ZSNES for Intel Mac ready for consumption!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

hector
Rookie

ZSNES for Intel Mac ready for consumption!

Post by hector »

Hi everyone,

Just a little note to let everyone know that ZSNES on Intel Mac has reached a fairly mature stage. You can try it out by going to:

http://hectorchu.googlepages.com

If it works for you then let us know here!

It has only been tested on 10.4.6 (Tiger), so I can't guarantee that it'll work on earlier versions.

The only serious bug is that you can't use 8-point sound interpolation. Everything else works great! Though if you find other bugs please post here.

Also, can someone with two mice test out the ManyMouse feature. Thanks!

This will not work on PPC Mac DO NOT EVEN THINK about asking about it

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit by Nach:
The above is an old WIP build.

A proper build of the current latest version, 1.51 is here:
http://krade.com/zsnes/ZSNES-1.51.dmg
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

How do I get it working on a PPC mac? :lol:
Master O
Hazed

Re: ZSNES for Intel Mac ready for consumption!

Post by Master O »

hector wrote: This will not work on PPC Mac DO NOT EVEN THINK about asking about it
pagefault wrote:How do I get it working on a PPC mac? :lol:
hahahaha... not funny...
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

praying to the gods of Power should do it
Cecil
Paladin

Post by Cecil »

:roll: x86 emulator. Now working good... well, that's another story.
System Specs:

2.2GHz Athlon64 X2 4400+, 2GB DDR 400 SDRAM
EVGA Geforce 7600GT 256MB
Realtek AC '97
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
tehnick
Hazed

Post by tehnick »

Someone care to update the binary with latest SVN so we can mess with the new custom font thing? :P

Tested & working under latest update to 10.4.7 btw.
rando.calrisian

ZSNES on new Mac Mini

Post by rando.calrisian »

OI!

Man, I was terribly excited when I found this forum and subject matter. ZSnes has always been my favorite emulator (far better than Snes9x) and I was getting discouraged in my attempts to get it for my new Mac. I'm running the Core Duo 1.66 Ghz system with 2gigs of memory and was trying to compile the source code for ZSnes, but I'm just no good with Darwin command interface. This .dmg, however, worked like a charm. The only problem I've run into is that for some reason I can't get my Secret of Mana .srm to be recognized by the game through this emulator. If I start a new game and make a new srm, that works, but the file I'd created through snes9x isn't recognized, even though it's of .srm format.
Who can afford Chrono Trigger for $80 from auctioin?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

i think the Linux srm files are not cross emulator compatible.... unless it was that Linux srm files don't work on windows equivalent emulators.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
rando.calrisian

Updates

Well, after messing with it some more, I find that I can't save the game through .srm files, but I can load them and then use freeze states. That's not a terrible loss.

Where do you think updates to this emulator will be posted? Is this not quite official or what? It's not listed on zophar (which from my understanding is the most comprehensive emulator and rom hacking webpage by far) and it's not a download from the zsnes main page.

If it's okay that I ask, along with my other question, how did this mac intel version come into existance?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

rando.calrisian wrote:Where do you think updates to this emulator will be posted? Is this not quite official or what? It's not listed on zophar (which from my understanding is the most comprehensive emulator and rom hacking webpage by far) and it's not a download from the zsnes main page.
I'm not entirely sure if the Mac port needs a patch to operate with ZSNES.. it probably does somewhat.. but in theory, you should be able to follow the standard SVN/SDL compiling instructions and you should be fine (though, you MUST obtain code from SVN since 1.42 was not meant for the Mac port). The Mac port is an extension of the SDL port. There won't be any new official updates until there's a new official version.

Have you even paid attention to the news posts that get posted @ Zophar's? That place is way way behind... it's not even the mirror to ZSNES (it's currently just an archive). Remember that the Mac port is more or less the SDL port that must be compiled.
If it's okay that I ask, along with my other question, how did this mac intel version come into existance?
Very simple.. someone liked ZSNES, someone in the Mac community cares, and here we are now.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

You should be able to compile SDL port for Mac right out of SVN. I do not approve of using the old SVN binary.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

command line ignorance

I hate feeling like such an idiot with the unix command line. I'm totally unfamiliar with compiling source code and building files from them. From everything I've read, any open source software should run just fine in OSX because of the Unix kernel, but I'm even below a novice with that stuff.

Anyone know of some good places to go to learn? I really don't want to have to buy a book, but if that's the best option, just tell me.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Should be as simple as this:

1. cd /path/to/programs/src/here
2. ./configure, or ./Config or ./autogen.sh (this case for ZSNES, ./autogen.sh)
3. make
4. sudo (or as root) make install

Dunno how to do it on OS X, but it's the general idea.

And to build from source, you need the appropriate libraries/compilers ported to your OS. This case, again for ZSNES, you need:

gcc
g++
nasm
libsdl12-dev
automake
make
autoconf
libpng
zlib

Another thing: Even though Mac OS X is Unix based, it is not real Unix.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
rando.calrisian

not unix, but pretty close

Yeah, I suppose it's not true hardcore non GUI unix, but call me a sinner for liking a friendly GUI without the heresy of Microsoft ( I just say this in the hopes that Apple doesn't go down their path). With the use of XDarwin which is the command line interface I can have my system look entirely like a unix box with a gnome interface and all.

I'll try those command lines and see what happens. I'm using Fink as a helper for unix stuff too.

