UDP not working with forwarded router to DSL modem

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Idioteque Dance

UDP not working with forwarded router to DSL modem

Post by Idioteque Dance »

Hello!

I'm wondering if anybody could help me with my predicament. Me and my friend have been playing DKC3 co-op via TCP, and it's been pretty okay, even with latency 0 because since you take it in turns, it's only laggy when the other player is playing (probably for some technical reason I haven't looked into yet). However it's still pretty annoying and since UDP seems to be some sort of magical fairyland protocol with zero lag I wouldn't mind getting it working, but it's not connecting at all. My friend is hosting the game with his DSL modem and I have a Netgear wireless router. I've forwarded the port on both protocols, and as far as I know there's nothing else that really needs doing. Can anybody spot anything I'm still missing out on? My friend doesn't need to do anything, right?

When I try to connect to him it says Init Server: Done and stays trying to connect, and my friend's ZSNES says found client but won't connect after that. Strangely before I set up the forwarding properly, it connected to the chat dialog but games wouldn't open.

Thanks!
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

What LAN IP address are you forwarding to? I hope you're not forwarding to your public IP address (starts with 172.202.xxx.xxx).

Also, a lookup of your IP says it's from AOL DSL. Make sure any software firewalls are disabled, including AOL's, Windows' and any third-party firewalls like ZoneAlarm, McAfee or Symantec/Norton or configure them to allow the incoming ZSNES connection.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Idioteque Dance

Post by Idioteque Dance »

No no, it's my private IP. I have to say I'm a bit confused with setting up a static IP, my IP address in ipconfig has a particular address but my TCP/IP config has gone back to "Obtain automatically" since I came back from uni, but my port forwarding for Azureus makes me fully connectable to the static IP I set up before I left, so I just used the same LAN IP that I am using for Azureus. I assume it works because ZSNES via TCP is much better than it was before.

Regarding the firewall, my friend has supposedly disabled all of his, and I don't have any extra software firewall installed, and I have Windows Firewall disabled - and since I'm on a router, I can access the internet without using AOL's annoying program because it's a direct connection with a username and password in the router's configuration. This still wouldn't make AOL put on some stealth firewall would it? Bearing in mind the AOL software isn't installed on my PC full stop.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

some ISP's may block out UDP, iirc.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't be one bit supprised if they were blocking incoming UDP connections.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]