e. making it more avaialble to the masses)

That one still boggles my mind
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

zoink wrote:spoiler tags would be nice, but you can always use a small font to hide spoilers...
like this
It's more effort to type size tags and it's also more effort to reveal.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I think anyone who has been here for longer than 2 years should leave for a couple of months. Then newbies will create a new community, unlike the current environment where no one new is allowed in unless they can withstand immense scrutiny. If nothing develops, I don't think there is anything that will create new interest here.

But really, having a few new zsnes releases would likely liven things up. Back in 2001/2002 when there was a release every month or so brought in a lot of people.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

On a website I frequent, there used to be a spoiler tag taht would generate a button labeled "Show spoiler". Only when you clicked it the spoiler would be revealed before your eyes.
_-|-_
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

badinsults wrote:I think anyone who has been here for longer than 2 years should leave for a couple of months. Then newbies will create a new community, unlike the current environment where no one new is allowed in unless they can withstand immense scrutiny. If nothing develops, I don't think there is anything that will create new interest here.
Hah, you know, that's actually a pretty clever idea. I don't think many regulars would really want to do that though.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

It's kind of hard to "make" a board more interesting - that has to do more with the quality of the posters. New worthwhile people are only going to post if they have something intelligent (or funny) to say, and any other newbies will just get their threads locked like usual.

I think the bigger question is "how do you get more people to the board in the first place?"

I've been a ZSNES user since the first GUI release, and yet I didn't check out the board til last year. Even after reading the board consistently for months, it was only recently that I bothered posting (and realized how out-of-shape my coding is). If I'm representative of a lot of board viewers, then the only way to get the number of people posting and participating is to get more people to the board in the first place.

I think a great way to do that would be to put a link on the main www.zsnes.com page saying "Check out the _forum_ for news and updates" or something like that. More traffic, more posters, more 1337.

Maybe I'll get all excited about my postcount when it reaches 25. ;)
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

badinsults wrote:I think anyone who has been here for longer than 2 years should leave for a couple of months. Then newbies will create a new community, unlike the current environment where no one new is allowed in unless they can withstand immense scrutiny. If nothing develops, I don't think there is anything that will create new interest here.
Including developers?

I think the primary intent of this board is for community-based technical help and discussion about ZSNES. A secondary result of that is that the community can also discuss some non-ZSNES, and non-emulator things.

Of course, that may not be what actually happens in practice.

Anyway, if all the knowledeable and experienced people leave, there will be many fewer people to answer tech questions. And no developer input. I'd say there's a high degree of institutional memory in this community.

Regardless, probably the most potent thing to increase traffic on this board is a WIP or official release.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Does the board really need anything but an enema to remove the stick fromn a couple people's asses?
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

the fact that the front page is never updated would make people not want to visit the board, since they think the place is dead.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

It seems that no one who has posted in this thread remembers that we do have custom titles. It's just not a function any member can access.
Everything I say is a lie.
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

so when will some of these things be implemented?
bringing Zsnes back
Oskar_Hanberg
Starzinger Addict

Post by Oskar_Hanberg »

herzog wrote: Oskar: You are always bitching about post counts, and you have often accused me of posting to make my count larger. I do not give a shit about post counts. I post whenever I feel. The last time that I cared about post counts was when I was at around 200 posts, which was the most that I had accumalted at any board.
This board has a pretty relaxed athmosphere. Many posts are silly and a tad non-sensical, especially in the General Nonsense forum. I think that you are confusing these kind of posts with "posts which would not exist were it not for postcounts." However, the other ZSNES related forums are a different matter. People are quite serious and to the point in these forums, as it should be. I just looked at the top 25 posters ion the memberlist, and I cannot think of one person who posts to make his "e-penis" bigger. Even Fireknight/Cyrus tries to make sense, even though he fails miserably every time.
Then I assume you are saying that noone would really care if postcounts were disabled? If so, It should be disabled. I know there are people who think they are cooler the more posts they have..
"All kinds of private exploitation is theft in the sense that what exists in this world belongs to all of us, and so called 'Intellectual property', or software, is no exception to that"
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

DarkBenny wrote:so when will some of these things be implemented?
When _demo_ actually comes to the board.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Here's an example of the lockaholic mod syndrome...

http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6909

Is that really spam? The guy is having a legitamate seminar in Athens on ROM hacking. How else is anybody supposed to know about it. It's not different than Gideon announcing his patch releases there. Why isn't that spam?

