Star Ocean Battles

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Sferics
Regular

Star Ocean Battles

Post by Sferics »

To start things off, I have just started playing Star Ocean for the first time because of all the praise I have heard for it. And so far, it is a great game, even as early on as I am.

Now, to get to the point. On the last Zsnes board, I remember reading something about the abnormally fast-paced battles, and how this was a glitch with Zsnes. I have also noticed this when playing the game, and it makes the battles VERY bland, and so quick you can't plan strategies or plan ahead. By the time you use a healing item you character gets hit multiple times and he faints.

So basically, what I'm asking is if there is anything to fix this? Like a special patch for the rom. Or a special Zsnes build that remedies this. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

Uh, pretty much, I think you have to use Snes9x
Everything I say is a lie.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Oblivion wrote:Uh, pretty much, I think you have to use Snes9x
You are correct. I wonder if pagefault is fixing this issue for the next official release...
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Well, the other option is to always be in select mode:

The 'overclocked' battle returns to normal speed once you push 'A' once. From this normal-paced situation, you can press X to bring up the skill/item/tactics/etc. menu [pauses the battle], then, if you cancel the menu with B, the battle remains paused, but you have the attack cursor on, meaning you can choose as slowly as you want between targets and carefully think on what skill to use.

In the battle's beginning, press B for a pause that allows you to switch main character (even if ratix becomes useless...) then do as above, hit A, X, B, choose target, attack/technique, A/X/B ...and so on.

Hope this helps.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Sferics
Regular

Post by Sferics »

Hey, thanks Grin. Gets kind of an annoyance after awhile, but will work until Zsnes fixes this.
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

It's amazing the lengths to which people will go and be annoyed rather than just take the easy road out and use SNES9x. Not only do the battles work fine in 9x, but you don't even need the graphics packs. And yet people -insist- on using an emulator that doesn't play the game as effectively. Why? What's so -bad- about 9x?
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
Silensho
Eternal Witness

Post by Silensho »

Louis Cypher wrote:It's amazing the lengths to which people will go and be annoyed rather than just take the easy road out and use SNES9x. Not only do the battles work fine in 9x, but you don't even need the graphics packs. And yet people -insist- on using an emulator that doesn't play the game as effectively. Why? What's so -bad- about 9x?
I would dare to say Zsnes would be the default emulator for the masses. I would even believe some people think it's the only emulator on earth.
What?
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Louis Cypher wrote:It's amazing the lengths to which people will go and be annoyed rather than just take the easy road out and use SNES9x. Not only do the battles work fine in 9x, but you don't even need the graphics packs. And yet people -insist- on using an emulator that doesn't play the game as effectively. Why? What's so -bad- about 9x?
Yeah, the first thing I do when something works like crap in ZSNES is fire it up in SNES9x. It's a nice luxary to have BOTH emulators rather than boycot one or the other.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

To clear out things: I personally use snes9x as much (if not more) than zsnes. I proposed that workaround since the other ("use snes9x") was already posted.

It's nice to have several options, indeed.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Sferics
Regular

Post by Sferics »

I never said anything was wrong with Snes9x. That's what I'm currently using and was using when I posted this thread. I was just curious to see if there was a way to make it work correctly in Zsnes.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Well, you've gotten your answer and you know what you must do now. For the best Star Ocean experience use... *shudder* the OTHER brand SNES emulator! :lol:
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.