Any other ideas from you command line gurus out there?
BRPXQZME
Hazed

Post by BRPXQZME »

Actually, nothing has really been "real Unix" since 1992 saw the last . Everything else is just an imitation (hence the term "unix-like"). Well, if you look at it from a historical perspective....

There are problems with the latest SVN, and other problems that would probably be fixed if I bit the bullet and just updated the goldurn NASM with hector's patches.

Since he doesn't seem to have made any new WIP's and doesn't seem to be releasing one soon, I'll probably get one up next weekend (when I won't be so busy).

The .app is only an easy method for the end user to use SVN builds; since the OSX version is dependent on the SDL portions, which are only really really maintained on *BSD and Linux (which tend to have much more up-to-date-and-moving-target parts than proprietary OS's thanks to their open-source nature), things keep slipping in that aren't in anyone's OS X... and the dev team doesn't know because they don't maintain it themselves. And of course, old binaries are no good for debugging current SVN code if the code in question has changed.

Blegh, I'm getting ranty here, but the point is really that only YOU can help keep up the maintenance (yayy). Places to learn Unix? Well, I had the help of using Linux for about five years now... so yeah, get cracking. There are probably sites out there that tell you a lot of stuff. But there are a LOT of different things to learn about it. You may have to learn to mess with many different compiling programs and assemblers, shells, obscure commands, differences in the innards of different OS's, GNU autotools, and yadda. It's daunting, but if you're going to be sitting in front of a computer for the rest of your life like I am, it's not too much of a hard task to learn things little by little.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

BRPXQZME wrote:Actually, nothing has really been "real Unix" since 1992 saw the last .
Solaris is a direct decendant of the original AT&T UNIX, still developed, and official certified as being a UNIX.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by DataPath »

UNIX is a registered trademark of the X/Open corporation (also known as "The Open Group").

From the wikipedia article on UNIX:
By decree of The Open Group, the term "UNIX" refers more to a class of operating systems than to a specific implementation of an operating system; those operating systems which meet The Open Group's Single UNIX Specification should be able to bear the UNIX 98 or UNIX 03 trademarks today, after the operating system's vendor pays a fee to The Open Group. Systems licensed to use the UNIX® trademark include AIX, HP-UX, IRIX, Solaris, Tru64, A/UX and a part of z/OS. Apple Computer have stated that they will be submitting Mac OS X Server 10.5 to The Open Group for certification as a UNIX 03 system.
From the wikipedia article on "UNIX 03":
Most Linux vendors do not go to the expense of certifying a given version of their distribution as meeting the SUS. Furthermore, the content of a typical Linux distribution changes so fast that recertification would be required far more often than would be financially viable.

No freely available BSD system was registered as SUS compliant, for the same reasons as Linux.
JoeFramedKeller

Post by JoeFramedKeller »

Good sir, I cannot even get the .dmg file to install... it says "The Following disk failed to mount... reason: not recognized". Yeah, the transition to Mac has been hard...
Soul Colossus
Rookie

Post by Soul Colossus »

Your file might simply be corrupted. I can't imagine OSX not recognizing a DMG file.
BRPXQZME
Hazed

Post by BRPXQZME »

Nach wrote:
BRPXQZME wrote:Actually, nothing has really been "real Unix" since 1992 saw the last .
Solaris is a direct decendant of the original AT&T UNIX, still developed, and official certified as being a UNIX.
BRPXQZME wrote:Well, if you look at it from a historical perspective....
... then Solaris is not Unix. IMHO. (It is however, a UNIX, I'll give you that. The capitalization also matters, and all-caps is a trademark, not an OS.)

Regarding things that do not involve my love of Internet pissing wars:

http://www.tjhsst.edu/~aparthum/zsnes-osx86-4064.patch

- Changes to configure.in are a result of the _gzdirect problem.
- Changes to gui/guifuncs.c are a result of the fact that it gives a Bus Error when it tries to run the function pointer. I don't understand what the root cause of the problem is (because it worked on every test file I could conceive), but the ugly hack included within the patch works, and was the major obstacle to actually having zsnes "working" (other problems were fixed on their own over the past few months, so less work for me, haha!)
<s>- Changes to init.asm ... well, I don't like it when apps crash, even if it's just exiting. Basically, we just align the stack to 16 bytes before we call exit(0). </s> (and pretend html is working)

If you want a ZSNES.app, be my guest. Make one, it'd make me happy. I'm bad at using this "Xcode" thingy.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Apple just released a patch which among other thing I understand fixed some zip issues. Does it find gzdirect now?

The Disk Image Seems Corupt

Post by Psychoactivist »

Well, the title pretty much sums it up. I'm not sure if it's me or something wrong with the file. Anyone else having this problem?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: The Disk Image Seems Corupt

Post by Deathlike2 »

Psychoactivist wrote:Well, the title pretty much sums it up. I'm not sure if it's me or something wrong with the file. Anyone else having this problem?
You are far better off building this from SVN.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
BRPXQZME
Hazed

Post by BRPXQZME »

Nach wrote:Apple just released a patch which among other thing I understand fixed some zip issues. Does it find gzdirect now?
Nope.
Well, the title pretty much sums it up. I'm not sure if it's me or something wrong with the file. Anyone else having this problem?
It's you. But you're not the only one. I sure don't have that problem.

Also, a WIP. Read the readme. If you fail to do this, edison will fuck you up. Download it here:

ZSNES for OS X.dmg
erise

Post by erise »

I can't adjust video screen sizes on ZSNES. I'm running 10.4.8 on an Intel Mac mini. Whenever I attempt to adjust screen sizes the screen goes white.