This may not be the best example, but it happens in a similar fashion all over the board. Topics are locked with very little logical obvious reasoning.

If people aren't fighting, or violating board rules, there is no good reason to lock a topic. It certainly does seem at times things are locked just because they don't agree with the mod.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Nightcrawler wrote:Here's an example of the lockaholic mod syndrome...

Is that really spam? The guy is having a legitamate seminar in Athens on ROM hacking. How else is anybody supposed to know about it. It's not different than Gideon announcing his patch releases there. Why isn't that spam?

This may not be the best example, but it happens in a similar fashion all over the board. Topics are locked with very little logical obvious reasoning.

If people aren't fighting, or violating board rules, there is no good reason to lock a topic. It certainly does seem at times things are locked just because they don't agree with the mod.
Well... that last poster was a bot. He also posted some generic ads about boats over at whattheboat. But AoL really does get a little carried away sometimes.

Hanberg: You are such a petty little jew.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

god dammit

here we go again D:< :roll:

in any case, the poster who necromanced that thread was posting useless spam. I locked it for necromancy, and spam.

I ask again, this time in a more open thread:
adventure_of_link wrote:PS: I ask: why is it when I do something I think is right, two people, (well in this case, nay, the whole board) had to be in a drama uproar ?!
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

adventure_of_link wrote: I locked it for necromancy, and spam.
I can see why you locked it, but that might have been a good thread to leave open. You could have deleted his post.

adventure_of_link wrote:PS: I ask: why is it when I do something I think is right, two people, (well in this case, nay, the whole board) had to be in a drama uproar ?!
Maybe it is because posters do not trust or respect you. You became a mod because a joke that I made backfired and you do get a little lock-crazy sometimes. Just calm down. There will be plenty of threads to lock in the future. There is no hurry.
DEFIANT
Joystick Jedi

Post by DEFIANT »

When in the hell do I get a turn modding? :D
[img]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2365/pirateuserbartv2.jpg[/img]
E=mc²
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people." -V
[url=http://sc2.sourceforge.net/]The Ur-Quan Masters[/url]
Lizking
Hazed

Post by Lizking »

adventure_of_link wrote: in any case, the poster who necromanced that thread was posting useless spam. I locked it for necromancy, and spam.
It was -2 weeks- old. On the DeJap board. there are threads on the dejap board that were inactive for almost a year before they became active again.
Spam though it may be, you could have just deleted the fucking spam post.
XFALGFM G: A YAUUSK
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

DEFIANT wrote:When in the hell do I get a turn modding? :D
when you've been here longer than the other mods

and lay off AOL everybody, he is a decent mod and I think he understands your concerns now
bringing Zsnes back
snes6502
Rookie

Post by snes6502 »

Topics are locked with very little logical obvious reasoning.

Could this be another example of this:

http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6592

Why exactly was this thread locked? All locking this thread did was delay my progress on ZsnexBox. There is no ZsnexBox team. It's just me, and when I came looking for help the topic was locked.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
DEFIANT
Joystick Jedi

Post by DEFIANT »

DarkBenny wrote:
DEFIANT wrote:When in the hell do I get a turn modding? :D
when you've been here longer than the other mods

and lay off AOL everybody, he is a decent mod and I think he understands your concerns now
Well dammit, I wanted to start unlocking everything AoL locked and watch him freak...hehe :P
[img]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2365/pirateuserbartv2.jpg[/img]
E=mc²
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people." -V
[url=http://sc2.sourceforge.net/]The Ur-Quan Masters[/url]
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

snes: I'm almost certain Nach asked me to lock that one.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.